Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reg Plates for Bicycles.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Patww79 wrote: »
    The utopia we'd be living in would make the fees worthwhile. Senor Fancypants for president!

Ooooh I like that!

A vote for Senor Fancy Pants, is a vote for change! All hail Fancy Pants.

I can almost taste it! Nice one Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Just tattoo a number on each person's forehead.
    What mode of transport they use is then irrelevant

It would have to be visible day and night. So everyone walking should have to wear hi vis with a number plate on it.

Handy for lost kids or getting vandalism on cctv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 one day man

Can we not just introduce biotagging?

Make it mandatory for everyone in the country to have a GPS chip with personal information on it.

It sends real time info to a central server in Garda HQ. Anyone that reports an act that contravenes a law, with a date, time and location.

The numpty at GHQ can search the system and see whose biotag was at the reported location at the reported time.

Everyone has to pay an annual upfront €350 in "biotag update tax". And also rent the device for €30 per calender month.

The revenue will be amazeballs. Think about the efficiency of it all!

OP for Prezident!

I think this goes a bit far in asking that everybody be biotagged, however, I would be very supportive of biotagging for pedophiles, confirmed cyclists and other deviants in general.

Free Hat wrote: »
    You need a licence for a dog.

How about a dog license plate so cctv can catch those dogs fouling the pavement.

.... confirmed cyclists and other deviants in general.

The kids will be delighted to know that cycling to school makes them deviant.

What's a confirmed cyclist. One you get with the door just in case you're not driving close enough to?

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/comment-image/243302.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It's a great idea. I can report cyclists who cycle on the pavement or skip traffic lights.
    Do you currently report motorists who you see breaking the law? And does anything ever come of it? I've considered it once or twice, for really hazardous stuff, but I always figured that it would fall on deaf ears.

beauf wrote: »
    The kids will be delighted to know that cycling to school makes them deviant.

What's a confirmed cyclist. One you get with the door just in case you're not driving close enough to?

Those kids aren't cyclists, they're people using a bike on occasion.

A confirmed cyclist is a different creature/public hazard altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

kneemos wrote: »
    There's still cycling on footpaths,one way streets,hitting cars etc.

It's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

You know.
    You just know.

The doses who start/rant in these anti cycling threads are the same doses tootling along at 75 kph in the overtaking lanes, the same doses driving in front of the luas, talking on mobiles, sliding all over the gaff in the lightest snow, calling the Auto rescue to change their puncture, throwing cigarette butts out the window, driving up the footpath at the school, driving into the back of each other, losing their licence and having to cycle to work ( and then getting cyclists a bad name...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Theres also this
    Bike insurance sticker
    The vignette (insurance sticker) for bicycles was phased out at the beginning of 2012. Cover against damage caused to third parties in an accident involving a bicycle can be provided by your personal liability insurance. If you ride a pedal-assisted e-bike with a speed of over 25 km/h, you need a motor-assisted bicycle authorisation and an annually-renewable vignette (read how to get one below).

https://www.ch.ch/en/cycling-switzerland/

What is far fetched? Even though it was posted in jest, just point out one single thing in it that motorists aren't doing every hour of every single day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

cajonlardo wrote: »
    You know.
    You just know.

The doses who start/rant in these anti cycling threads are the same doses tootling along at 75 kph in the overtaking lanes, the same doses driving in front of the luas, talking on mobiles, sliding all over the gaff in the lightest snow, calling the Auto rescue to change their puncture, throwing cigarette butts out the window, driving up the footpath at the school, driving into the back of each other, losing their licence and having to cycle to work ( and then getting cyclists a bad name...)

I have often thought most cyclists were disqualified drivers. I mean why else would you want to cycle a bike?

I have often thought most cyclists were disqualified drivers. I mean why else would you want to cycle a bike?

Because I'm in a hurry?

Because I'm in a hurry?

That's why you are breaking all those red lights I assume.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

beauf wrote: »
    How about a dog license plate so cctv can catch those dogs fouling the pavement.

I'd prefer if we did it for disease carrying cat vermin.

some people just want to watch the world burn

That's why you are breaking all those red lights I assume.:)
    Assume all you like, but its a fact I can run my 10 mile commute faster than I can drive it. I love my 2 cars, I've rebuilt one of them and I won't waste it in start /stop nonsense.

If you drive on the quays a lot you'll have plenty of time to think about it. :)

• Advertisement

Assume all you like, but its a fact I can run my 10 mile commute faster than I can drive it. I love my 2 cars, I've rebuilt one of them and I won't waste it in start /stop nonsense.

Ah I'm only having a laugh. If it makes sense to cycle, then why not.

Its the lycra I'm against really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Cyclists are almost as bad as the Nazis at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Sure if we had boats being used for Liffey transport or the canals then people would not need to take cars so us cyclists would inherit the street. HAHAHAHAHA. Maniacal laugh.

Ah I'm only having a laugh. If it makes sense to cycle, then why not.

Its the lycra I'm against really.

I'm all for a laugh.

What hav ye against lycra? I resisted it to the last.I still think it looks crap. Used to wear wool jersey and bottoms. When it got wet it was pure and utter misery. About 1979 a mate of mine came back from the states with lycra gear and wanted me to go into business importing it. "No" I said. "Sure no Irish man will ever be seen dead in that **te" Regrets? I have a few....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Those kids aren't cyclists, they're people using a bike on occasion.

A confirmed cyclist is a different creature/public hazard altogether.
    He asked you what a confirmed cyclist is, are you going to answer? I would love to hear it.

He said kids cycling to school, so you consider cycling to school every day "occasional"? Its just the same as commuting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Terrible Idea ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It's a great idea. I can report cyclists who cycle on the pavement or skip traffic lights.

Try do it with a car or motorcyclist and see how far that gets you.

If (IF) AGS take your call seriously its your call whether they prosecute because unless you're willing to take time off during your day (going to court is a pain in the hole), give evidence and be open to cross examination your complaint is going nowhere.

License on bicycles, yea go for it because we need more unenforceable laws and maybe another qwango to soak up a few quid.

Also, at what age is a cyclist subject to a reg plate and possibly a license?... Little Johnny aged 8 sitting his theory test after school is a brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

07Lapierre wrote: »

Some reading there, sobering stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

They can. But often are not. Road traffic legislation is hardly enforced at all. No-one gives a shit.

But at least we all agree cyclists are scum. Cos they don't pay the road tax and insurance joe, and half of dem are probably fordiners and that.

I'd love to see such laws come in, if only to see them widely ignored in much the same way existing traffic laws are.

Advertisement