Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cop freed by judge,unbelievable.***Graphic Video in OP***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

The perceived threat was the victim reaching into his pockets and back of his pants where a weapon could have been concealed. A horrific death for the young man but you can't start playing with a cop in the US when he has gun drawn on you.
    If I was walking down a street and turned around to find a cop ready to shoot me,I'd probably faint before he could shoot me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

And that's the critical thing here. From looking at the video, it doesn't look too reasonable to me. Another poster said you've got to what a cop says in the US or this might happen, but hell, how fast do you have to move to comply? If I turned and found a cop pointing a gun at me, I'd be in shock for a few seconds at least.

Moving fast is probably more likely to get you shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The perceived threat was the victim reaching into his pockets and back of his pants where a weapon could have been concealed. A horrific death for the young man but you can't start playing with a cop in the US when he has gun drawn on you.

I understand that but whether it's the way they're perceived here, they seem too trigger happy. Shoot first, ask no questions later. Even if this man was concealing a weapon the cop had the upper hand in that he had his gun ready to fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

You can watch the video in slo-mo if you go to 'settings'.

I think the cop's actions were justified given the context and I'd be considered a liberal-lefty-PC-brigade type by the usual crowd of authority loving goons.

Well I'm a goon then.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I think he would have fared better if he'd moved slower. Pulling your hand out of your clothing really fast while a cop is pointing a gun at you is going to get you shot. There is no other outcome.

I don't think he's pulling his hands out particularly fast, perfectly possible that he was going to raise them. If I had earphones in, turned around and found a cop pointing a gun at me I imagine I'd be confused, the adrenaline would be pumping and I'd be thinking "I better do what he says quickly". It's easy for us to sit thousands of miles away and go "I would have acted completely different in that situation", but none of us has a clue how we'd act. Sadly what happened to that man could have happened to anyone, nothing he did makes him the one to blame in that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Really. I'd say you'd be safe in London.

He wasn't in London though.
    I don't think he's pulling his hands out particularly fast, perfectly possible that he was going to raise them. If I had earphones in, turned around and found a cop pointing a gun at me I imagine I'd be confused, the adrenaline would be pumping and I'd be thinking "I better do what he says quickly". It's easy for us to sit thousands of miles away and go "I would have acted completely different in that situation", but none of us has a clue how we'd act. Sadly what happened to that man could have happened to anyone, nothing he did makes him the one to blame in that situation.

It's not about blaming the victim, it's about determining the culpability of the shooter. Sometimes there is no blame. A lot of people can't accept that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

It's a killing by a cop in a country thousands of miles away. Nothing extraordinary by world standards. Relevant only to that country. Similar shootings anywhere else don't get any coverage in Ireland.

Pretty sure the shootings of Jean Charles de Menzies and Mark Duggan in London were reported here by the media.

The reason that these kind of shootings in the US are commented on so much is because of the frequency which they occur compared to Europe and the increasing availability of video footage. Also worth noting that we are culturally very similar - yanks speak the same language as us (well, sort of) and have a similar legal system.

Saying we shouldn't be discussing events because they happen far away is just nonsense. If you don't want to discuss it or think it's relevant then why bother posting in the thread?

It's not about blaming the victim, it's about determining the culpability of the shooter. Sometimes there is no blame. A lot of people can't accept that.

I agree that the cop's action is understandable given the context, but saying things like "pulling your hand out of your clothing really fast is going to get you shot" is blaming the victim, especially when that's not what he did. I just reached for my cup of tea as fast as he moved his hands there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I agree that the cop's action is understandable given the context, but saying things like "pulling your hand out of your clothing really fast is going to get you shot" is blaming the victim, especially when that's not what he did. I just reached for my cup of tea as fast as he moved his hands there

I wasn't blaming the victim. I was just stating a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

Report of someone with a gun, cop turns up. Possible assailant turned to face the cop when shouted at. He saw him. Not sure if he is stunned or does not care but he moved and the cop feared he was armed and it looked plausible. If a cop points a gun at you, I assume you would freeze and await instruction. He did not do that.

Gun violence by criminals is endemic and is met with the same level of ferocity by the cops.

What I find odd is the lack of care about this. Very slow news about this. He is a white cop killing a white man. White killing black and there would be riots in that city.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

He had his ****ing headphones in.

And anyway the normal response to that is to shoot him dead?

In murica it is.......land of the free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lol @ American cops, some of them are absolute retards. Clearly they need to introduce a higher barrier of entry into the police force there and also have some kind of common sense/reaction/observational tests annually or something. Some of them who come into even the slightest bit of confrontation can't think clearly and lose the run of themselves.

I remember another video where a cop shot a guy in the back of the car just for moving because the cop was so on edge and then he started shouting at the guy, who he had just shot and was obviously not able to move, to get out of the car. I'm surprised some of these guys can function in normal, everyday life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The U.S. appears to have an absolutely massive problem with out of control policing.

Some shocking statistics - the U.S. police forces shot and killed more people in the month of March than the UK police forces (Northern Ireland troubles and all) killed in the entire 20th century!!

Unfortunately, it seems the place is just heading towards being a police state between this and out of control security services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I dunno, it just seems too easy to get killed by cop over there. A lesson: don't listening to music while walking around anymore, you need to be able to hear cop's instructions while he points a gun at your back.

Tell me he matched a description at least other than 'young male'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Something on the his facebook about being kicked out of a house and being moved on by cops from another. Think he said ''I'm not moving'' to the cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why did he have his hands down his trousers?

