Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming home? Are you thinking about it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

This thread is pretty quiet, how are people feeling about the decision to stay or go or thinking about it??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Blue Whale wrote: »
    This thread is pretty quiet, how are people feeling about the decision to stay or go or thinking about it??

I went to Ireland for 9 days at the start of the month. While I was in the sky on the way over my employers took the opportunity to fire me via e-mail. No notice, nothing. The reason they give seemed bogus considering I had a one on one a few days before leaving and everything was fine. I was putting in 100+ hours a week for them...but it was a startup, so I guess that may be part of the gamble with them.

The worst part of the timing was the fact it left me in a position of trying to find a new job whilst being on 'vacation', which proved very difficult. I also could not apply for unemployment (blocked from overseas and vpn didn't work), I could not do a drug test until I got back, could not do a face to face interview AND the absolute worst: I found out my wife, newborn son and I were without health insurance, it was cancelled before I even received the e-mail.

And of course, my son got sick for the first time. This kicked off a very dark few weeks. My wife was working part time. She loved her job. Without filling me in, she applied for some jobs, went for a few interviews and landed a full time job that offers health insurance. She'll be starting her new job in 3 weeks. She applied for insurance through the marketplace to try and get something more immediate but it won't come into effect until July 1st...I've now got a new job which I start on Monday (can't apply for insurance until the first pay period) but the damage has been done. Our lives have been flipped upside down.

She said she knew you could be fired at any time here (we live in a right to work state) but she never thought it would happen to us. It did and it was a blow. My unemployment payments haven't come through and may not before I get paid.

The whole thing has helped give extra convincing to my wife to get the hell out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I went to Ireland for 9 days at the start of the month. While I was in the sky on the way over my employers took the opportunity to fire me via e-mail. No notice, nothing. The reason they give seemed bogus considering I had a one on one a few days before leaving and everything was fine. I was putting in 100+ hours a week for them...but it was a startup, so I guess that may be part of the gamble with them.

The worst part of the timing was the fact it left me in a position of trying to find a new job whilst being on 'vacation', which proved very difficult. I also could not apply for unemployment (blocked from overseas and vpn didn't work), I could not do a drug test until I got back, could not do a face to face interview AND the absolute worst: I found out my wife, newborn son and I were without health insurance, it was cancelled before I even received the e-mail.

And of course, my son got sick for the first time. This kicked off a very dark few weeks. My wife was working part time. She loved her job. Without filling me in, she applied for some jobs, went for a few interviews and landed a full time job that offers health insurance. She'll be starting her new job in 3 weeks. She applied for insurance through the marketplace to try and get something more immediate but it won't come into effect until July 1st...I've now got a new job which I start on Monday (can't apply for insurance until the first pay period) but the damage has been done. Our lives have been flipped upside down.

She said she knew you could be fired at any time here (we live in a right to work state) but she never thought it would happen to us. It did and it was a blow. My unemployment payments haven't come through and may not before I get paid.

The whole thing has helped give extra convincing to my wife to get the hell out of here.

I'm confused, are you in Ireland or somewhere else?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

He's in America, Seattle area if I remember rightly. Sorry to hear that Wompa, sounds so scary. Let us know how you're getting on.

I'm back since March this year and *finally* starting to feel like I live here. Weird to come back and have Brexit happen, too, because I hadnt been following it at all.

Our apartment is great, job is going well, settling back in fine myself. Not so much for the OH but hoping he'll figure it out over time, he misses California sun.

It is weird re-adjusting to things, some things are the same, but different. Like my dad and his wife's place - looks different, feels the same, but they're also a little different, but good? I am not describing it well. Anyway, I am so excited to be back. Got a little car, had a house warming and fed 25 or so people, see my cousins and family and friends often enough. It's why I wanted to come back, it was the right decision for me.

It's weird thinking back to when I started this thread, thinking and obsessing about coming home, to be writing this from my home in Dublin. Thanks for the support all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I've spent a grand total of four weeks at home since mid-January - currently on the sixth of six short contracts - and can't wait to get back to my house and garden. Earning money is all very well, as is getting to meet new people (or people you've only ever known through th'internet!) but I've had enough now and want to go back to being a happy peasant for a while! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Wompa1 wrote: »

Probably a moot point at this stage, but you should be able to bridge the gap and keep the group insurance scheme you were in, under COBRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Back for good next week. Can't believe it. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Back for good next week. Can't believe it. Can't wait.

fantastic. This week are are back six years from USA this week and no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

And I'm back. I'm sitting on my own couch in my own house, freezing cold :) .

One thing that has really struck me - for some reason I am completely devoid of emotion about the life I left behind.

I will of course miss the people, but I didn't find myself getting nostalgic as I got on the plane, it was more a case of "get me on that plane". I'm sure it will hit me at some stage.

