Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cop freed by judge,unbelievable.***Graphic Video in OP***

Options
  • 05-06-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Please do not view this unless you are prepared to be shocked,viewers may find the scenes very disturbing.

The story.
    On August 11, 2014, Dillon Taylor walked out of a local Salt Lake City, Utah, convenience store minding his own business. He wasn't armed. He wasn't committing a crime. He was listening to music on his headphones, probably in his own world. Just two days after Officer Darren Wilson shot and killed an unarmed Mike Brown in Ferguson, Taylor would soon face a similar fate at the hands of a local officer. And on October 1, the district attorney in Salt Lake City, Sim Gill, ruled that the killing of 20-year-old Taylor was justified. Even in his determination, though, he stated that "Taylor's shooting was justified not because he posed an actual threat, but because (Officer) Cruz reasonably perceived a threat."
    Now that the full video has been released, it's disturbingly clear that nothing about this police shooting was justified. Nothing at all.
    At 0:17, Officer Bron Cruz gets out of his vehicle. You will notice people confused by his presence.
    At 0:22, Officer Cruz walks past two men who were friends with Dillon Taylor.
    At 0:24, Officer Cruz walks behind Taylor, who has on a white T-shirt and is listening to music.
    At 0:33, we see the officer has his gun drawn and is yelling at Taylor, who's holding his sagging pants up and does not appear to hear Cruz.

At 0:36, the officer shoots Taylor. It would be fatal.
    Starting at 0:41, you will notice the headphone cord coming out of Taylor's pocket.
    At 0:48, you will see that the headphones were clearly going up to Taylor's ears.
    At 0:52, the officer asks Dillon to "give me your hands," but Taylor is already near death. His friends begin screaming and crying in the background.
    At 1:03, the officer handcuffs Taylor.
    At 1:48, the officer turns Taylor over, the headphones are visible, and the officer states "it's clear"—meaning that Taylor was actually unarmed.
    At 2:54, the officer turns Taylor completely over, keeping him handcuffed, and begins talking to him and trying to get him to talk. Taylor appears nearly dead and is completely covered in blood.
    At 4:56, the officer is rummaging through Taylor's pockets instead of providing any first aid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus a lot of text my man and in bold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Disgusting thing to happen.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Didnt get his hands out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I only opened this thread to see what country this happened in.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Didnt get his hands out

He had his ****ing headphones in.

And anyway the normal response to that is to shoot him dead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭cml387

More context needed. Why was the officer called to the restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Daily occurance now in the states, terrible to see, check out "The advice show" on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Question is why was he walking away from the cops and not stop. Regardless of headphones there is no way he did not hear being shouted at.

It does look like the officer had his finger on the trigger when he should not have and squeezed when he lost his temper. Clearly in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He had his ****ing headphones in.

And anyway the normal response to that is to shoot him dead?

im not defending the cop

but America now has a more military than police force on the streets

when they say jump you say how high

have the public not copped onto this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

cml387 wrote: »
    More context needed. Why was the officer called to the restaurant?

Armed man reported in the area, he matched the description somehow aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Taking context into account it's more a damning indictment of gun culture in the states than the individual cop I think. How many hundreds of young men are going to die over that completely fcuked situation in the coming decades, it's relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Jesus, that was shocking.

If this was a third world police force executing people in the streets, the UN would be called on to take action.

Why not in America? This is a daily occurrence and there are many YouTube videos showing the same thing over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I watched the first bit of the video, mostly because I read several differing accounts, some blaming the kid, some not. Didn't want to see the rest for obvious reasons.

The police were called due to a report of three men flashing a handgun in the area. No description of these men have been released that I know of. Taylor, the 20-year-old that was shot, was walking away from two others, a cousin and a friend, by reports, and I assume the cop figured it was probably them being referred to. He walks past the two others and goes after Taylor, perhaps just to corral him before turning back to the others (?). Taylor does seem to be oblivious, and it is quite possible that no, he really didn't notice, if his music was loud and he was filtering out other sounds. I can be pretty oblivious to being yelled at if I'm enjoying a particular bit of music, especially if wearing long earbuds rather than a headset. They just seem to filter out surrounding noise better. He does turn, and doesn't react. His hands do seem to be low, but I couldn't quite make out what he was doing. He seemed to be pretty still. The cop shoots him several times. His earbuds are pretty visible, but I couldn't go on with the video after the cop rolled him over. It just seemed horrendously callous.

Quite honestly, I reckon he froze at seeing a gun pointed at him and just didn't react quickly enough. He didn't look to be a threat. With the other two "accomplices" behind the cop, shooting him doesn't seem to be a sensible thing to do anyway - what if it was one of them that had the supposed gun?

The whole thing seems to disgraceful. And, unfortunately, endemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

Question is why was he walking away from the cops and not stop. Regardless of headphones there is no way he did not hear being shouted at.

It does look like the officer had his finger on the trigger when he should not have and squeezed when he lost his temper. Clearly in the wrong.
    Even if the cop had tazered the guy then surely that would have been much better than a shoot to kill,or to even shoot him in the leg at worst.

