Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blatter Resigns!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Very Bored wrote: »
    Agree with the idea of Russia getting a World Cup. But not getting it through corruption. Also think the Middle East should host a World Cup but that the host should be a reasonably large football-mad country such as Saudi Arabia, Israel or Iran, not one that only wants it for financial gain.

I doubt Qatar only want it for financial gain tbh, it already being the richest (per capita) country in the world and all.

Why should it be a large or football-mad country that gets it? FIFA have always said that one of its main goals is to bring the game to and develop it among new audiences.

At this stage it'd be better to leave it with Qatar but with some strict conditions, including an independent oversight committee being sent in to ensure that no human rights abuses are committed while developing venues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Egginacup wrote: »
    There's more to this than meets the eye. Since when did the Americans give a toss about corruption OR "soccer"?

Are we a little worried that putin's world cup will be investigated and the reasons behind winning the tournament will become totally visible for all to see.

I swear if America came out tomorrow with a cure for cancer you would dismiss it and chose death instead just to spite them. :(
    Agree with the idea of Russia getting a World Cup. But not getting it through corruption. Also think the Middle East should host a World Cup but that the host should be a reasonably large football-mad country such as Saudi Arabia, Israel or Iran, not one that only wants it for financial gain.

Yeah lets have a world cup in a backward discriminatory war mongering cr**hole.
    After all we have had a long tradition with such places as Mussolini's Italy, Argentinia and it's junta.

Better still lets give to somewhere that a sizable percentage of the football fans, you know the females in the population, are discriminated against and where homosexuals are discriminated against nay attacked and threatened with death.
    I doubt Qatar only want it for financial gain tbh, it already being the richest (per capita) country in the world and all.

Why should it be a large or football-mad country that gets it? FIFA have always said that one of its main goals is to bring the game to and develop it among new audiences.

At this stage it'd be better to leave it with Qatar but with some strict conditions, including an independent oversight committee being sent in to ensure that no human rights abuses are committed while developing venues etc.

Maybe it would help if the country hosting it had an actual proper football league ?
    Qatar should never in a million years have gotten the tournament and the fact that they have allowed wholesale slaughter of their migrant workers copperfastens that opinion.

It is estimated that before it is finished every game will have cost 62 lives.

And your idea of "an independent oversight committee being sent in to ensure that no human rights abuses are committed while developing venues" is a bit fooking late for the thousands who have already died.

The fact you resort to trotting out FIFA's goals says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Hmm... in terms of large, I think you probably have a point because that would mean Ireland could never get it and from a selfish point-of-view I wouldn't like to say we shouldn't so I can't in good faith then say any other small country should be excluded.

In terms of football mad. I understand your point, very much so. But I think that there are football mad countries around the world where the average Joe never gets chance to see players in the flesh who he watches on tv all year long. The Saudis are insane about football, for example, but only the wealthy there can afford to go to a Premier League, La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga match. Perhaps a good idea might be to pair up a football mad country as main host and a not so football mad country as minor host (similar to how many RWCs have been run, though those have always been in rugby mad countries) with some group and early knockout matches in the minor nation for exposure.

That could even be an idea in European countries. Ireland, for example, is unlikely to ever be able to host a tournament all by itself, but I wouldn't say no to England hosting it and a few key group matches coming here.

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah lets have a world cup in a backward discriminatory war mongering cr**hole.
    After all we have had a long tradition with such places as Mussolini's Italy, Argentinia and it's junta.

Better still lets give to somewhere that a sizable percentage of the football fans, you know the females in the population, are discriminated against and where homosexuals are discriminated against nay attacked and threatened with death.

Lets keep the politics in this discussion related to FIFA and not start throwing mud at other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think Russia are in no real danger, especially as they are part of the UEFA confederation. Besides I don't think there was much real talk of corruption with their bid.

Qatar is another issue completely and stinks to high heaven. When they were awarded 2022 I think most peoples reaction was WTF. It should be noted that Blatter didn't vote for them while Platini did. To take it off them it would need some legally watertight leads. I hope they're found.

• Advertisement

Interesting news breaking on Radio 4. Jack Warner has said he's prepared to grass on Blatter and has dossiers relating the ex-FIFA President to the general election in Trinidad. If that's true then I would imagine the FBI will hammer Blatter as the USA tends to be very reactive to anything remotely close to its own shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Blatter was just fed up.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lets keep the politics in this discussion related to FIFA and not start throwing mud at other countries.

Yeah lets just ignore the fact that one of thre biggest sporting spectacles, which helps legitimise a state and it's rulers, is going to a state that has questionable human rights.

Shure it's all about the money, sorry I mean spreading the game to a massive football mad population.
    Scrub that the population in Qatar is 1.8 million of which less than 300,000 are actual citizens with some rights. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FAI paid 5m to shut up about Henry hand ball.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/04/fifa-paid-fai-after-thierry-henry-handball-john-delaney
    The Football Association of Ireland chief executive, John Delaney, has confirmed that he accepted a payment from Fifa after Thierry Henry’s handball in the 2010 World Cup qualifying play-offs ended their hopes of qualifying for the tournament in South Africa. Delaney said the payment, reported to be €5m, was made so the FAI would not pursue legal action.

Speaking to RTE, Delaney claimed the payment was “a very good and legitimate deal” for the FAI but due to a confidentiality agreement would not confirm the amount received.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Is it a possibility that the Qatar decision could now be overturned? or is it too late in the game, no pun intended. I think a winter world cup would cause untold damage to professional football throughout europe.

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah lets just ignore the fact that one of thre biggest sporting spectacles, which helps legitimise a state and it's rulers, is going to a state that has questionable human rights.

Shure it's all about the money, sorry I mean spreading the game to a massive football mad population.
    Scrub that the population in Qatar is 1.8 million of which less than 300,000 are actual citizens with some rights. :rolleyes:

You weren't referring to Qatar when you replied to my post and you know it. You even effectively admit you weren't, by stating in one breath that it should go to a massive football mad population, the original point you were attacking and then in the same breath say Qatar only has 1.8 million people. Regardless of what you or I think about where the World Cup should or shouldn't go, its the corruption of a bid and FIFA as a whole, not the state of the nation that is in discussion here. As I said, discuss FIFA and Blatter politics here, not national politics of a particular country. This isn't the place. That's my last word on this particular aspect of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes, I'm all for stamping out corruption.
    Meanwhile this slap on the wrist ... eh sorry .. "financial settlement" goes unnoticed.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/04/hsbc-fined-278m-over-money-laundering-claims
    It seems the Swiss are .. ahem ahem ..following orders.
    The settlement means the Swiss will not prosecute HSBC or publish the findings of their investigation into alleged aggravated money laundering.

Blatter tweeted the following after Barcelona won last night...

Compliments to Barcelona, you qualify again for the World Club Cup.

Nevermind the treble, winning the Champions League or even beating Juventus. He obviously considers that the biggest achievement Barcelona made last night was qualifying for the World Club Cup, a tournament he created. He's unstoppable lol.

Advertisement