I'm in the very fortunate position of having been offered a job, so the only explanation I can make is that I have switched to putting all my energy into this new job to the expense of emotion for the previous job. Plus, I know I'll be in regular contact with my friends from my emigrant life (I'll be seeing about 10 of them at a wedding here in Ireland at the weekend!).

It's odd. I nearly feel guilty for not feeling anything about my old life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It's odd. I nearly feel guilty for not feeling anything about my old life.

Wait until people from your old life ask you what you miss about your old life. Happens to me all the time and I struggle to find an answer.

Congratulations on the big move Tom Dunne!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

CONGRATS DUDE! Delighted for you!

I have three close friends from CA who tell me they miss me all the time. I do miss then when I think about it, but 99% of the time I am too happy/busy getting on with my life here to stop and think of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Well, we've made the decision not to renew our visas. Which leaves us with 7 months max - probably less - here in the USA. Strange feeling. Probably going to be home by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I have six and a half hours left in Normandy, then an eight hour drive to get home.

Can't wait!

'Twouldn't happen to most of you, seeing as your obstacles to coming back are more significant but I very nearly left early by accident. :o Was on-call and disturbed during my deep-sleep yesterday morning, so not quite "with it" for the rest of the day. Went out at lunchtime to fill up with snacks and diesel for the drive home. On the way back to work, window down, 28°C, bright sunshine, saw the sign for the toll bridge (= way out :pac: ) and drove off in that direction at the roundabout before the OhFeck! moment hit me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Are many in the uk thinking of going home post brexit??

He's in America, Seattle area if I remember rightly. Sorry to hear that Wompa, sounds so scary. Let us know how you're getting on.

Phoenix, Arizona. So, I got back and started a job. It's been a clusterf*ck. I still haven't got my unemployment money. Previous employers just paid me for time owed but didn't pay for any of my vacation time. So, it's up to me whether I want to pursue them or not. They are based in another state, so it may not be worth it.

It turns out the recruiter for my new job completely lied to me about the insurance or as the director at her company explained "misinformed" me. I asked where my insurance was...I was told it wouldn't start until September 1st..I contacted them and said I didn't think that was legal. That it's legally mandated that I have insurance, so if they don't provide it sooner, I'll have to ask that they pay me a higher hourly rate to cover the cost.

That changed their tune a bit..now the insurance comes in on August 1st. So just in time for our current coverage to expire.

My wife hates her new job. So that's crappy, particularly because she took it due to my instability.

On the plus side. I took a contract job, I'm making great money so maybe that will get us to Ireland sooner than I had anticipated. I started to reach out to figure out what the visa requirements for my wife and son are and also got a quote for moving our dog.

In other local news. There's a serial killer in our area. He's killed 5 people within 10 miles of our place...now going out to walk the dog at night is a very different experience. Phoenix also made global news thanks to the police pepper spraying the sh1t out of protestors last Friday night.

For all that left America, you made the right choice!
    Probably a moot point at this stage, but you should be able to bridge the gap and keep the group insurance scheme you were in, under COBRA.

Yeah, the quote for the family was $1,600 a month. I'm very lucky that I just came in under the cut off for the Affordable Care Act. We gave the young lad baby tylenol and all turned out ok after a few sleepless nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Are many in the uk thinking of going home post brexit??

For me, it's not that Brexit suddenly makes me panic and want to go home, it's just another factor that adds to my already growing desire to return.

I've just moved to Bristol from the midlands, via work in China for 7 months, and I hoped that the constant wondering about coming home would subside due to my change of scenery and job, but so far it hasn't. If anything, right now if I had to pick, I'd choose to come home for good within 6-9 months. And it's not that I don't like Bristol- it's that I do, and am still not too bothered with staying in England. I just don't think I have the energy to create a new life for myself again. As I get a little older (turn 30 next year), I want to be closer to my parents and cousins and not just see them every 3-4 months. The job I moved here for is also disappointing so far, and I feel I was misled about its content, although the money is good, I've been told I can do a little side qualification I've been planning for a while, and the company looks good on paper.

Bristol is gorgeous in comparison to where I lived before, I live in a lovely house with a few others my age who are all sociable and lovely, and invite me to things, hang out and have a few drinks etc. Just still feels like effort. I am only a month in though so am definitely not too worried, of course I will grow to feel more at home.

The thought of starting a relationship with an English guy though... Vs just going home early next year and finding a nice home grown Irish man! I dunno, if I could get a half decent job at home, I think I'd be gone. :-/

Definitely give yourself a time limit. Six months, a yaer. It forces you to stop obsessing and allows you time to see if you settle.

Sorry the job isnt the best, hope the side qualification or money at least helps.

