Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists should do a theory test!

Options
  • 01-06-2015 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

A lot of cyclists have no concept of the rules of the road and are getting more and more agressive. There acting like they have the right of way the whole time, weaving in and out of traffic, breaking red lights, not adhering and not looking for possible dangers ahead. Stricter and harsher penalties are needed for them. A piece of advice playing chicken with cars will not work well in the long run for ye. Should be made do some sort of simulation test or something. They are some decent cyclists but most are idiots.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I agree. They go on about cars breaking red lights (in most cases legal) but they are the ones that I see every morning and night breaking red lights the minute the green man comes on..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Pure scum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Better ring Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

lickme wrote: »
    A lot of cyclists have no concept of the rules of the road and are getting more and more agressive. There acting like they have the right of way the whole time, weaving in and out of traffic, breaking red lights, not adhering and not looking for possible dangers ahead. Stricter and harsher penalties are needed for them. A piece of advice playing chicken with cars will not work well in the long run for ye. Should be made do some sort of simulation test or something. They are some decent cyclists but most are idiots.

I think you should bring your very erudite opinions to the Cycling Forum, where no doubt they will be welcomed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=410

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

A lot of drivers have no concept of the rules of the road and are getting more and more agressive. There acting like they have the right of way the whole time, weaving in and out of traffic, breaking red lights, not adhering and not looking for possible dangers ahead. Stricter and harsher penalties are needed for them. A piece of advice playing chicken with cars will not work well in the long run for ye. Should be made do some sort of simulation test or something. They are some decent cyclists but most are idiots.

A lot of pedestrians have no concept of the rules of the road and are getting more and more agressive. There acting like they have the right of way the whole time, weaving in and out of traffic, breaking red lights, not adhering and not looking for possible dangers ahead. Stricter and harsher penalties are needed for them. A piece of advice playing chicken with cars will not work well in the long run for ye. Should be made do some sort of simulation test or something. They are some decent cyclists but most are idiots.

Idiots are idiots regardless of their mode of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Can't we all just get along? Say 'tain't so, Paw!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Cyclists breaking red lights is an epidemic at this stage. I see cyclists do it ten times more than I see cars do it, and as a pedestrian they've almost mowed me down a number of times. Who do they think they are, exactly? And I speak as a pedestrian, a cyclist and a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Drivers have to do a theory test, and there are already punishments for bad driving. I see bad drivers every day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

lickme wrote: »
    They are some decent cyclists but most are idiots.

The very same applies to car drivers. Most don't even know how to indicate properly on roundabouts. Failure to indicate correctly should be a penalty points offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

When you have your indicator on to turn left and the whizz up inside you knowing that the driver will always be found to be in the wrong..where is the justice in that?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

They're just as bad as Hitler in my book.

Colser wrote: »
    When you have your indicator on to turn left and the whizz up inside you knowing that the driver will always be found to be in the wrong..where is the justice in that?:mad:

Have a think about some poor sod driving a huge artic, having to try and mind these fcukan fools that are so high on lactic acid and righteousness they no longer think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

They should pay road tax too!

There is a video on the cycling forum of cars "breaking lights". In that video, Had the cars stopped, There would have been a pile up behind them.

You can go through a amber turning to red light if it would be unsafe to stop.. Ie slamming on the anchors.

Cyclists do it day in day out.. €100 a pop and a Garda would collect €20,000+ in fines in an hour at the junction of Harolds Cross Rd/Rathgar Ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They should be able to be fined, mandatory to carry official national ID to use a bike and enforcement. Caught with no ID, dragged to the nearest station and fined. Keep hitting them in the pocket and they will think more.

I was hit twice on the footpath around Stephens Green by morons cycling on the path on those City bikes, I was hit from behind both times. Pure idiots.

They're just as bad as Hitler in my book.

They're very similar to Hitler,Ted - Hitler eventually killed himself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

The one good thing about Winter is the lack of cyclists on the road imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

dubscottie wrote: »
    There is a video on the cycling forum of cars "breaking lights". In that video, Had the cars stopped, There would have been a pile up behind them.

You can go through a amber turning to red light if it would be unsafe to stop.. Ie slamming on the anchors.