Is it any wonder that there's so many riots in America when you see this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He's walking along, sees the cop car pull up, turns on his heels..walks away and puts his hand down the front of his trousers where the cop can't see, he then turns and replies to an order to show his hands with 'Nah fool' (earphones weren't impeding his hearing obviously) instead of 'ok, I'm bringing my hands out, don't shoot' and then makes a sudden movement with his hand.

I'm not saying it's right but you'll get that response in the US if you do that.

Hagar7 wrote: »
    Even if the cop had tazered the guy then surely that would have been much better than a shoot to kill,or to even shoot him in the leg at worst.

Is it any wonder that there's so many riots in America when you see this happening.

Always comes up in these threads, no police force on Earth shoots somebody that is posing a direct threat to them in the leg or any extremity, it's always centre mass. It isn't the movies, Dirty Harry may have intentionally wounded Scorpio in the leg from across a football field but this is the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Not going to watch the link but when is this going to stop? Obviously this young man showed no threat but yet again a dimwit cop thinks it's justifiable to shoot without just cause. Are some police officers in the US missing a few brain cells?

Strider wrote: »
    He's walking along, sees the cop car pull up, turns on his heels..walks away and puts his hand down the front of his trousers where the cop can't see, he then turns and replies to an order to show his hands with 'Nah fool' (earphones weren't impeding his hearing obviously) instead of 'ok, I'm bringing my hands out, don't shoot' and then makes a sudden movement with his hand.

I'm not saying it's right but you'll get that response in the US if you do that.

The original report in 2014 did give the "nah, fool" comment, that was later retracted. The video evidence does show he didn't say anything, as you later hear the cop say "what the hell were you reaching for, man". So no, there's no real evidence that Taylor -did- hear him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

What is the continuing obsession with the U.S.? None of this is, or should be, news here.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

Strider wrote: »
    Always comes up in these threads, no police force on Earth shoots somebody that is posing a direct threat to them in the leg or any extremity, it's always centre mass. It isn't the movies, Dirty Harry may have intentionally wounded Scorpio in the leg from across a football field but this is the real world.

But he WASNT posing a threat,was he?

• Advertisement

Actually, I should have said "you reportedly hear.." etc. Didn't see that far.

Eh. It's world news. We do talk about stuff that's not directly relating to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

"C'mon, stick with me, stick with me man!" after shooting him lol.

Can police offices not also have a tazer with them or do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The law on self defence is based on the perception of the person claiming it. It's not about wether there was a threat but wether it was reasonable for the person to believe there was. Another example would be a homeowner shooting an intruder in the middle of the night and the intruder turns out to be a family member. The law on self defence would still apply even though the family member was not a threat.

Never said he was posing a threat, I laid out the steps that led to him getting shot, doing as he did...in America..will get you shot.

Nobody is saying it's right but that is how the culture is in the US, the police in the US do not wait until they see a gun so don't do anything that might make them think you're concealing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The law on self defence is based on the perception of the person claiming it. It's not about wether there was a threat but wether it was reasonable for the person to believe there was. Another example would be a homeowner shooting an intruder in the middle of the night and the intruder turns out to be a family member. The law on self defence would still apply even though the family member was not a threat.

And that's the critical thing here. From looking at the video, it doesn't look too reasonable to me. Another poster said you've got to what a cop says in the US or this might happen, but hell, how fast do you have to move to comply? If I turned and found a cop pointing a gun at me, I'd be in shock for a few seconds at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

KKkitty wrote: »
    Not going to watch the link but when is this going to stop? Obviously this young man showed no threat but yet again a dimwit cop thinks it's justifiable to shoot without just cause. Are some police officers in the US missing a few brain cells?

The perceived threat was the victim reaching into his pockets and back of his pants where a weapon could have been concealed. A horrific death for the young man but you can't start playing with a cop in the US when he has gun drawn on you.

Samaris wrote: »
    Actually, I should have said "you reportedly hear.." etc. Didn't see that far.

Eh. It's world news. We do talk about stuff that's not directly relating to Ireland.

It's a killing by a cop in a country thousands of miles away. Nothing extraordinary by world standards. Relevant only to that country. Similar shootings anywhere else don't get any coverage in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

And that's the critical thing here. From looking at the video, it doesn't look too reasonable to me. Another poster said you've got to what a cop says in the US or this might happen, but hell, how fast do you have to move to comply? If I turned and found a cop pointing a gun at me, I'd be in shock for a few seconds at least.

I think he would have fared better if he'd moved slower. Pulling your hand out of your clothing really fast while a cop is pointing a gun at you is going to get you shot. There is no other outcome.

I think he would have fared better if he'd moved slower. Pulling your hand out of your clothing really fast while a cop is pointing a gun at you is going to get you shot. There is no other outcome.

Really. I'd say you'd be safe in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You can watch the video in slo-mo if you go to 'settings'.

I think the cop's actions were justified given the context and I'd be considered a liberal-lefty-PC-brigade type by the usual crowd of authority loving goons.

Advertisement