Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weapons Culture in Ireland

Options
  • 06-06-2015 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭

I was reading the Dillon Taylor thread and then about the case, one thing lead to another going through news links, etc, and it got me thinking about the sheer scale of difference between US culture as regards deadly weaponry on civilians and the situation here.

I'm curious as to Boardies opinions on it.

Have you ever fired a gun?

Actually, have you ever SEEN a working gun?

Have you ever carried a weapon when walking alone - be it pepper spray, knife, etc. Actually, I'm not sure of the legalities of that, so feel free to not answer that question if you don't want to! :D

Would you like to be able to freely carry a weapon?

Do you have any training in weapons?

Would you be more or less comfortable with a more openly "weaponised" society, more freedom to own a gun or carry it, the police being more likely to be armed - and consequently, more criminal gun use.

For me, I've never fired a gun. I've only recently actually held or even seen a working gun, and that was an ancient rifle. The only weapon I've ever carried walking alone was a stick, and maybe keys held between my fingers if I had some reason to be alarmed.

I have some training in weapons, but no sort of modern weapons. I could probably make someone go wtf if I happened to be holding a sword, but the likelyhood of that is pretty slim to none if I was attacked somewhere! :D (Re-enactor). I'd be lethal to myself and everyone around me with a gun!

I think I would be less comfortable with a more weaponised society. I've been on the receiving end of threats before now, and I can't imagine things would have been any more comfortable with added weaponry (one knife hold-up, one assault). I certainly find the US gun culture disturbing, and I don't see any benefit to such a small country in having the police armed and given military training and/or the general thuggery having easier access to guns, etc. Civilian gun use seems to lead to a rapid increase in criminal arms use, and guns in Ireland are still, at the moment, relatively rare. I'm willing to hear arguments to the contrary though, this is just a conversation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I like firing my gun regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'll cut you ese dont you know I'm loco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I was talking to my dad about getting a gun yesterday. They moved to a house, to the country and we're thinking of getting a pair of .22 rifles so we can go shooting pigeons together. Never fired a gun before, but I shot a crossbow in Prague castle and got near the outside on the target, 80 points if that means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I'd feel naked if I left my gaf without my trusty steak knife. I carry two if I'm going to a gig, you just never know when or where someone might look at you funny.

Nah, had a go of my Granda's shotgun before. Took a pot-shot at a rabbit and missed, which I was pretty relieved about. I think Ireland's attitude to weapons is fairly healthy overall. Anyone walking around with a blade is assumed be a tradesman or a scumbag, and anyone walking around carrying a concealed sidearm is assumed to be drug dealer or a paramilitary member rather than a concerned patriot, which is a okay with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I'm opening a crate full of ak-47s with a crowbar as we speak op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Chloris wrote: »
    I was talking to my dad about getting a gun yesterday. They moved to a house, to the country and we're thinking of getting a pair of .22 rifles so we can go shooting pigeons together. Never fired a gun before, but I shot a crossbow in Prague castle and got near the outside on the target, 80 points if that means anything.

You can't shoot pigeon with .22. You'd be looking for something like a .410 bore or a 12 gauge shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I clearly remember seeing holstered guns at eye height on the hips of cops as a kid. Where am I from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Never fired a gun, grew up in the country so would have seen farmers with them. I do carry the old blackthorn stick usually if I'm out walking out at home because there's a cúnt of a dog down the road, but that's about it :D

It's weird, I have quite a few American friends who've lived over here and some of them were really freaked out when they learned that the gardaí don't have guns, whereas I think I'd be pretty uneasy being in some states in America where guns are everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People who've never fired or even held a gun will always be the first to tell you all about how to use them and what they can do, COD school of firearms education :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

pew pew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have fired a gun

big kick back off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

swiftblade wrote: »
    You can't shoot pigeon with .22. You'd be looking for something like a .410 bore or a 12 gauge shotgun.

Maybe he wants to eat them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Happiness is a warm gun

bang bang shoot shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I've fired bows, at least (again, re-enactor!). Eventually I'll get around to firing a gun. I don't think I could fire at a live target though.

Edit: Unless my life was in danger. So, weirdly, I could probably more easily shoot a person threatening me than I could an animal that wasn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Maybe he wants to eat them?