Cyclists do it day in day out.. €100 a pop and a Garda would collect €20,000+ in fines in an hour at the junction of Harolds Cross Rd/Rathgar Ave.
    We'll you see,here's the thing about that. Garda stops Lycra nazi A at Harold's Cross. Books him. Fines him. 5 mins of paper work there. Lycra Nazi B sees said Garda, hits the brakes and behaves. However, next red light it's **** you very much, I'll do what I want.
    Same applies for every other cyclist who appears during that period. It's like fishing for tadpoles with a goalpost netting. Waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

They should be able to be fined, mandatory to carry official national ID to use a bike and enforcement. Caught with no ID, dragged to the nearest station and fined. Keep hitting them in the pocket and they will think more.

I was hit twice on the footpath around Stephens Green by morons cycling on the path on those City bikes, I was hit from behind both times. Pure idiots.
    You are too soft. Automatic tazering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

They should have a licence, insurance and tax. If they want to use the roads, they should pay for them.
    And those pricks who get dressed up at the weekend, they are suffering a mid life crisis. Oddballs.

• Advertisement

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b78_1432924447

Surprised he did not claim the car was illegally parked.. LOL

I asked the Cycledub lad on utube why he broke or ignored 20 road signs/lights in his vids.. Got the usual "but cars do it all the time" crap.

Banned me from commenting now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

They don't need a theory test. They well know the rules, they just don't care about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Banning the energy gels will solve 56% of the problem.

Banning the energy gels will solve 56% of the problem.

And 30% of the litter problem up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 leftfinger

the way i see it drivers, cyclists and pedestrians haven't a clue most of the time.

most people driving are speeding, on the phone or just not paying attention

cyclists and pedestrians are not taking due care.

at least if i get hit by a cyclist there's a pretty good chance i;ll walk away with only a bruise
    a car on the other hand the way most people drive id be killed on impact.

i also cant see the insurance for cycling working to well.
    would that then mean that kids can no longer cycle to school?

i'm a pedestrian, cyclist and driver and no matter which mode of transport i use i see idiots and id be surprised most of the time how they haven't been killed yet

They don't need a theory test. They well know the rules, they just don't care about them.

just like a whole lot of drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm not sure why people get so defensive about this. Cyclists are using vehicles which can move at speeds that are capable of hurting a person. There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't have to pass some kind of competence test before they can use them in public, just as with drivers.

Also, personally I'd like to ban those feckin' rickshaw gobsh!tes from Stephen's Green. Not the roads, just the footpaths. No high speed vehicles should be allowed on the footpath at all IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

leftfinger wrote: »
    at least if i get hit by a cyclist there's a pretty good chance i;ll walk away with only a bruise
    a car on the other hand the way most people drive id be killed on impact.

The trouble for me is, while you're right about a car collision damaging a pedestrian more than a bicycle collision, the latter is far, far more likely to happen to pedestrians who obey the rules because of (a) cyclists on the footpath and (b) cyclists who break red lights.

I've had many more near misses with cyclists over the last few years than with cars, generally because when I'm walking on the footpath a car is highly unlikely to mount the pavement with no warning (at the very least, you can hear it coming) and secondly, because in four years of college I've never seen a car sail through a light which has been red for a long time with a green man, but I see cyclists do it every day. Cars do sometimes speed up to get a light which has just turned red, but I'm talking about a light which is about to go green again having been a green man for the last minute or so. Many cyclists just ignore red lights full stop - and worse than that, not just red lights but crowds of people.

• Advertisement

The trouble for me is, while you're right about a car collision damaging a pedestrian more than a bicycle collision, the latter is far, far more likely to happen to pedestrians who obey the rules because of (a) cyclists on the footpath and (b) cyclists who break red lights.

ive been hit by a car twice in my life.

the first was many years ago as a child i was crossing the road on a green mad and a car struck me lucky they were not able to slow down enough in time to only really knock me onto the ground. i was able to get up and walk away from it.

the second time only occurred a few weeks ago while cycling i was clipped by a wing mirror or a car the car stopped for a moment and then just went on his/her way

i was also again luckily to have walked away from that but my bike was damaged and cost me 200 euro to fix.

ive never been hot by a cyclist maybe its different here in limerick but i hardly ever see someone cycling on the path.
    i do see them running lights and cycling down the wrong side of the road alright.

but i also see cars speeding through pedestrian crossings in the mornings so they dont have to wait while the lollipop lady is letting the kids cross.

i can think of ways that would help with these problems

1. better education for everyone
    2. mandatory driving retest every 10 years or less
    3. more garda on the street to enforce the laws

a theory test for cyclists what a silly idea when are you going to give people the test when they are 7 years old?

how would insurance work? it would only increase existing car insurance as the amount of claims that would go against a car would increase most of those bike are worth 1k and over.

Advertisement