Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 Trajectory

Options
  • 30-05-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Why do people say the .17 bullet is more prone to shifting from the wind than a .22 when all the ballistic charts say the opposite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

I would say it's because the bullet only weighs 17gr to 20gr vs 40gr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It doesn't.

I think it could be done to people's perceptions and the fact that they think it'll work well in a wind due to the speed when infact it's better than the .22lr in the wind, given only slighter better.

The abov shows the variance of drift at given distances. I have tried these IRL and they are accurate if not a little careful. Meaning i've gotten slightly better results. There is some merit to the above about it beeing lighter. It's a known fact that heavier bullets act better in wind than lighter bullets, all at slower speeds. However a lighter bullet can be made to perform the same or better if pushed harder. So while the 40gr .22lr will drift less it's doing on average 1070fps, whereas a .17hmr is doing 2,200fps.

However wind drift is only one aspect. The much, much lower drops, and higher energy of the hmr beats the .22lr. The only drawback would be sound reduction in which the subsonic .22 beats the hmr hands down.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

How about a 40gr .22 magnum compared to the hmr.

HMR has it bet too.

The better BC of the hmr, faster speeds, etc. cause less drift and less drop than the .22 magnum.

Even the .22lr is slightly better than the magnum.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

It is amazing to think a subsonic bullet will drift less than a WMR of the same weight.What is the reason for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Why do people say the .17 bullet is more prone to shifting from the wind than a .22 when all the ballistic charts say the opposite.

I think its because the 17 gets used a lot between 100 and 200 yards and at these distances wind drift is greater compared to the 22 where most shots are taken at less than 100 yards.
    How does the 30 grain vmax 22wmr compare to the 17 hmr for wind drift ?

Not great. Worse than the 40gr, and apparently far worse than the hmr and the .22lr.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I was expecting the 30 grain wmr to do better than that.
    Anyone know any good websites that show drop and wind drift for rimfire ammunition?

I use this online one and i also have the Nightforce BC on my computer and both say pretty much the exact same thing.

Be interesting to see if others such as Strelok, JBM, etc, say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

.17 hornet 20g v max vs .223 55g v max in a 10 mile/hr 90 degree wind

.17 hornet .223
    100 yards. 1.3 1.1
    150 yards 3.1 2.5
    200 yards 5.6 4.5
    250 yards 9.2 7.3
    300 yards 13.8 10.9

Not to much in it!

• Advertisement

What is your opinion on the killing power of the 17 hornet Kelslat.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

What is your opinion on the killing power of the 17 hornet Kelslat.

It has no bodder killing a fox at 150 yards and I reckon it would be fine out to 200 yards, I usually just call them in as close as I can. At least when you hit a fox that comes running in close to you, you won't split him in two and you can still get him at 200 yards if he stays out. You might want something more substantial if shooting further than that I can't say yet.

Sounds like the ideal fox rifle to me.

Advertisement