Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge Of Spies (Spielberg & Hanks)

Options
  • 06-06-2015 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

So out of the blue I find out that Steven Spielberg has a new film. Bridge of Spies is based on the true story of James Donovan (played by Tom Hanks), who was tasked with negotiating the trade of a Russian spy for a US pilot during the cold War. It's written by the Coen Brothers and Matt Charmon (who I know nothing of, but the Coen Brothers peek my interest).

The trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2x3r1m2I4

For a while I've found most of Spielberg's later films to not be my cup of tea, but I think that's possibly down to me always wanting to relive those childhood movies I loved when I was young (the last film of his I really enjoyed was Tintin, for example). But I do have a soft spot for Hanks and spy thrillers, so this is an unexpected surprise for me.

I also find it incredibly strange that I knew nothing of this film. There was a time when I'd know every single thing Spielberg did, in case it was a new Indiana Jones movie. I guess the last one really had an effect on me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No John Williams. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

I prefer my 'Cold War' spy movies understated and well written. Slow moving but well crafted. The British do them so well. This looks a little 'Hollywood' for my liking.

We shall see. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would have a degree of hope for the movie, considering the people involved and the subject matter.

But that trailer is awful. Bombastic, on-the-nose and it gives so much of the film away. Of course the finished product may look nothing like the teaser, but it doesn't bode well for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Go see this at your first given opportunity, it's absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure there's ever been a better, more rounded actor than Tom Hanks. Mark Rylance is also superb as the Russian spy - a very unique performance, I can't think of another character/performance I can compare it to.

Best film I've seen in a long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

WHIP IT! wrote:
    Go see this at your first given opportunity, it's absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure there's ever been a better, more rounded actor than Tom Hanks. Mark Rylance is also superb as the Russian spy - a very unique performance, I can't think of another character/performance I can compare it to.

I love Cold War stuff but Hanks is putting me off, such a light weight, does he have to be in every Spielberg film? Where did you see it btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I love Cold War stuff but Hanks is putting me off, such a light weight, does he have to be in every Spielberg film? Where did you see it btw?

There is a bit of a Depp/Burton thing evolving around their collaborations, however... Catch me if you Can was damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Interesting throwback, it seems to be a minor sleeper in the US market, opened modestly but has quietly kept going on a slow week by week decline. Only cost about $40m as well which is practically a short tv series these days!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

'light weight' is a little unfair I think: Hanks suffers from some typecasting, his physical manner & demeanour means he's often perfect for those ordinary, decent characters; the kind of people that aren't necessarily bubbling with complexities and darker shades, but are still difficult to portray all the same. It's hard for any lead to be naturally likeable yet unremarkable, and Hanks nails that so organically it's easy to forget he's acting just like the actors with the more 'tortured' roles.

That said, his work on Captain Phillips alone made me appreciate him a little more as an actor, the last scene in particular he really shows a raw form of acting.

I'm dying... the producers gave me a special early screening... swear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Its in the cinema on the 26th of November. I really like Tom Hanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I seen this film a month ago when I was in South East Asia, it is really good and I think Hanks did a stellar job, I'm a big fan of his and it was a good film in my book. Has it been released in Ireland yet?

Stinicker wrote: »
    I seen this film a month ago when I was in South East Asia, it is really good and I think Hanks did a stellar job, I'm a big fan of his and it was a good film in my book. Has it been released in Ireland yet?

No its in the cinemas on the 26th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Haha crazy. Eve Hewson is making her big release acting debut in a movie inspired by events surrounding the shooting down of a U2 Spy Plane. The very same incident that inspired the name of her fathers band.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,069 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Best film I've seen in a long time...

Was mixing Rylance up with Richard Jenkins :o

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was mixing Rylance up with Richard Jenkins :o

:D:D:D

I can kinda see it, mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

I like the older British spy films, y'know less action and more acting,
    this film I thought was more like that a bit of a throwback to the sixties.
    A good but not a great film I'd say, but it is definately worth the watch just for Rylances performance, WOW !!!, this guy is a masterful actor.
    Now that Spielberg has given him a platform I suspect we're going to see a lot more of him on the silver screen in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

To be honest it really isn't a spy film. I to was hoping for a throwback to the 60's British spy films but alas it wasn't.
    Agree about Rylance though. Excellent performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Saw this lastnight, wasn't mad about it.

Hanks/Rylance were very good, but I just didn't find the story very gripping and a bit boring at times tbh.

The forced humour had me rolling my eyes a few times as well
    That "Would it help?" recurring joke was awful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah, there wasn't any of the decisive moments that I felt were ever going to go anything other than the way we wanted. I did like the 50s look of things and Rylance and Hanks were great, but I really wasn't bothered about Powers or the other guy. As a vehicle to make us feel sorry for the 'Commie spy' it was great.

