Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evenings out of the house with a Baby in Dublin

Options
  • 05-06-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All

Anyone got any suggestions for things to do in the evenings, that can include a baby of 13 weeks old?

I'm looking for suggestions other than the usual, go for a walk/hike/park/beach or go to the pub/restaurant.

Also we have exhausted our interest in shopping centers so these are out too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Museum, it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Just accept that your life is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bowling? Walks in the park? Swimming or a cycle? Walk along the beach? Your options with children in general of an evening are quite limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

13 weeks?

Try Coppers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What did you do before the baby? You hardly participated in extreme sports every evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You didn't say what type of baby , baby elephant should get lots of interest however piranhas might be hard to manage.

OP ,you joined in 2010.and today is you're first post .....wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 karlsoden

Museums is a good suggestion but most are closed by 5pm, which rule them out for things to do in the evening.

I'm not going to bring a 13 week old baby to the pub, we have been to a few restaurants but can't be doing that all the time, I'd be broke.

Bowling alleys tend to be on the loud side for a baby.

Before the baby we would have gone to the cinema or the theater or pubs and restaurants, played sport which are all really no longer an option if you have a baby who may at any moment decide to cry.

I think superfurry1 may be right.

Just to clarify it is a baby human.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Could a relative or friend not guard this baby for a few hours

• Advertisement

karlsoden wrote: »
    Play football WITH the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think superfurry1 may be right.
    Ah now, it not over. It's just worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Hire a babysitter and do whatever you like then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Gentlemans club

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lap dancing club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You're sure now? Have you left iron near it?

We could ask a relative to guard the baby but the purpose of the thread is to find things to do that can include the baby in the evenings.

I have bonded with the little chap and I miss him during the day while I am at work so I'd like to spend time with him in the evenings but my wife and I don't want to be in the house every evening.

Nodin wrote: »
    You're sure now? Have you left iron near it?

It is human in appearance but I might try leaving iron near it just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Should babies not be home in bed of an evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

We went up to the cinema in Rathmines one evening, we were early so we sat there chatting waiting for the lights to go down. My wife was about 6 months pregnant at the time. A couple arrived in with a pram and proceeded to push it up to the left of the screen and leave it there, they just sat down. It looked empty to me or maybe I just assumed it was because I didn't think anyone would leave a buggy with a child in it right beside a cinema screen. Lights went down and the movie started. About 20 minutes in a wailing starts from the buggy, seems like the baby didn't like the loud noises. The mother/father looked at each other like they were trying to decide whether they should go to the baby or not. In the end the father got up and pushed the pram out.

tl;dr: OP, do not bring your 13 week old the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It is human in appearance but I might try leaving iron near it just to be sure.

It's the best way. Chucking it in the fire tends to put all your eggs in one basket.

SteM wrote: »
    We went up to the cinema in Rathmines one evening, we were early so we sat there chatting waiting for the lights to go down. My wife was about 6 months pregnant at the time. A couple arrived in with a pram and proceeded to push it up to the left of the screen and leave it there, they just sat down. It looked empty to me or maybe I just assumed it was because I didn't think anyone would leave a buggy with a child in it right beside a cinema screen. Lights went down and the movie started. About 20 minutes in a wailing starts from the buggy, seems like the baby didn't like the loud noises. The mother/father looked at each other like they were trying to decide whether they should go to the baby or not. In the end the father got up and pushed the pram out.

Bad form, yeah I wouldn't be bringing him to the cinema, too much noise for him and also I don't want to be the douche-bag that ruins a film for other. Apparently there is a baby and parent cinema on during the day in Smithfield. I imagine it is carnage.

We could ask a relative to guard the baby but the purpose of the thread is to find things to do that can include the baby in the evenings.

I have bonded with the little chap and I miss him during the day while I am at work so I'd like to spend time with him in the evenings but my wife and I don't want to be in the house every evening.

Let her get away from the baby for a few hours in the evenings. Tell her to hit the gym or meet friends for coffee while you look after the little mite. She won't want to but she'll be better for it. Apart from that you're really limited to what you can do until the baby is a bit older I'm afraid.

Bad form, yeah I wouldn't be bringing him to the cinema, too much noise for him and also I don't want to be the douche-bag that ruins a film for other. Apparently there is a baby and parent cinema on during the day in Smithfield. I imagine it is carnage.

I've been to something similar recently with my kid but not in Smithfield, it's like paying money to get a migraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My mate is on mat leave with her first at the moment, she's gone to the baby friendly screenings a few times.They keep the lights on and the sound isn't as high. She loved it, as it gave her something fun to do during the day, but she didn't have to leave the little one with a minder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

SteM wrote: »

Lighthouse have Parent and Baby screenings. I don't think it's Peppa Pig they show either. They show current movies as far as I know.

Oops karl got there before me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Go out doing clever pranks on random strangers... great craic.

And the best bit? Nobody is gona suspect the nice couple with the young baby! lol

And your youngster will get an early education in humor. They'll only be crying with laughter! :D

the purpose of the thread is to find things to do that can include the baby in the evenings.
    Museums is a good suggestion but most are closed by 5pm, which rule them out for things to do in the evening.
    Please, don't.

Your baby doesn't care about Picasso or Jack B Yeats or liquorice bogmen, but people who go to galleries do. Galleries, with their big bare spaces and tiled floors, amplify the oppressive cries of babies.

Many people go there to avoid babies altogether. Even parents.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The National Gallery is open til 8:30 on Thursday if that interests you.

Dublin City Gallery (The Hugh Lane) closes at 5 all week though, yeah. So does the Natural History Museum which is also good.

• Advertisement

They show current movies as far as I know.

Cool. OP should bring him to see Mad Max!

Advertisement