Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Controller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm gonna wait for feedback from you gaming godsguys, happy enough to keep on getting owned with the keyboard and occasional x1 controller
    FYP ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That's some work of delusion :P keyboards/mouse kickass :D

I'm extremely skeptical about this. I imagine it won't be any better than an xbox controller in terms of precision.

I'm extremely skeptical about this. I imagine it won't be any better than an xbox controller in terms of precision.
    as am i but i need a controller as dont currently have one so why not try this

as am i but i need a controller as dont currently have one so why not try this

Yeah I'd probably get this if I didn't have one. Xbox controller is great for PC. Plug-n-play

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd probably get this if I didn't have one. Xbox controller is great for PC. Plug-n-play
    onlyu reason i want a controller is for cod.. cant see cod being too much fun with keyboard and mouse

onlyu reason i want a controller is for cod.. cant see cod being too much fun with keyboard and mouse

Hmmm. If you are playing CoD on PC, you simply cannot compete without a keyboard and mouse.

Well actually I don't play much CoD. If there is a ton of auto-aim in it, maybe you'll be fine.

In games like Quake, Unreal or Counter-Strike keyboard/mouse are simply unparalleled in precision.

Hmmm. If you are playing CoD on PC, you simply cannot compete without a keyboard and mouse.

Well actually I don't play much CoD. If there is a ton of auto-aim in it, maybe you'll be fine.

In games like Quake, Unreal or Counter-Strike keyboard/mouse are simply unparalleled in precision.
    if i would be at a disadvantage i couldnt be dealing with that lol maybe a cheap contrtoller and a shiny new mouse then

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

CoD on PC with a controller would be the most debilitating and soul destroying evening of your life. The most average of player on a mouse and keyboard will destroy a top tier player with a controller - especially in AW cause of the increased reliance on moving quickly and unexpectedly. You've got CS:GO and Ark in your "most recent played" list there in your sig - if you're not using a mouse and keyboard for these games, how on earth are you playing them?

You've got a proper gaming platform now, don't waste your time by not using a proper gaming input device. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Shiminay wrote: »
    CoD on PC with a controller would be the most debilitating and soul destroying evening of your life. The most average of player on a mouse and keyboard will destroy a top tier player with a controller - especially in AW cause of the increased reliance on moving quickly and unexpectedly. You've got CS:GO and Ark in your "most recent played" list there in your sig - if you're not using a mouse and keyboard for these games, how on earth are you playing them?

You've got a proper gaming platform now, don't waste your time by not using a proper gaming input device. :D
    nintendo-zapper.jpg

I'll be interested to see how this controller stacks up against the XB1 controller. The reviews would have to be incredible for me to buy one of these and not use my XB1 controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If this matches the 360 controller it will be a miracle but it wont happen, anyone who owned an xperia Play will know how bad touchpads are, no matter how precise it just feels all wrong, you need the stick under your thumb not smooth plastic.

Thargor wrote: »
    If this matches the 360 controller it will be a miracle but it wont happen, anyone who owned an xperia Play will know how bad touchpads are, no matter how precise it just feels all wrong, you need the stick under your thumb not smooth plastic.

Meh. You sound set in your ways rather than being concerned with which offers more precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm interested in the haptic feedback you get from the touch pads. If done right then I could see how the pads could be made to feel almost stick-like if a game needed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

Thargor wrote: »

To be fair, i bet this will be 10 times better than the xperia play!

Just because both use touchpad technology doesnt mean the quality and precision wont be any different!

Even touchpads in laptops differ in terms of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'd expect this to match 360 controller, if not better it. It might take a little adjusting to. I'd be surprised though if it could match a gaming mouse. Who knows though? The concept should provide precision. Whether that translates into realty is another question. It definitely deserves a shot. A potential renovation in stale game controllers design is always to be welcomed.

So I won't be getting it for quite some time then. :o

Doge wrote: »
    To be fair, i bet this will be 10 times better than the xperia play!

Just because both use touchpad technology doesnt mean the quality and precision wont be any different!

Even touchpads in laptops differ in terms of performance.
    I know but there are some things that are just fundamentally flawed with no way of saving them no matter how you innovate, touchpads/touchscreens for gaming are a perfect example. Steering a vehicle or controlling a character with a touchpad compared to an analogue stick?

I think they trying to balance gameplay with typing ability and its the gameplay side thats going to suffer for it. just my opinion on a device Ive never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

So it looks like early pre-orders off steam have tracking numbers now.

I pre-ordered off gamestop, havent heard anything from them, but the original email when I pre-ordered said the 16th of October

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Said on the GameStop email I can pick them up from the 16th which is Friday week. Must check with them when there landing and will they sell them once they arrive.

Cant wait to see the proper reviews, went without a controller for 6 months waiting for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'll buzz around image boards for people's experience with this controller. Man I hope it's good. I won't be reading any 'proper' reviews. But one of the tech channels I'm subscribed to will probably do a video on it. A few lines and paragraphs of the pros/cons from multiple users gives me a much better understanding of a product than an word-count-quota article by what's left of video game journalists. I struggle to think of anyone that would even be able to understand what they're talking about when it comes to gamepads. Enthusiasts for that kind of stuff tend to actually play games with precision controls (FPS, Fighting Games, Dogfighting etc)and talk about them on forums/image boards... not write reviews for ad revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

There is a review which also compares the old one to the new one. Seems OK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Any word on free rocket league with GameStop orders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I doubt its going to happen Tar, but you should totally buy rocket league cause its amazing.

You should ask around on your steam list budies, I know a few people who had already bought RL so now have a extra code. I'd say there is a good few in the same boat

Any word on free rocket league with GameStop orders

Where did you see that, thought it was only through steam..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where did you see that, thought it was only through steam..
    Says it here:
    One copy of the bonus games per Steam Account

For customers who have already pre-ordered the Steam Controller or Steam Link on Steam prior to Aug 27th:
    You will receive free copies of Rocket League and Portal 2. They will be added to your Steam account by September 4th.

For customers who pre-order or have already pre-ordered the Steam Controller, Steam Link or Steam Machine at retail:
    You will receive a key for free copies of Rocket League and Portal 2 when you complete and pick up your purchase.

It even has gamestop listed on the page:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/

Lovely been dying to get it.

I emailed gamestop but they said to contact the store directly to find out.

Lovely been dying to get it.
    It doesnt look very good though does it?

Rocket league? It's absolutely class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I've decided I'm gonna cancel my one but I'm still gonna pick up the link though for being able to play on the telly without shifting the tower. Really unsure about the lack of thumstick for camera and using a touch pad instead and even less so from the videos etc... I've watched. I could be proven wrong and end up getting it down the line anyways but not gonna spend 50 yoyos on something I'm not convinced about.

Advertisement