Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA P6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

CP30 wrote: »
    Anyone sitting P6 tomorrow? I don think I'll sleep a wink tonight. It's my last exam, failed in June got 44%. Really need to pass tomorrow can't handle waiting until next June to do it again!

I take it you didn't sit the resit in September then?
    In the event you do fail, would you not try again in March? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Hi Zero. I would have only ACCA didn't have it on in September, they only had the UK P6 variant not Irish. Same again next year. Won't have four sittings for this paper until 2017.

Good luck today Paddy, let me know how you went.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sboyle01

What did everyone think of the exam. Thought it was quite difficult. Lot of topics covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I'd say Mel Kilkenny will be doing P6 grinds soon.
    Just make sure you get a receipt.

Yeah was not the easiest though none of them are. I did questions 3 and 5 from the options which I thought were OK. I found question 2 doable but made a right pigs ear of question 1. have decided not to look at my books, don't wanna ruin Xmas before it starts!

• Advertisement

I'd say Mel Kilkenny will be doing P6 grinds soon.
    Just make sure you get a receipt.

I was actually in his revision class for this exam. He couldn't be contacted from Monday on. Never even got my mock back!

Yeah was not the easiest though none of them are. I did questions 3 and 5 from the options which I thought were OK. I found question 2 doable but made a right pigs ear of question 1. have decided not to look at my books, don't wanna ruin Xmas before it starts!

I did the same questions. Left Q1 until last and was very short of time.

Yeah I attempted a to d on question 1, skipped e tried f (badly as in embarrassingly so) and didn't even read g but it was only 1 mark. If you don't mind what did u say for recommending reducing her CGT on the apt sale. I said sell the shares now and offset the loss but couldn't think of another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

sboyle01 wrote: »
    I was actually in his revision class for this exam. He couldn't be contacted from Monday on. Never even got my mock back!

I presume you didn't get a receipt. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 longlocks

I found question 1 a disaster it's a pity because I wasn't doing to bad till that, first attempt last exam so close but so far!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Mary2014

I presume you didn't get a receipt. :D

I was in Shaun class in the same college and was verbally abused. No mocks given back either, no receipt for course, no homeworks given back either, less than impressed. Rolled eyes...

Mary2014 wrote: »
    I was in Shaun class in the same college and was verbally abused. No mocks given back either, no receipt for course, no homeworks given back either, less than impressed. Rolled eyes...

How do you mean verbally abused, by a tutor or a student? I'm thinking of complaining as I was relying on the mock feedback

longlocks wrote: »
    I found question 1 a disaster it's a pity because I wasn't doing to bad till that, first attempt last exam so close but so far!!

Seems like q1 was a problem for everyone. There seemed to be a lot of vat and capital taxes in the whole exam

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Yeah I attempted a to d on question 1, skipped e tried f (badly as in embarrassingly so) and didn't even read g but it was only 1 mark. If you don't mind what did u say for recommending reducing her CGT on the apt sale. I said sell the shares now and offset the loss but couldn't think of another one.

Don't forget bed and breakfast rules. If she reoccupied the apartment before selling it, the other periods would have all counted as deemed occupation as the assignments in Ireland were under four years and she did not own other property in Ireland or abroad.

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Don't forget bed and breakfast rules. If she reoccupied the apartment before selling it, the other periods would have all counted as deemed occupation as the assignments in Ireland were under four years and she did not own other property in Ireland or abroad.

I also put down the occupation thing. I couldn't link the shares to anything in the questions as I was in such a rush

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Paddy001 wrote: »

Sounds similar to the stuff on the F6 paper

Damn I thought bed and breakfast rules were to do with buying and selling shares within 4 weeks. I set out in the appendix the various occupation rules and then said something like "but cause you never returned to live in it these won't qual as occupation periods". Presume I'll get some of the marks for being in my appendix but not in the letter of advice?

Damn I thought bed and breakfast rules were to do with buying and selling shares within 4 weeks. I set out in the appendix the various occupation rules and then said something like "but cause you never returned to live in it these won't qual as occupation periods". Presume I'll get some of the marks for being in my appendix but not in the letter of advice?