Just got the unemployment. I was unemployed for 4 weeks. Got $428...not even half of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I'm doing it. I'm coming home. Life is too short to feel you have to spend X amount of time somewhere, just to tick a box, when your instinct is screaming at you what to do.

I won't come home without a job, but the search begins properly tonight. This is the first time I'm actually going to be applying to jobs in Ireland since leaving. I can stay in my family home in Dublin for a few months too to get sorted, which helps enormously.

I've just bought a car so will be stung for VRT if bringing it back though. :-/ Not enough to put me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Im currently enroute from Ireland back to New Zealand and i've made the decision... I'm coming home. This visit was a sad one, a relative is very sick and it was a visit to say goodbye which broke my heart.

Essentially it came down to an equation that dawned on me driving to Dublin the other day. I come home every 2 years, my parents are in their 60s with a maximum 20 years of good quality (..!) life left which means i will see them 10 more times. Not worth it.

I ADORE my NZ life and i will be beyond devastated to leave however i don't believe i cannot re-create my life in Ireland. Family are everything and i don't think an occasional suntan and fush and chups are worth missing out on their lives. I've been gone for 10 years at this stage and it will realistically be another 18m before i actually set foot on irish soil for my forever visit as i have more travel to do and saving to do but it feels great to have the decision made. Its done. IM COMING HOME :):)

Jobs are another story.... why has nobody made a mint creating a job search engine that actually works and is user friendly?! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

This post has been deleted.

Yeah but the rest of Ireland generally doesn't. Nothing particularly wrong with Dublin, but Dublin isn't home at all for a lot of people.
    Everyone returning can't live in Dublin, nor do they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

I'd rather live in here in England than go back to Ireland to live in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

I moved home a year ago and Dublin has loads of jobs.

Yeah but the rest of Ireland generally doesn't. Nothing particularly wrong with Dublin, but Dublin isn't home at all for a lot of people.
    Everyone returning can't live in Dublin, nor do they want to.

You're 100% spot on with that remark, I'm seriously considering moving back after 3 years in America, i'll be bringing my American spouse and she's even keener than me now, but my family is all in Westmeath and I 100% would not want to live in Dublin. I'm trying to look at Galway or even Cork before Dublin, it's a great city to visit but just like London I could never imagine living there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Shelga wrote: »
    For me, it's not that Brexit suddenly makes me panic and want to go home, it's just another factor that adds to my already growing desire to return.

I've just moved to Bristol from the midlands, via work in China for 7 months, and I hoped that the constant wondering about coming home would subside due to my change of scenery and job, but so far it hasn't. If anything, right now if I had to pick, I'd choose to come home for good within 6-9 months. And it's not that I don't like Bristol- it's that I do, and am still not too bothered with staying in England. I just don't think I have the energy to create a new life for myself again. As I get a little older (turn 30 next year), I want to be closer to my parents and cousins and not just see them every 3-4 months. The job I moved here for is also disappointing so far, and I feel I was misled about its content, although the money is good, I've been told I can do a little side qualification I've been planning for a while, and the company looks good on paper.

Bristol is gorgeous in comparison to where I lived before, I live in a lovely house with a few others my age who are all sociable and lovely, and invite me to things, hang out and have a few drinks etc. Just still feels like effort. I am only a month in though so am definitely not too worried, of course I will grow to feel more at home.

The thought of starting a relationship with an English guy though... Vs just going home early next year and finding a nice home grown Irish man! I dunno, if I could get a half decent job at home, I think I'd be gone. :-/

ive dated a few english girls. They really are a bit mental!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I find myself suddenly considering it out of almost nowhere. I have not been considering moving home, at least not consciously that I have been aware of. And life in Germany is very comfortable, great quality of life, good prices, wonderful health system, and my kids are growing up bi-lingual (2yo and 6yo) the older of which starts her first school year in two weeks.

But while home for a three week holiday this week I got a job offer and I find myself thinking about it all the time. And like two users in the last few pages of this thread.... which I have now read every post on..... I can not really think straight or sleep right until the decision is made. Family is the strongest argument. I really do feel a lump in my heart and throat at the thought of the rare relationship the kids have with their aunts, uncles and grand parents. The expiry date on the grand parents are fast approaching.

I am currently waiting for the formal offer to see if the pay package is wonderful, crap or somewhere in between. I find myself hoping it is either really good or really bad so the decision will make itself. If it falls in between then I am going to stress over the decision. But while my current company do not pay amazingly well for my work, its a very comfortable salary in this country and I enjoy the work. That said in terms of development and training and learning and self expansion I have pretty much pushed this company to the limits I can get from it. It is a software end user of the kind of software I am training to develop. While the new job would be in product development in a reseller of that software. And that is where the majority of the experiences and development is to be gained.

