Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christeings

Options
  • 06-06-2015 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I heard is this TRUE that unmarried couples now have to do a parent coarse before U can christen your baby cause U not married

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Was it on google you heard that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, only a child of a married couple is seen as righteous in the eyes of the church.

Hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Some parishes require the parents to complete a baptismal course, but I've never heard of what you mentioned, sounds a bit mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

amie lee wrote: »
    I heard is this TRUE that unmarried couples now have to do a parent coarse before U can christen your baby cause U not married

None of what you hear and most of what you read isn't true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

If the parents were that religious would they not marry before having kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What course does a single parent have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

If the parents were that religious would they not marry before having kids?

Exactly. How can you promise to bring the kid up as a Catholic if you're clearly not adhering to the Catholic way of life yourselves ie living in sin, having a baby out of wedlock etc.

Personally I don't think you should waste your time indoctrinating your child into a religion. Why not respect the child and allow it decide what if any religion it wants to subscribe to itself when it is old enough to make its own mind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Reads like an Prince album sleeve from the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah sure, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Would this be done through the church.. where they will charge money.. do they charge for christings as well? Money racket..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Should be against law to recruit a child into a ancient oriental mystery cult. Its 2015 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I know many unmarried parents and single parents, not one of them mentioned this as a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

A parents course ?? Aw well that will keep the couple busy for the next 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Get in at least 4 crates

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

In my local church there's a baptism preparation evening that all the parents have to go to, regardless of their marital status. I've never heard of unmarried parents having to do extra stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Toots wrote: »
    In my local church there's a baptism preparation evening that all the parents have to go to, regardless of their marital status. I've never heard of unmarried parents having to do extra stuff though.

How can parents who are not adhering to the Catholic way of life seriously swear an oath to ensure the child being baptised will be brought up adhering to the Catholic religion when they themselves aren't adhering to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How can parents who are not adhering to the Catholic way of life seriously swear an oath to ensure the child being baptised will be brought up adhering to the Catholic religion when they themselves aren't adhering to it?

Bums on seats mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

The Church allows the children of unmarried parents to be baptised because they are happy to see the number of Catholics increase.

Doesn't matter too much if the child won't see the inside of a church until their communion, the child will still be a registered, official Catholic. Then when the Church wants to dabble in politics they can say 'We are representing the X amount of thousands of Catholics and we must be listened to because we speak on behalf of X% of the population.' The fact that the X is a massively overinflated number is less relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 psychomantis

This hurt to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So when they rock up to enrol at the local school where all Johnny's friends are going to.... secretary asks for baptismal cert... whatcha gonna do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Cn U chrstn dem in a U-boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What course does a single parent have to do?

The parents are required to complete a spell in a relevant course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

If one is doing it right one is being baptised every day.

catallus wrote: »
    If one is doing it right one is being baptised every day.

Go on...?

endacl wrote: »
    Go on...?

I would have thought it to be self-explanatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Should be against law to recruit a child into a ancient oriental mystery cult. Its 2015 ffs

Oriental? WTF?

It's the Catholic Church not Buddhism

catallus wrote: »
    I would have thought it to be self-explanatory?

Go on...?

:)

Oriental? WTF?

It's the Catholic Church not Buddhism

Originated in the Middle East. Classically, 'the orient'. Which doesn't begin at the Great Wall of China. Poster is correct.

endacl wrote: »
    Go on...?

:)

I'm glad you asked.

You see, the mystery of baptism is such that one's soul is immersed in the holy spirit; the physical enactment of this transcendental phenomenon is but a sorry shade of the true meaning of the rite.

As such, one should yearn to be perpetually immersed in God's salvation through one's thoughts and deeds.

Yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Pure bull****, they'll recruit anyone and anything now to keep numbers up...

Advertisement