Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Controller

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Picked it up a little while ago, yeah the placement of the x button feels far to me but I'm sure I'll get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

had to get one to see what it's like, been using it the last week and it's an adjustment to say the least, found it quite good with tomb raider, and getting used to it with rocket league though it did have a cluster f* the other night (it forgot all my settings and all i could do was go forward), had to restart game and controller :( playing fps with it is tricky i find though, kept going back to KB and mouse when playing, just feels easier with kb still.

quite handy when not up for sitting up by comp and lying on the couch using the controller on desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Any word on this thing having drivers that don't need steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

CraigM84 wrote: »
    had to get one to see what it's like, been using it the last week and it's an adjustment to say the least, found it quite good with tomb raider, and getting used to it with rocket league though it did have a cluster f* the other night (it forgot all my settings and all i could do was go forward), had to restart game and controller :( playing fps with it is tricky i find though, kept going back to KB and mouse when playing, just feels easier with kb still.

quite handy when not up for sitting up by comp and lying on the couch using the controller on desktop

Was that Rise of the Tomb Raider? I used it to play that and found it to a nightmare with camera angles...really put me off the controller, then I gave up and used k+m and found the camera angles were still just as bad so it's either the game or me!

This controller works perfectly with The Division, and okay with Assassins Creed. I think my main problem with it now is that I neither understand all the settings nor can I be bothered to learn and mess about with them for each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

yep rise of the tomb raider, i dont find the camera angles bad, for roaming around just leave as is for best part, the right thumb pad is nice though for aiming in combat. must try it with AC Syndicate, will be finishing tomb raider first.

for the best part, ive been using community settings, then changing some settings as i please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

kevovek wrote: »
    Speaking of rocket league anyone here use the steam controller for it? Also is dark souls playable with it?

I find it brilliant for Rocket league, it's quickly become my default controller for it. Iv'e set up a couple of control schemes for Jedi Outcast and War For Cybertron...they're certainly serviceable in the campaign/against bots but would be eaten alive by m+k players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Laviski

I find it brilliant for Rocket league, it's quickly become my default controller for it. Iv'e set up a couple of control schemes for Jedi Outcast and War For Cybertron...they're certainly serviceable in the campaign/against bots but would be eaten alive by m+k players.

use it for rocket league as well and it works brilliantly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Any indication of a rev2 of this controller dropping in the next year? looking at buying it but my gut says no sooner will i have bought it that a newer one will be announced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

kevovek wrote: »
    Saw one of these in Cex for 40 the other day might be tempted to buy it this week I really want to give it a try my 360 pad is held by sellotape at the moment but it still gets me through Fifa, Pes and rocket league. Speaking of rocket league anyone here use the steam controller for it? Also is dark souls playable with it?
    Is this by any chance in Bray - saw that myself a few weeks ago, and was tempted to buy it - did you get it? (too lazy to walk down to CEX to check!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Steam controllers are currently €38.50 in Gamestop: https://www.gamestop.ie/PC/Games/53259/steam-controller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Links234 wrote: »
    Steam controllers are currently 38.50 in Gamestop: https://www.gamestop.ie/PC/Games/53259/steam-controller
    You beaut - just bought in gamestop :)

Dardania wrote: »
    Is this by any chance in Bray - saw that myself a few weeks ago, and was tempted to buy it - did you get it? (too lazy to walk down to CEX to check!)

Nah it was in Wexford bought it in the end, mostly using it for Dark souls 3 and rocket league atm and I cant fault it at all. I Was using it on my windows tablet earlier on the bus to play party hard too. The only thing I will say as a FIFA and PES player I dont think it will ever replace an Xbox 360 or ps4/3 controller in those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

currently on special offer on steam itself for €38.49 as well as the steam link for €38.49

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

currently on special offer on steam itself for €38.49 as well as the steam link for €38.49

The special offer does not include postage, I just purchased and it came to €51.79 ...

Anyone know how long the shipping takes, has things got faster since launch or will i be waiting 4-8 business days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Just ordered a controller and the link myself. Supposedly on it's way since Friday from the Netherlands. Been collecting some games that should work well with the controller.

