Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reg Plates for Bicycles.

Options
  • 04-06-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭

Included in the purchase price,a central registration office and change of ownership etc.
    Plenty of cameras about to spot the "bad cyclists".Also if someone else is riding your bike then the owner remains responsible until they provide their name .
    A possible goldmine in minor fines if half of what I hear about cyclists is true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Throw in an NCT while your at it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Slow down the aero dynamics, would need to consume double doses of gels to compensate for drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Lets set up reg plates for while you out walking while we are at it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

new cyclists must use stabilisers for 2 years after passing their test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What about reg plates for pedestrians OP.

Why stop there ........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Slow down the aero dynamics, would need to consume double doses of gels to compensate for drag.
    Sometimes I use big words to sound more photosynthesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How about a reg plate for pedestrians? Or a licence for cats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Let's get pram/buggy plates too!

What's next, wheelchair plates?

Anyone that thinks this is a good idea, may have eaten too much mala as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

How's about snipers at all traffic lights to kill offenders. Use less powerful rifles for the cyclists as there'll be no windscreens etc to penetrate.

Foot patrols armed with cattle prods to ensure compliance with jay walking laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

How about a reg plate for pedestrians? Or a licence for cats?

You need a licence for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Just tattoo a number on each person's forehead.
    What mode of transport they use is then irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It's a great idea. I can report cyclists who cycle on the pavement or skip traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It's a great idea. I can report cyclists who cycle on the pavement or skip traffic lights.

This is necessary, the amount of fatalities and serious injuries caused by cyclists is too high....err, no, hang on. I have that wrong I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

kneemos wrote: »
    Included in the purchase price,a central registration office and change of ownership etc.
    Plenty of cameras about to spot the "bad cyclists".Also if someone else is riding your bike then the owner remains responsible until they provide their name .
    A possible goldmine in minor fines if half of what I hear about cyclists is true.

I think its a great idea.
    Cyclists use the same roads as cars and motorbikes and we all know they are far more likely to break red lights than cars or motorbikes.

If a cyclist causes an accident they can just cycle away and there is zero chance of them being found as their is no identifying thing on the bike that can uniquely identify them.

As a basic example some teenager was screwing around on their bike, doing wheelies down a road. He lost control and crashed into my friends parked car causing large scratches in the paint work. Cost hundreds to repair. So the kid got up and started to cycle away. Had it not been seen at the time and chased down he would have got away free even though there was a security camera showing everything clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

What I am taking from all of this is that I really need to take my number plates off my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cyclists use the same roads as cars and motorbikes and we all know they are far more likely to break red lights than cars or motorbikes.

If a cyclist causes an accident they can just cycle away and there is zero chance of them being found as their is no identifying thing on the bike that can uniquely identify them.
    Same could be said of the other most vulnerable road users. The RSA state that pedestrians and cyclists are the most vulnerable roadusers. People suggested licence plates for pedestrians, possibly joking, but it would make more sense to go for them if your goal is like the quote below
    kneemos wrote: »

Pedestrians are by far the worst roadusers for breaking laws. Many of these ignorant hypocritical cunts are even unaware that there are laws related to them. You could set up CCTV in any busy area and clean up if you could read their pedestrian plates.

Mandatory alcohol drinking helmets would also make more sense than mandatory cycling helmets which some think should be brought into law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

rubadub wrote: »
    Mandatory alcohol drinking helmets should be brought into law.
    I like the cut of your gib sir :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think its a great idea.

As a basic example some teenager was screwing around on their bike, doing wheelies down a road. He lost control and crashed into my friends parked car causing large scratches in the paint work. Cost hundreds to repair. So the kid got up and started to cycle away. Had it not been seen at the time and chased down he would have got away free even though there was a security camera showing everything clearly.

I know a woman who once keyed a car that parked too close to her. Licence plates for keys?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 one day man

sounds good, at first.

however there must be some way of distinguishing between a cyclist/douchebag and someone such as myself who from time to time might go down the shops on my bike.

Im not a cyclist, Im a guy who sometimes uses a bike.
    To be a cyclist you need to hold up traffic/the economy for your sporting pleasure and wear camp rubber pants.

as for anyone cycling in a city center, any way to annoy or make life needlessly difficult for them can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

There needs to be better enforcement of reckless and illegal cyclists' behaviour, but this kind of bureaucracy is simply unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

I put your reg plates on my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

porsche959 wrote: »
    but this kind of bureaucracy is simply unnecessary.

The word unnecessary doesn't exist, for a nation that has mastered bureaucracy like no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Better idea to fit RFID tag in the frame of all new bikes. Fit readers and red light/ANPR cameras (same as the ones being fitted at Luas junctions) at traffic lights in the city centre; If a bike runs a light, send a fine to the registered address for that tag. simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

glynf wrote: »
    Better idea to fit RFID tag in the frame of all new bikes. Fit readers and red light/ANPR cameras (same as the ones being fitted at Luas junctions) at traffic lights in the city centre; If a bike runs a light, send a fine to the registered address for that tag. simples.

There's still cycling on footpaths,one way streets,hitting cars etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Can we not just introduce biotagging?

Make it mandatory for everyone in the country to have a GPS chip with personal information on it.

It sends real time info to a central server in Garda HQ. Anyone that reports an act that contravenes a law, with a date, time and location.

The numpty at GHQ can search the system and see whose biotag was at the reported location at the reported time.

Everyone has to pay an annual upfront €350 in "biotag update tax". And also rent the device for €30 per calender month.

The revenue will be amazeballs. Think about the efficiency of it all!

OP for Prezident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

What about reg plates for me budgie?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The word unnecessary doesn't exist, for a nation that has mastered bureaucracy like no other.

Don't think you've ever lived abroad then.

Ireland not that bad at all compared to other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Grayson wrote: »
    I know a woman who once keyed a car that parked too close to her. Licence plates for keys?
    I expect there are far more cars damaged by shopping trolleys than cyclists. Many trolley reg plates, licences, theory tests, insurance etc.
    someone such as myself who from time to time might go down the shops on my bike.
    This is a point most forget, the majority of people have probably cycled in the past 20 years. If many of these requests were brought out people would lose the use of their bikes.

If parents had their young children obey the law then many would also have to stop the kids using their bikes -i.e. its illegal for kids to cycle on footpaths yet many parents instruct them to do this illegal act -many of them hypocrictical ***** who give out about other roadusers breaking laws, any they probably illegal cross roads on foot themselves too.

Advertisement