Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNAs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I have read most of the above posts and find some of the comments quite hilarious.
    Firstly, to clarify, it is 100% NOT an SNAs job to rearrange the furniture.
    Secondly, it is NOT an SNAs job to do your photocopying and tidy your classroom.
    Thirdly, it is 5 days max, either end of the summer holidays that an SNA must be available to carry out duties applicable to the role of SNA.

If there's a job that needs doing in your school, even though there was no special needs child there, then that job is NOT an SNA job.
    If there's a job that needs doing, relevant to the special needs child in your school, that is the job of the SNA.

As an SNA of 13 years I have worked with many teachers, have got on with all of them, carried out many jobs that are not part of my job and will continue to do so. I 100% work as part of a team. I give 100% of myself to the kids I work with. I however will not be treated with disrespect. The attitude of the original poster I think is the main problem here. Not what the SNA will or won't do.

You may wish to refer to the first listed duty of an SNA (circular 12/05): Preparation and tidying up of classrooms.

Our SNAs gladly assist me and others when they have free time to do photocopying. I value this a lot, as I have previously said.

I think it would be fair to say that their assistance in this regard falls under Number 8 of duties of SNA (12/05). 'General assistance to the class teachers, under the direction of the Principal, with duties of a non-teaching nature'. If this was an issue with our SNAs I am sure they would have said something by now. But as I say they are happy to oblige.

You may very well be right Lady_North1 regarding the five days either end of the summer holidays and I am very much open to correction but the same circular (12/05) refers to five consecutive days, but adding up to twelve not ten. But again I am open to correction on that. All I am going on is the circular 12/05.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why exactly would the SNA say 'go .... yourself' if requested to help you tidy up the class?

Alex above put it succinctly. Please note:
    Alex Meier wrote: »
    The "A" in SNA stands for "Assistant" - Assistant to the child not the teacher.
    Yet my question to you remains unanswered . . .

I'll try and simplify this, and add some bold. You see, if the SNA is to assist the child then, well, he/she is not there to assist the teacher in tidying up the classroom. Indeed, if it's too much hassle for the teacher they can always track down the students who messed up the area in the first place and get them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

You may wish to refer to the first listed duty of an SNA (circular 12/05): Preparation and tidying up of classrooms.

Our SNAs gladly assist me and others when they have free time to do photocopying. I value this a lot, as I have previously said.

I think it would be fair to say that their assistance in this regard falls under Number 8 of duties of SNA (12/05). 'General assistance to the class teachers, under the direction of the Principal, with duties of a non-teaching nature'. If this was an issue with our SNAs I am sure they would have said something by now. But as I say they are happy to oblige.

You may very well be right Lady_North1 regarding the five days either end of the summer holidays and I am very much open to correction but the same circular (12/05) refers to five consecutive days, but adding up to twelve not ten. But again I am open to correction on that. All I am going on is the circular 12/05.

If your SNAs are great and do everything you ask as you have described in your last few posts (different to the stories in your first few) what is the point if your thread

seavill wrote: »
    If your SNAs are great and do everything you ask as you have described in your last few posts (different to the stories in your first few) what is the point if your thread
    The point of the thread is stated in my first two posts. Our SNAs are good. There was one difficult incident with a teacher -referred to. It is around this incident that the thread eminates. Posters are asked to share similar incidents and how it was dealt with.
    That's it in a nutshell. I don't think you yourself made any mention of being involved in such an issue and its resolution. But it is aimed primarily at such an audience.
    can you tell me where my story is different? I would like to deal with that as I am not aware of any inconsistencies. I stand over everything.
    By the way I thought you had done a Blatter. But you are back. Welcome.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Alex above put it succinctly. Please note:

I'll try and simplify this, and add some bold. You see, if the SNA is to assist the child then, well, he/she is not there to assist the teacher in tidying up the classroom. Indeed, if it's too much hassle for the teacher they can always track down the students who messed up the area in the first place and get them to do it.

I will refer you to circular 12/05 Appendix 1 to deepen your understanding of assistance.

If i requested assistance from an SNA to help tidy my classroom and I was told by same SNA to 'Go ...k yourself ', I would very quickly refer SNA
    to section 3 of same circular under the heading of disciplinary procedures.
    A colleague telling you to 'Go ...k yourself'! What kind of person is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

It is most definitely 5 days max at either end of the summer holidays. The twelve days you refer to have now changed to 72 hours..... (Under Croke park 1) These hours can be worked in blocks of 1, 2, 3 hours after school to make them up. But 5 days consecutively is the most an SNA can be asked to work.

It is most definitely 5 days max at either end of the summer holidays. The twelve days you refer to have now changed to 72 hours..... (Under Croke park 1) These hours can be worked in blocks of 1, 2, 3 hours after school to make them up. But 5 days consecutively is the most an SNA can be asked to work.

I stand corrected Lady_North1 and am indebted to you. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have seen this quoted a lot yet so many SNAs are working outside this timeframe. As I have said previously, I believe that management in my school take advantage of the SNAs in terms of what they are asked to do and busy work being invented for them to do.

They are currently working Monday to Friday until June 30th. Two of them are very active union members and I have asked them about this before. They say they are contracted to work until end of June and that the 72 hours is outside of this again! This is the norm in my ETB. Is the system different between different employers?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Secondary school SNAs are contracted to work til the end of June and the 72 hours are on top of that. I know it seems unfair as they work longer days than primary SNAs but the contact is the same in that respect. September to June.
    A lot of SNAs don't work June, it's the principal who'll make that decision.

Advertisement