Any suggestions on games to grab? My internet is pretty **** at home so preferably offline games only. And probably not FPS either as I am rubbish at fps with a controller (though I am hanging on to MGS5 to play solely with controller).
    http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&category2=28

Just had a look at my library and about a third of my library comes with full controller support so that's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I find the controller works outrageously poor with any shooter game, I don't know how you can aim with it at all.. 2 x Analogs would have been perfect for this, maybe I am using it wrong however...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There's a video of a valve employee playing a shooter, showing how good it can be. Tales some learning

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It works fine, once you get used to it, but it will never replace the mouse and keyboard. And i don't think it's supposed to. Their aim was to give people an option for all types of games, when playing from the couch.

The learning curve (or unlearning what you normally expect from a controller) is it's biggest issue.

I got it yesterday and played Dead Island for about 2 seconds but when I was last playing I left myself inside the hotel and to throw down with one of those big lads and I couldn't work out the controls quick enough. I died.

First impressions, love the dual track pads. Definite learning curve using it though. I'm also loving the haptic feedback on the track pads.
    I find the physical buttons (a,b,x,y) to be a little further away from my thumb that I'd prefer. My thumb keeps going to the b button thinking it's a.

Took me a while to get used to the B button distance but hours of rocket league sorted that out for me feels normal now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Bought one yesterday too, first impressions are quite good. Thought it looked a bit cheapy in pictures but actually feels good in the hands. The buttons are a little small but I'll get used to that. Have only played platformers with it so far and they were fine so looking forward to playing Civ V or something that utilises the trackpad.

Does anyone here use the Steam Link on a wired connection? How do they find that?

I use the steam link. I tested it on wireless and it worked fine until the missus wanted to stream something. I think that's a problem for my router though. Left her on the wireless and connected it wired through a set of powerline plugs (http://support.eir.ie/homeplug/) and it's streaming perfectly now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

d31b0y wrote: »
    I use the steam link. I tested it on wireless and it worked fine until the missus wanted to stream something. I think that's a problem for my router though. Left her on the wireless and connected it wired through a set of powerline plugs (http://support.eir.ie/homeplug/) and it's streaming perfectly now.

Cheers.

Yep those are the TP-Link jobbies I have. Had them sitting in a drawer doing nothing so just plugged them in now and hooked up the PS4 in the bedroom, works fine. Tempted to get the Steam Link now. Would be a bit more comfortable than playing Steam games on the tablet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

am playing through dark souls 2 at the moment via steam link (wired 1gb), and steam controller. No problems to report, but am prob ideal case (no homeplugs / wireless etc)

minor annoyance with the left d-pad being quite inaccurate - so opened up the config, and changed it to be button regions (I think they're called), and directly mapped those regions to key presses. Its my first play at tweaking the controller so far, and its made a huge difference. Was very easy, and pretty impressed by the whole process - so dont be afraid to tweak!

comment there about hitting the 'b' button thinking its the 'a' button - yea, had the same coming from an xbox360 controller, but have soon gotten used to it. Probably be weird playing with a 360 controller now hah

oh, might be buried, but would reiterate the recommendation for any new steam link/controller users to use the steam beta client - originally I had pretty serious buyers remorse, but the beta client definitely fixed most, if not all my initial niggles

The Steam Controller DB has over 2300 games with custom configs. A very good resource to start with if you are trying to map an unsupported game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

maybe I am using it wrong however...

Try using the gyro aiming. ;)

The thing about the Steam controller is, it really takes a lot of getting used to, but is incredibly powerful once you get to grips with it and just how customizable it is. Coming straight from an XBox controller, it definitely took a while, especially with the ABXY buttons, but after a while I got very comfortable with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The gyro aim was fantastic for Dragons Dogma. Totally changed how the game felt using a gamepad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just got one. Its weird. Not terrible, really hard to tell if I like it yet.

The pad clicks are WAY too loud though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Steam link is on sale for 22 euro on steam, also spotted it in game for 16 pounds !, controler and pad is 37 on steam but you get stung on delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Do you need steam link for the pad to work? Or can you have a wired option for the pad without using steam link? Is steam link for streaming too?

Advertisement