Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge Of Spies (Spielberg & Hanks)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Saw this today, really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Quite liked the film overall, but my God that last scene on the train in America was a stinker. Should have ended the film on the bridge I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw this last night just on a whim and I absolutely loved it. I can see why some folks haven't taken to it, its not full of action or anything like that. But for me it was deep and meaningful, I liked how Hanks' character stood by his beliefs, even when he was getting a tonne of sh1t from everyone, including his wife.
    I had seen the force awakens the day before and was pretty underwhelmed, so Bridge of spies has kind of given me my belief back in good movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Interesting throwback, it seems to be a minor sleeper in the US market, opened modestly but has quietly kept going on a slow week by week decline. Only cost about $40m as well which is practically a short tv series these days!

and sure enough it's quietly paid its way. $130,323,059 so far overall, with a bit of life still in it. I think it'll be one of those films that doesn't really get remembered even within the Spielberg canon but is well thought of by most of those who saw it and it'll be a TV regular as sure as eggs is eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I expect Hanks & Rylance to be up for acting awards for this movie....both are great
    Rylance is the master of understatement in acting...he has the confidence to 'do' little when a lesser actor would 'fill' the part

Those critisizing Hanks don't realize how well he does every man ...not many can carry it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A good periodic piece for anyone interested in the Cold War and Hanks is as good as ever. A film you'll happily watch but wont be rushing out to recommend to friends as a must watch.

solid spielberg / hanks vehicle. not amazing but a good watch that you won't be disappointed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

considering it is Tom Hanks and Spielberg I heard very little about this movie - very enjoyable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Saw this last night. From the reviews its been getting, i found it a massive let down. Hanks was excellent however the whole film was very light and soft i found.

I wanted to gag during that last train scene.

I would have been even more disappointed if i had known that the cohen brothers were writers before i saw it. My expectations would have been even higher

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Disappointing
    What a boring dull movie
    Russkie Spy gets arrested (no background given or show how he was caught or anything)

Boring boring court trial , Hanks defends

Gary power gets shot down over russikeland (they have could have done way more with his story
    a Tv movie was made about it in seventies. Gary should have been THE focus of movie IMO)

Hanks goes to Berlin, few meetings in Berlin he losses a coat

Spies exchanged in most boring exchange in movie history

Hanks goes homes falls asleep

lots of the usually Spielberg schmaltz

I knew all the history before hand so I knew everything that was going to happen maybe someone with no/less knowledge might find it a bit more entertaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Disappointing
    What a boring dull movie
    Russkie Spy gets arrested (no background given or show how he was caught or anything)

Boring boring court trial , Hanks defends

Gary power gets shot down over russikeland (they have could have done way more with his story
    a Tv movie was made about it in seventies. Gary should have been THE focus of movie IMO)

Hanks goes to Berlin, few meetings in Berlin he losses a coat

Spies exchanged in most boring exchange in movie history

Hanks goes homes falls asleep

lots of the usually Spielberg schmaltz

I knew all the history before hand so I knew everything that was going to happen maybe someone with no/less knowledge might find it a bit more entertaining

You seem like great craic.... fancy a pint??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it great performances all round and found the story interesting and held my interest, u didn't know the Coen brothers were involved in it. A solid 7/10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Saw this last night, enjoyable enough fare without doing anything too unexpected along the way. Hanks and the Russian spy are great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mark Rylance is outstanding as Able in it, one of the best performances Ive seen in the last 10 years, overall v good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Mark Rylance is outstanding as Able in it, one of the best performances Ive seen in the last 10 years, overall v good film.

I think he deservedly won best supporting actor at the Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

pixelburp wrote:
    Not a great film by any means, but it's worth saying that an adequate Spielberg effort is still head & shoulders above most studio flicks these days.

Blasphemous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Keplar240B wrote:
    Disappointing What a boring dull movie

Apologies from Stephen that it didn't contain jokes and toilet humour at the right time (e.g. 'the swap' scene or indeed as the house was shot up)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

no.8 wrote: »
    Apologies from Stephen that it didn't contain jokes and toilet humour at the right time (e.g. 'the swap' scene or indeed as the house was shot up)
    no.8 wrote: »
    Blasphemous!!!

3 years man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I saw this on Channel 4 last week (?), it was very much a TV movie that somehow got the big screen treatment. I doubt it would have got made without Spielberg's interest. Rylance was easily the best thing in it. Solid even stolid fare with very little flair.

Advertisement