Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitler

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

This post has been deleted.
    That doesn't lessen what was done to people under Hitler and his crew.

Like someone said on the slavery thread, there always seems to have to be "But what about this and this" when all were horrible, and there's no need to compete them with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Wibbs, I want to do a (European) War tour some day.

Just to say, to other boardsies, the death of millions was triggered by Hitler's death.

The following BBC feature has appeared on various sites, including YouTube, in the last few days.

Search for: 1945 The Savage Peace

Millions died with the defeat/retreat of the military personnel, along with the extermination of civilian populations in, umm.. 'German enclaves' (language and culture distinct from the host country), that had littered outlying countries since or before medieval times.

Grim stuff, for the BBC, you have been warned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jasenovac was a true hell on earth. It made Belsen look like Butlins.
    +1

Not all concentration camps were equal.

There were two main types of camps.
    Concentration camps , which are what you see on TV and films.

But there were also the Extermination camps where the real killing took place. Pretty much if you weren't assigned to the Sonderkommando after getting off the train you'd be dead inside an hour at most.

You've heard about concentration camp survivors. Most extermination camps had very, very few survivors. Between Chelmno, Belzec and Majdanek there were four Jewish survivors.

And there were the three million Russian POW's who died in captivity during first six months of the war with Russia. A death rate higher than anything later. This and the extermination camps distinguish the Nazi regime and their co-travellers from others. But the Russians were in the care of the Wehrmacht not the SS. Normal soldiers not fanatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Amalgam wrote: »
    Wibbs, I want to do a (European) War tour some day.

Just to say, to other boardsies, the death of millions was triggered by Hitler's death.

The following BBC feature has appeared on various sites, including YouTube, in the last few days.

Search for: 1945 The Savage Peace

Millions died with the defeat/retreat of the military personnel, along with the extermination of civilian populations in, umm.. 'German enclaves' (language and culture distinct from the host country), that had littered outlying countries since or before medieval times.

Grim stuff, for the BBC, you have been warned.

I can understand the murder of the people in power by the victors but the murder and rape of innocent women and children makes them as bad as the Nazis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I can understand the murder of the people in power by the victors but the murder and rape of innocent women and children makes them as bad as the Nazis
    And men.

Same mindset: "They've done nothing but they share the same nationality as the enemy so they're fair game".

And reading reviews of the programme (which was very well put together) numerous social media commenters shared the same mindset. It's a really base way of looking at things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wibbs wrote: »

Over the years I collected books penned by German combatants and always looked for the first editions that came out just after the war, when memories were fresh and they were less edited. An interesting and nuanced picture often emerges from them.

Black Edelweiss is good for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I once saved lots of pictures of Hitler on my friends computer. Then one day she and her aunty were looking through her pictures and suddenly loads of pictures of Hitler popped up. She wasn't too pleased with me for that one..

:D Gold!

My uncle loves WWII history and has a lot of books on the subject, but we noticed a lot of ones in particular about Hitler or the SS ...

Myself and the brother printed a pic of Hitler and got a cheap frame and hung it up in his house when we visited once.

Don't think he noticed it for weeks !! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

That doesn't lessen what was done to people under Hitler and his crew.

Like someone said on the slavery thread, there always seems to have to be "But what about this and this" when all were horrible, and there's no need to compete them with each other.

Exactly, no wrong is any better or worse than another. They are all horrible incidents in their own right.

People love a bit of whatabouttery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

hitlrt.JPG

The little b-ollox

Fuck, just realised he's the image of my nephew there...

Advertisement