Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is alcoholism a disease?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dorethy

Many a year ago I lived in Rathmines. At the 15 bus stop at the swimming pool there used to be a bearded man who seemed to reside at the bus shelter.

As a fresh faced young one, I was frequently red faced with his habit of hailing me and trying to initiate conversation.

Then he seemed to disappear for a few months. I saw him again around the same area and this time he was pushing a council trash cart and he kept himself to himself.

I've often thought of this man and how he turned his life around. I'd bet you any money he didn't do this by embracing moderate drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I've had a look and can safely say that what he describes about AA doesn't match my own experience in rehab.

For one, there's no higher power. Secondly, we'd view the idea of shaming someone for suffering a relapse and for not "giving" themselves to the programme as highly unethical and irresponsible. We actually empowered the individual by telling them to do it for themselves and no one else.

Most importantly, any rehab or detox centre worth its salt is run from top to bottom by professionally trained people barring volunteers.

So I think you are a little wide of the mark by suggesting AA's influence reaches beyond its own corridors.

Just to mention, there are alternatives to AA ... for example, Lifering is a secular group which focuses on the present and future, rather than dwelling on the past. They hold meetings in different parts of the country, it could be an alternative option for those who are wary of the "higher power" aspect of AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Jon Stark wrote: »

The article did raise one good point about success rates but it's hard to define success. Is completing the programme only to relapse 2 days later deemed as success? Is it staying sober for an x amount of years? At what point is something deemed a failure?

That's a good point, there's obviously going to be different opinions on what success or failure means in this context. How would you define a "relapse"? If it means having any alcohol whatsoever rather than returning to out of control drinking then we're still in the realm of the "all or nothing" school, which when applied wholesale to everyone who struggles with alcohol may be counter productive in many cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Custardpi wrote: »
    That's a good point, there's obviously going to be different opinions on what success or failure means in this context. How would you define a "relapse"? If it means having any alcohol whatsoever rather than returning to out of control drinking then we're still in the realm of the "all or nothing" school, which when applied wholesale to everyone who struggles with alcohol may be counter productive in many cases.

We used the term "slip" for the initial intake of alcohol. It's not the end of the world and we'd always encourage that thinking in our patients. That way they wouldn't be afraid to reach out after the slip.

Relapse to me would be a full blown collapse into old habits and cutting off our support networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If alcoholism is a disease, then it is one that has a clear and 100% effective cure. Wouldn't it br great if all diseases were like that. All addictions are a result of the inability or unwillingness of the 'victim' to change their behaviour.
    It must be galling for people who have genuinely incurable or terminal illnesses to hear addicts looking for sympathy for themselves instead of changing their behaviour and thereby 'curing' themselves.

There is an interesting british documentary on YouTube called Rain in my Heart. The people featured are end stage alcoholics, they are going to die if they don't stop.

Seeing the way they drink is harrowing. They simply don't have the option to just 'change' without serious help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

If it is a disease, then it surely will be a genetic one. Then my dad would definately have ruined my life.
    So I do not think it is a disease.

Advertisement