Tell me he matched a description at least other than 'young male'

Here's a link for a Salt Lake Tribune article about the case..

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58472404-78/taylor-cruz-hands-gill.html.csp
    Taylor's 22-year-old brother and 21-year-old cousin were the two men with him and whose clothing matched that described by a 911 caller, who told dispatchers "some gangbangers" walking near 200 East and 1900 South had "flashed" a gun.

"They're obviously looking for trouble, just the way they look," the caller
    said, according to a transcript of the call.

Fowler said the report to 911 might have deserved a closer look.

"What kind of investigation did they do to determine the credibiliy of the
    call that came in?" Fowler asked.

The caller described men wearing a white shirt, a striped shirt and a red
    shirt — the clothing worn by Taylor, his brother and his cousin.

"It was very distinctive descriptions," Cruz said later, according to a
    transcript of his interview with investigators. Cruz noted he was about two
    blocks away when the call came in.

"There was no doubt that I was going to run into those guys," he said.

sugarman wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting and shocking.

No regard for human life what so ever.

How the hell are both cops just so calm after killing him? Going on as if nothing just happened?

Insane.

Anyone here who says its justified can go get ****ed.

I think the cop is pretty clearly badly shook, especially when he realises there's no weapon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Hagar7 wrote: »
    Even if the cop had tazered the guy then surely that would have been much better than a shoot to kill,or to even shoot him in the leg at worst.

Dont quote me on this but as i understand, in america, one of the justifications for introducing tasers was as a substitute for fire arms, to be used when in doubt. easier said than done obviously.

the problem is clearly much more deeply rooted than simply one or a numbr of bad cops, or even a bad law enforcement system. it starts first with the culture and second with its view towards life then third with its ideology of guns and weapons. not dissimilar to certain middle eastern countries imho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

KKkitty wrote: »
    Not going to watch the link but when is this going to stop? Obviously this young man showed no threat but yet again a dimwit cop thinks it's justifiable to shoot without just cause. Are some police officers in the US missing a few brain cells?

I hope to Christ that this comment is some sort of satire ?

you state that your not going to even look at a tiny bit of the evidence but i fell the need to voice a opinion none the less ? FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

mynamejeff wrote: »

you state that your not going to even look at a tiny bit of the evidence but i fell the need to voice a opinion none the less ? FFS

May have just gone from the first post, which is a reasonable summary of events. The link itself is pretty graphic and horrifying and shows a young man being killed.

It does seem to be a rather shocking indictment of this weirdly..military training that US police seem to receive. Police /= military and they should not be trained as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Here's a link for a Salt Lake Tribune article about the case..

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58472404-78/taylor-cruz-hands-gill.html.csp

That changes things, all 3 happened to be wearing clothes matching descriptions. Still think there was not enough threat to warrant a shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Almost identical to the shooting of Amadou Diallo back in '99.

There's been over a dozen songs written about him.

Dillion was white though, yeah?

Doubt he'll be seen as being worthy of a ballad so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

mynamejeff wrote: »

My post isn't satire let me tell you. I looked at the poor man being shot and I don't care what you think but anyone with any sense should know that he didn't pose an immediate threat. An armed cop whose gun is ready to go VS a man who never showed any weapon isn't a fair fight to me.

Almost identical to the shooting of Amadou Diallo back in '99.

There's been over a dozen songs written about him.

Dillion was white though, yeah?

Doubt he'll be seen as being worthy of a ballad so.

Actually it's utterly different o the shooting of Amadou Diallo. Four cops fired 41 rounds at him and hit him 19 times. The Taylor killing had one cop firing two shots.

Still though, I'm impressed that you've managed to use this tenuous link to stand up for the oppressed white American male.

That video is shocking.. It's just murder that is acceptable because of a "threat".

Why do people even call the police anymore and report "suspicious activity"? You're giving the police a license to kill anyone who matches your description.

I'm surprised these cops don't get lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Samaris wrote: »
    The original report in 2014 did give the "nah, fool" comment, that was later retracted. The video evidence does show he didn't say anything, as you later hear the cop say "what the hell were you reaching for, man". So no, there's no real evidence that Taylor -did- hear him.

Who is speaking at 34 seconds then and why did he turn around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Actually it's utterly different o the shooting of Amadou Diallo. Four cops fired 41 rounds at him and hit him 19 times. The Taylor killing had one cop firing two shots.

I was referring to the fact that that both were shot by Police when it felt that each was reaching for a weapon, when in fact both were unarmed.
    Still though, I'm impressed that you've managed to use this tenuous link to stand up for the oppressed white American male.

Where did I suggest white American males were oppressed? Nowhere.

What I am suggesting though is that the liberal media and celebrities alike, couldn't give two hoots about white people being murdered by the Police. There is nothing in it for them. Liberal credibility is only plentiful for speaking up for a minority you see. Therefore Michael Brown, Amadou Diallo are perfect in that capacity. James Boyd and Dillon Taylor, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

...you can't start playing with a cop in the US when he has gun drawn on you.

The thing is I'd have absolutely no idea how I'd react in that situation. I might react camly and do what he says or I could freeze, and do nothing or some sort of fight or flight instincts might kick in and I could try to run for it. Two of those options could get me shot. No one can really know how they'd react to a gun pointed at your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's getting ridiculous in the U.S. Cops are nervous and responding to calls on their own when they should be waiting for back up. I don't think he intentionally meant to kill the guy but he was clearly in the wrong and I don't see how anyone could say it was justified.

Advertisement