Shooting a .22 into trees is a no, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I've fired guns (shotguns, handguns), had guns pulled on me twice, once put to my head (American cops), I would never trust an Irish Garda with a gun.

I would never trust an Irish Garda with a gun.

AFAIK if they are in uniform they don't carry them

I have always found them to be OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

nokia69 wrote: »
    AFAIK if they are in uniform they don't carry them

I have always found them to be OK

I have never had a problem with a Garda, I've friends who are in the force. I would just not trust the run of the mill Gardai with guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've fired my granddad's and my uncle's guns when I was a teenager. Nothing since.

While I can kinda see the rationale of Americans wanting guns (due to the messed up nature of weapons and crime over there, and yes yes I know this would contribute to the circle) I wouldn't want to see anything like the gun culture they have, over here. I think Ireland has it right. Though maybe we could have tougher sentences for scumbags found bringing massive knives into concerts....

-As far as I know-, Irish gardai only carry guns as part of a special response unit. Not just patrolling the streets. This may have changed, but if it has, it's very recently.

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    -As far as I know-, Irish gardai only carry guns as part of a special response unit. Not just patrolling the streets. This may have changed, but if it has, it's very recently.

Detectives carry firearms and always have.

Strider wrote: »
    Detectives carry firearms and always have.

Huh, I wonder why? I wonder if they count as special response units or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Guns are fun. Farmer friend has a shotgun and rifle for pest control. Fully licensed of course. We do have a bit of craic shooting at targets and such.

But I'd hate to live in a country where people by guns for the house just to "protect the family".

Guns are fun. Farmer friend has a shotgun and rifle for pest control. Fully licensed of course. We do have a bit of craic shooting at targets and such.

But I'd hate to live in a country where people by guns for the house just to "protect the family".

Same. It just seems inconceivable to me.

Although, because they share a language, I think we tend to forget that in sheer scale, one cannot really compare Ireland to the US. It's more like comparing the EU to the US. And consider the cultural differences between, say, the Ukraine [insert European country of choice] and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fired guns a lot when I lived in the US. Had a couple of friends who were gun enthusiasts, so going to the gun range was about as normal going to the pub really. Loved shooting one of my buddies Colt 45, which was his pride and joy. But the kick back killed my hand. I broke my thumb a few years back and it never healed, so the recoil really hurt it. So I had to stick to the more girly guns.

The range that we went too had an amazing collection of old guns, that you could rent out for 30 mins or so and fire away. They had some amazing WW2 Lugers and even one incredibly tiny gun that was supposed to have been used in the 1916 Rising. It was designed so as to fit into a ladies garter without detection. I would have loved to fire it, but the cost of the ammo was way too high. It couldn't handle modern ammo and the older stuff is in very short supply.

Had a lot of fun at the range, as it was such a safe and controlled environment. Would have probably been a lot more freaked out if it was a real life situation. Never could quite figure out why I shot so much better left handed, even though I am right handed. Weird that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Nah, had a go of my Granda's shotgun before. Took a pot-shot at a rabbit and missed, which I was pretty relieved about. I think Ireland's attitude to weapons is fairly healthy overall. Anyone walking around with a blade is assumed be a tradesman or a scumbag, and anyone walking around carrying a concealed sidearm is assumed to be drug dealer or a paramilitary member rather than a concerned patriot, which is a okay with me

Not entirely. Getting a weapon legally is a rather expensive procedure, and you have to re-apply every year for each different weapon. It is rather invasive and restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Not entirely. Getting a weapon legally is a rather expensive procedure, and you have to re-apply every year for each different weapon. It is rather invasive and restrictive.

Does that not confirm his point of view though?! I see it as healthy because of the restrictions!

I can see why thats the system

any thing else would be foolish IMO

You don't re-apply every year, it's every 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

swiftblade wrote: »
    Shooting a .22 into trees is a no, no.
    We do intend on eating them. Why's firing them into trees problematic? I don't know anything about this sort of stuff. We might shoot some rabbits too because the place is overrun with them and they're eating all the eucalyptus plants we put down. But I have two pet rabbits, so I don't know if I'll have the stones to go through with that. Certainly not until I'm confident that I can get a clean kill.

Advertisement