Trying to work out what life will cost is hard. Especially without knowing where you will live. Because I can not then work out what rent/mortgage will actually be. Let alone what monthly bills will be given they depend on the size and quality of any house too. And as many are finding it looks like Rental costs are rather quite a bit higher than mortgage repayments at the moment. I have matched up a few properties side by side on DAFT where the two properties were mostly the same (Energy rating, size and location etc) but one was rental and one was for sale. And the disparity over numerous examples was more than clear.

And I am assuming we will be a single income family of 4 for the foreseeable as my partner will not work at first. So child care costs are not an issue as yet.

The biggest issue for me though would be my daughter's schooling. It would mean essentially uprooting her a few weeks into her first school year and then dropping her at age 6 into the Irish school system in the middle of a school year. And I neither know the effects of that, or the actual financial costs of it yet. And I would also want to find some way to continue her usage and learning of the German language given it is currently pretty much a second mother tongue. I would hate to have her lose it then have to learn it all over again at age 12 in secondary school. So the ideal would be to continue it until school takes over at 12.

So lots to think over.... just thinking out loud at the moment..... any advice or comments welcome of course but I will try and form some more coherent questions and queries as time goes on. Right now I am just working out what the minimum salary would have to be to make the move financially viable. 60k only would not cut it I feel and I would instantly reject it. But 80k with full family VHI(with dental) and Pension and car allowances?? 90k? Where between 60 and 100 would I draw the lines between definite no, definite yes, and "oh god I have to really think about this".

Sorry for the rambling incoherence. As I said just thinking out loud and forum posts always serve well to structure my thoughts on any subject. They say the best way to explain anything to yourself, is to force yourself into having to explain it to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I moved home after living abroad for 15 years (with other years abroad as well). I was living in Argentina for the last 7 years or so. I was diagnosed with cancer of the bone marrow plasma cells (Multiple Myeloma). I was treated in Argentina and had a bone marrow transplant which put me in a complete remission state. I decided that I would rather die in Ireland than Argentina so came home.

The hassle I had trying to get a pension (non contributory) as I didn't have enough PRSI. Trying to get a medical card (I was 66 at the time) was an endless task. I was dealing with one particular gent in the department and he wanted different items of information. I phoned one day to see if what I had was enough. He was out of the office at the time a a young lady said she would get my file and phone me back in 10 minutes. She did and immediately said, "You should have a medical card". She then said she would have a talk with her manager who was in a meeting and phone me in the morning before midday. True to her word at 10 minutes to midday he phoned and said my card was on the way.

Now, she had exactly the same information as the gent I was originally dealing with so a lot depends on who is dealing with your claim/request.

Unfortunately, after being 5 years in remission, the cancer has returned and I have been on medication for the last 9 months but the meds are keeping things at bay, thanks be to God. I take each day as it comes and look on each day as a gift from God.

I didn't have much difficulty in opening a bank account - you just need an address and your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

I moved home after living abroad for 15 years (with other years abroad as well). I was living in Argentina for the last 7 years or so. I was diagnosed with cancer of the bone marrow plasma cells (Multiple Myeloma). I was treated in Argentina and had a bone marrow transplant which put me in a complete remission state. I decided that I would rather die in Ireland than Argentina so came home.

The hassle I had trying to get a pension (non contributory) as I didn't have enough PRSI. Trying to get a medical card (I was 66 at the time) was an endless task. I was dealing with one particular gent in the department and he wanted different items of information. I phoned one day to see if what I had was enough. He was out of the office at the time a a young lady said she would get my file and phone me back in 10 minutes. She did and immediately said, "You should have a medical card". She then said she would have a talk with her manager who was in a meeting and phone me in the morning before midday. True to her word at 10 minutes to midday he phoned and said my card was on the way.

Now, she had exactly the same information as the gent I was originally dealing with so a lot depends on who is dealing with your claim/request.

Unfortunately, after being 5 years in remission, the cancer has returned and I have been on medication for the last 9 months but the meds are keeping things at bay, thanks be to God. I take each day as it comes and look on each day as a gift from God.

I didn't have much difficulty in opening a bank account - you just need an address and your passport.

Nothing to add here except to say that I'm glad you were able to make the move back home, I hope you stay well and enjoy every day. That's great you were able to make the move after being away for so long.
    Take care x

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

cactusgal wrote: »
    Nothing to add here except to say that I'm glad you were able to make the move back home, I hope you stay well and enjoy every day. That's great you were able to make the move after being away for so long.
    Take care x
    I'm so happy to be back I'm not sorry I went!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

I'm so happy to be back I'm not sorry I went!!
    How did you find Argentina to live? Some day I have been told by my OH we are going to live there as she moved here to Ireland for me

Advertisement