Quite disappointed in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The nightmare that is foot surveillance led by Herc from The Wire is how we begin. The Russian spy (Abel), an excellent performance from Mark Rylance, is caught very early on. This leads us to James Donovan (Tom Hanks). Another Wire alum, Amy Ryan, plays his wife. Donovan is a keen negotiator, determined, principled and observant. Given the situation, he's subject to significant scrutiny and baggage associated with the case, including his family's safety. The wider safety issue is about America. Despite the story, there is not much legal ping pong in court. The law is discussed and depicted, however what happens behind the scenes is what matters and the need for a positive outcome, albeit off the books. Juxtaposed to Abel and Donovan is the story of Francis Gary Powers, the famous U2 pilot. Overall his situation unravels (not what happens, but his training, etc) a little rapidly for my tastes.

Well-made and some nice touches, but I was hoping for something more.

• Advertisement

Spielberg thriller Bridge of Spies turns into a legal drama as it is understood book author believes he has not been adequately compensated

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3337992/Spielberg-thriller-Bridge-Spies-turns-legal-drama-understood-book-author-believes-not-adequately-compensated.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Shame this is getting many thumbs down by many, Hanks, Spielberg and Coen Brothers mix doesn't seem to impress much on here.

I have to say I loved it, yes it has the Spielberg good old American coy moments in it but damn he know to do a great film. Hank's is excellent as per usual, as is Rylance although Amy Ryan is wasted as Hanks wife as is Alan Alda as his boss. The film reminds me of the good old 60's thriller's like the Spy who came in from the Cold. It's very talkie, but you can see some Coen brother touches in there, when Hank's meets Rylance's family in East Germany, that's definitely very Coen brothers. I do think it's a tad overlong but with two top central performances it's a fantastic watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I loved this film. Been a long while since I enjoyed a film as much.

Really nicely paced. Hanks was excellent, as was Rylance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think in many ways this felt like a companion piece to Spielberg's last effort, Lincoln; both predominantly 'indoors' films, and both followed an unwavering idealist as he wielded the power of diplomacy to solve a crisis that might otherwise undermine the principles of American democracy. The darkened, smoky rooms & muted palette in Bridge of Spies was equally evocative of that previous film. The introduction of the crashed US pilot broke the mood a little, but by and large this felt like a sequel-in-spirit. Not sure I'd even call it a spy film really, it felt more like a Capra-esque morality tale, of staying true to a noble ideal, and fighting the good fight against those who might be bigger and more morally flexible than you. That it involved spies was just a sideshow really.

As for Rylance's performance, it was fine; subtle & all in the eyes I guess. I didn't think there was anything to the character in the first place, so it was to Rylance's credit that he managed to imbue a certain sorry mystery to Abel that otherwise, to me, wasn't really present on the page.

Not a great film by any means, but it's worth saying that an adequate Spielberg effort is still head & shoulders above most studio flicks these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

pixelburp wrote: »
    The introduction of the crashed US pilot broke the mood a little, but by and large this felt like a sequel-in-spirit. Not sure I'd even call it a spy film really, it felt more like a Capra-esque morality tale, of staying true to a noble ideal, and fighting the good fight against those who might be bigger and more morally flexible than you. That it involved spies was just a sideshow really.

The film was not supposed to be centrally a spy story as the central character was not a spy. Also, of course it's a morality tale. I haven't read Donovan's memoir but by all accounts the film honhttp://www.biography.com/news/bridge-of-spies-true-storyours the spirit of it.

Also, you say the introduction of Powera broke the mood as if this was some character they made up. This is a true story, the mood may shift but as it should given that had they executed Abel, there would be no story..

http://www.biography.com/news/bridge-of-spies-true-story

Also, you say the introduction of Powera broke the mood as if this was some character they made up. This is a true story, the mood may shift but as it should given that had they executed Abel, there would be no story..

I wasn't talking about the veracity of the character or his point in the story. I was literally speaking of the crash; the film had a very distinct pace and tone, like I said was a very 'indoors' film with its smoky, muted interiors and scenes of interrogation and discussion. The crash scene felt like it was from another movie altogether: a straight-up action set-piece that didn't really have a place being in this kind of film, and it jarred a little with the pacing of the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Hanks and Rylance were fantastic but I think the film really starts to spin its wheels once they get to Berlin. It felt like 2 movies in 1 with the second one being a tad underdeveloped and lacking in tension.

It's funny, I watched Carol in the same week as Brief Encounter and compared them favorably and this week I saw BOS in close proximity to Doctor Zhivago, another re-released David Lean film with similar ideas to a big movie out now. I enjoyed Bridge of Spies while it was on but I would have liked a little more breathing room for the situation and characters to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's very nice, well made and loveable, Hanks is brilliant, perfectly understated, the Supreme Court scene a case what this could easily have been over stated with hyperbole.

It also doesn't delve deep enough into the McCarthy Era, there's nothing there hinting at American paranoia about Reds under the bed, not like the sympathetic Nuclear scare.

It's a nice bit of fluff, but if you want depth, go John LeCarre. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy is far superior.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Watched it on the plane a couple of days ago and although it looked lovely I struggled to stay awake for it, no real suspense. Not a bad movie I just expected more.

• Advertisement

Saw Bridge of Spies yesterday, enjoyed it. Tom Hanks is a brilliant actor.

Advertisement