Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else here struggling with Japanese Knotweed?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

A lot of misinformation in this thread. For one, the bushy regrowth is caused by overtreatment with herbicide. And the rhizomes are orange, not black.

There is really good information in the Knotweed Code of Practice linked to at the bottom of this gov.uk page.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-japanese-knotweed-from-spreading

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

fits wrote: »
    A lot of misinformation in this thread. For one, the bushy regrowth is caused by overtreatment with herbicide. And the rhizomes are orange, not black.

There is really good information in the Knotweed Code of Practice linked to at the bottom of this gov.uk page.

Fits ,dug quite a few and they look black to me , on the information sheet they look black , orange if you cut .

misinformation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

fits wrote: »

Bushy growth isn't caused by over treatment, its caused by the timing of the treatment, you can't get too much glyphosate into a Japanese Knotweed plant. This year with the storm cutting short the spraying season (council workers on clean up jobs and the plants themselves defoliated and smashed down) I'm more than happy that I got managed to get some spraying in earlier in the season, timing wasn't ideal for every stand I'm trying to control but at least the JK I was tackling is on the decline rather than getting stronger.

The rhizomes are orange when you cut them open but the exposed ones down our river bank are definitely black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

my3cents wrote: »
    Bushy growth isn't caused by over treatment, its caused by the timing of the treatment
    ..which is basically undertreatment. Especially if its a spray treatment, and its done just before rain or when the plant is dormant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Has anyone explored the possibility of taking legal action against the Council for spreading it?. I have firm grounds to believe it was the Council who contaminated my property, but they are not interested in helping me remove it . I believe that laws on it 'spreading' only came into effect in recent years and hence the Council may not be legally responsible, even if they did in fact 'do it'. Does anyone else here feel that their local Council brought it to their property ? S :)

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Has anyone explored the possibility of taking legal action against the Council for spreading it?. I have firm grounds to believe it was the Council who contaminated my property, but they are not interested in helping me remove it . I believe that laws on it 'spreading' only came into effect in recent years and hence the Council may not be legally responsible, even if they did in fact 'do it'. Does anyone else here feel that their local Council brought it to their property ? S :)

This might help on the legal side https://invasivespeciesireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/JapaneseKnotweed_FAQ_24082016-V1.1.pdf. The 1976 wildlife act was amended in 2010 so 2010 seems to be the earliest date that spreading became "illegal".

This might help on the legal side https://invasivespeciesireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/JapaneseKnotweed_FAQ_24082016-V1.1.pdf. The 1976 wildlife act was amended in 2010 so 2010 seems to be the earliest date that spreading became "illegal".
    That is my dilemma, the Council spread it, but it pre-dates this time period. Think I need to link in with others who might have similarily been affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

That is my dilemma, the Council spread it, but it pre-dates this time period. Think I need to link in with others who might have similarily been affected.

In the normal course these days the legislation you really need to look towards is regulation 49 of birds and Habitats regulations

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/si/477/made/en/print

However, that's obviously after the date in which you seem to suggest the council may have spread it.

But either way if you're talking about the alleged offence taking place prior to 2010 then you're likely to be beyond the statute of limitations.

As a kind of an aside I've always wondered whether a strict or literal reading of regulation 49(2) could mean that if you had japanese knotweed growing on your property and spread beyond the private boundaries if you would be technically committing an offence for allowing it to disperse. But I think, in the very unlikely event that someone tried to prosecute you that allowing it to grow could be classified as allowing it to disperse.

Uriel. wrote: »
    In the normal course these days the legislation you really need to look towards is regulation 49 of birds and Habitats regulations

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/si/477/made/en/print

However, that's obviously after the date in which you seem to suggest the council may have spread it.

But either way if you're talking about the alleged offence taking place prior to 2010 then you're likely to be beyond the statute of limitations.

As a kind of an aside I've always wondered whether a strict or literal reading of regulation 49(2) could mean that if you had japanese knotweed growing on your property and spread beyond the private boundaries if you would be technically committing an offence for allowing it to disperse. But I think, in the very unlikely event that someone tried to prosecute you that allowing it to grow could be classified as allowing it to disperse.

I think the problem is that that many councils spread the weed by flail mowing it, tracking the roots and stems around by flail mowing it and by transporting contaminated soil during road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I think the problem is that that many councils spread the weed by flail mowing it, tracking the roots and stems around by flail mowing it and by transporting contaminated soil during road works.

Yep that happens alright. Technically that's an offence. Difficult to prove though

• Advertisement

If anyone was willing to 'link up' with me and at least try to argue a case with the Council,for our mutual benefit,Id be interested. They will not listen to me as an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So how long has it been on your property?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

If anyone was willing to 'link up' with me and at least try to argue a case with the Council,for our mutual benefit,Id be interested. They will not listen to me as an individual.

I find if your looking for help from the council you need to get talking to the lads on the ground. You then bypass the bureaucracy.

I got talking to the lads spraying knotweed last year. I had reported several places that were missed but nothing was done. Talked to the lads spraying and they did them when passing. Also got them to spray a bit around a relatives property.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭twofish101

There is an app developed by Limerick County Council called Invasive Species App. This allows anyone to report an invasive species including JKW. there is description of species, pictures etc. Well worth the effort. Many County Councils run Invasive Species courses during the year especially for tidy town groups. Keep an eye out for these if done in your area, usually a day long course, usually free, and presented by Invas Biosecurity. invasivespecies.ie, well run and informatitive. The most worrying thing was at the course they had a piece of JKW stored in a dry cardboard box for many years and it still sprouted from time to time :-(

I find if your looking for help from the council you need to get talking to the lads on the ground. You then bypass the bureaucracy.

I got talking to the lads spraying knotweed last year. I had reported several places that were missed but nothing was done. Talked to the lads spraying and they did them when passing. Also got them to spray a bit around a relatives property.

Would like Clare County Council to at least acknowledge their role in causing the problem. But that would probably open 'a can of worms'. They won't listen to me as an individual. Have tried.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Would like Clare County Council to at least acknowledge their role in causing the problem. But that would probably open 'a can of worms'. They won't listen to me as an individual. Have tried.

Maybe because that would be an admission of liability and open them to legal action. Whether they did or not, their insurers are never going to allow them to admit liability.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0811/984376-monsanto-trial/ Looks as though Round-Up might cause cancer. If this is unsafe,what are the alternatives ?

As I said before the knotweed has now largely morphed into a kind of bushy form,growing out rather than up,predominantly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0811/984376-monsanto-trial/ Looks as though Round-Up might cause cancer.
    A random sample of people from this thread would probably be better qualified to answer that question than the random San Francisco jury who awarded this guy 300 million dollars.

Don't drink the stuff, and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭standardg60

recedite wrote: »
    A random sample of people from this thread would probably be better qualified to answer that question than the random San Francisco jury who awarded this guy 300 million dollars.

Don't drink the stuff, and you'll be fine.

Yep Round-up causes cancer and OJ Simpson didn't kill his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's a bit more than don't drink it... it's a useful tool, but people treat it as commonplace and totally safe...and you'd be surprised at how much you consume daily... It's present in wheat /soya and a lot of water supplies..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement