Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blatter Resigns!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fifa calling it a "courageous" decision. What a load of! Trying to kick the traces and wash his hands of his wheeling and dealing is all it is. Good riddance, but I wouldn't be surprised if his replacement changes nothing. I'm sure Fifa is rotten to the core.

Sepp Bladder was the core

Of course it's always gonna be corrupt though... what does anyone expect when so many National Associations are themselves corrupt?! The way to fix corruption isn't to bring a load of corrupt people together, hand them unbelievable power and allow them to oversee billions of euro per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Brilliant news for football. Blatter has been a cancer on world football for so long. I have waited so long for this day. This is a great day for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hope the Yanks are waiting for him when he goes there next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Jan Laco wrote: »
    Now they just need to show how Russia bribed the World Cup bid and give it to the USA instead.

The Americans know enough about dodgy dealings in sport. If the doped up US team at the 1984 Olympics and all those failed dope tests that were brushed under the carpet, are anything to go by. Great to see Blatter finally getting the shove though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Good riddance. Hope he takes that gobbo Platini with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

According to the nytimes Blatter is under FBI investigation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gatling wrote: »
    According to the nytimes Blatter is under FBI investigation

Didn't take the press to tell us that. I even reckoned it was the case when the who thing broke and for me more goes on watching paint dry than a football match.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Had never heard of him prior to this thread. Epic name though.

"The names Blatter. Sepp Blatter."

What's the weather like on Mars these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Niall558

A little bit of a slow start there today infini2?

• Advertisement

BBC Radio 4 morning news said Platini is favourite to succeed Blatter. Out of the frying pan then...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Birneybau wrote: »

Red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

and this is AH version of an own goal...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Attention people!

The Falkland islands have been invaded!
    I repeat.... The Falkland islands have been invaded!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Multiple threadz merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The problem with taking the world cups away from Russia & Qatar - which should be done imo - is that, unless they can find watertight eveidence of corruption in the bidding process, the host nations will certainly be going to court. And, in the case of the Qatari royal family certainly, they have very deep pockets.

You are spot on Hoop. However, its not the only recourse that could be taken. Even without watertight evidence, there is nothing to stop nations pulling out. If the major nations which are against Blatter, FIFA and the awarding of these two venues were to pull out it would leave an almost intenable situation for Russia and Qatar. We know, for example, that England are dead opposed. I know from regular reading of Italian sports media and from following Italian football closely that Italy is of the same opinion. I can't see Germany having any usual with corruption. Even if those three pull out and plan their own, the World Cup starts to look ridiculous. I suspect many other major nations would follow suit even if just those three initiated the process. I know Spain backed Blatter, but from what I can tell they were pretty much alone in terms of the top nations so let them go to Russia and Qatar and obliterate the opposition winning what would effectively a tin pot in the process. I agree that the legal wrangling would leave the actual moving of the World Cup almost impossible to do but it doesn't mean nothing can be done. In fact, its almost more important that something is done because if corruption goes unpunished this time then it leaves the door wide open in future.

*that should read truck not usual - flipping predictive text.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Hoop66 wrote: »
    they have very deep pockets.

With these big cloak type robes they wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

I was delighted to see the Blatter the little Napoleon, forced from his corrupt throne.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Cue the swift onset of dementia for the little creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

The big ceremony and clapping for him when he announced his retirement. Honestly that looked like a stupid thing to do. Clap for a president who has dragged football and FIFA through the mud and under his leadership has gotten worse and worse. Couldn't just get up say he's retiring and leave. No no always the egomaniac and out of touch deluded fool til the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's grand, it's actually summer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

They'll go ahead with Russia, Qatar hopefully not.

Aside from the bidding process and bribery Russia probably deserves a WC. Large country with a big football following. Politics shouldn't come into it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

There's more to this than meets the eye. Since when did the Americans give a toss about corruption OR "soccer"?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Why now? Why not years ago!!

Qui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Egginacup wrote: »
    There's more to this than meets the eye. Since when did the Americans give a toss about corruption OR "soccer"?

They're desperately trying to make "soccer" a popular sport over there because it's the world's most popular sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It's grand, it's actually summer here.

You should stay there so,it's crap here :):)

• Advertisement

Agree with the idea of Russia getting a World Cup. But not getting it through corruption. Also think the Middle East should host a World Cup but that the host should be a reasonably large football-mad country such as Saudi Arabia, Israel or Iran, not one that only wants it for financial gain.

Advertisement