That's exactly what it is, point being if you sell to crystallise a loss and repurchase the same shares within four weeks, the loss will only be available against the future disposal of those shares. It's therefore ringfenced. If she sold and waited the four weeks, she would crystallise the loss and use it against the apartment gain. The question was aimed at a repurchase as it mentioned she wanted to hold them as she felt they would increase significantly in the future. I wouldn't worry too much and yes you should gain marks for that!

Fingers crossed we all pass Paddy and be done with this! I told the wife earlier I might do the tax exams next, she nearly had a heart attack there and then lol!!!

sboyle01 wrote: »
    How do you mean verbally abused, by a tutor or a student? I'm thinking of complaining as I was relying on the mock feedback

I assume all they will do is refund you the portion of your fee related to your mock? Will be interesting to see how you get on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kaka86

Hey

Firstly... Mel Kilkenny!!???!!! Seriously you think he'd manage to do a good job at tax evasion.

How did you find exam? I found parts of q1,very tough but 20 marks were fairly do able...can't really remember much of q2.

Kaka86 wrote: »
    Hey

Firstly... Mel Kilkenny!!???!!! Seriously you think he'd manage to do a good job at tax evasion.

How did you find exam? I found parts of q1,very tough but 20 marks were fairly do able...can't really remember much of q2.

Yes Q1 seemed to be a problem for most people. Did ok on the rest hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marissashapes

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if Julie Hawkins will be teaching P6 in 2016? I know she has stopped teaching F6. Hoping to have her for the course.

I am a bit nervous about the size of the subject. Can anyone compare it to the size of P2, is it much bigger?

Thanks and hope everyone did well this sitting :)

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if Julie Hawkins will be teaching P6 in 2016? I know she has stopped teaching F6. Hoping to have her for the course.

I am a bit nervous about the size of the subject. Can anyone compare it to the size of P2, is it much bigger?

Thanks and hope everyone did well this sitting :)

Julie gave up F6 as she had to cut down her lecturing hours. She is going to keep doing P6 for the foreseeable future as far as I am aware. I had her for P6 and I would highly recommend her. She has a bad rep with the lecturers in some other colleges but I wouldn't pay them any attention she's an excellent lecturer.

It's probably as big as P2 or perhaps bigger but it all sort of fits together like a big jigsaw. It's interesting and doable if you like tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marissashapes

Thanks that sounds positive! I had Julie for F6 so know how good she is. Think I would only do P6 if she was lecturing, found her fantastic.

I might put off P6 until the Dec 16 sitting, as if I did it in Jun 16 and failed, I wont have a September repeat option. Hope she will still be going then!

Thanks that sounds positive! I had Julie for F6 so know how good she is. Think I would only do P6 if she was lecturing, found her fantastic.

I might put off P6 until the Dec 16 sitting, as if I did it in Jun 16 and failed, I wont have a September repeat option. Hope she will still be going then!

I'd suggest you do it in June if possible and if that's your train of thought - June and December will be both based on 2015 tax law so it would be easier to repeat in December should the inevitable happen! Best of luck.

Yeah I had Julie for F6 and P6. She said she stopped F6 to focus on P6. If I knew before I picked P6 as my final option that it would not have the 4 sittings a year I would of done P4 instead. I only picked P6 cause Julie was the lecturer. I work in audit though not tax so might be different for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ACCA1916

Just for a bit of balance.

I had Julie for F6 and Mel just now for P6.

Both lecturers are outstanding in their field. Yes Mel has had his problems, but as a student I care about the quality of tutoring not of what they do or don't don in their personal life.

On balance I prefer Mel because Julie can take away from your other subjects, she demands all your time but both are outstanding.

Well I passed P6 - 51% and am now an affiliate!!! Have my PER done so should be a member in a few weeks.

I hope everyone else got good news too. If not they are only exams and you can do them again so don't be too stressed if you were unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ACCA1916

Passed P6 78%, with Mel kilkenny, delighted with mark, Julie and Mel are both excellent, great choice for p6 students, Plus with Mel you don't have to put up with a tyrant!

Advertisement