Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Ballaghaderreen to Scramoge [underway]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

paulbok wrote: »
    Archeology flying around Strokestown and Elphin, lots of fields fenced off now for the works (temporary fence now, permanent one in a few months, don't know why they can't do the permanent one for the majority of the road at the outset).
    I've heard that although the land has been taken over from the farmers, that it could be a year or two before they get paid for it. Surely that can't be right? I'd expect some bit of a delay to argue over compensation, but if it takes so long they should have begun negotiations earlier in the project.
    Bad enough that farmers lose land but not being able to try and replace it for years, is taking the pi$.
    The route could yet change based on what the investigations throw up. It is still only a preferred route at this stage, not absolutely final.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The route could yet change based on what the investigations throw up. It is still only a preferred route at this stage, not absolutely final.

The route has planning, and CPO confirmed so no turning back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The route has planning, and CPO confirmed so no turning back
    CPOs have been identified but not purchased yet, valuers were only appointed a couple of weeks ago. If there is a significant archaeological find, there certainly is turning back.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Fencing started in Tibohine

• Advertisement

Traffic management system in place until 21st December between Frenchpark & Ballinagare as trees & hedgerows are removed & temporary fencing is installed in preparation for new road.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/35386-traffic-reduced-to-one-lane-on-n5-between-frenchpark-and-ballingare-due-to-roadworks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Traffic management system in place until 21st December between Frenchpark & Ballinagare as trees & hedgerows are removed & temporary fencing is installed in preparation for new road.

https://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/35386-traffic-reduced-to-one-lane-on-n5-between-frenchpark-and-ballingare-due-to-roadworks

Permanent fencing going up around parts of Strokestown and Elphin as the archeology finished up.

Guessing it'll be a Spring start on the road?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

paulbok wrote: »
    Permanent fencing going up around parts of Strokestown and Elphin as the archeology finished up.

Guessing it'll be a Spring start on the road?

Have a read of the thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

10 million euro allocated to this project by TII for 2020. Strongly suggests tender in the next 12 months and construction starting in 2021 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Contractor Pre Qualification will be issued in January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

When I seen the new fence at the weekend on the way down west I threw a fist in the air and let out a yes finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭spakman

The fencing is up for the N5 turlough-westport road for at least the past 2 years, so I wouldn't take that as a sign that construction is imminent!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The construction contract for this scheme has gone to tender:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/161146/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Well done to all involved with this project. The rate of progress since An Bord Pleanala granted planning is unprecedented and I can't heap enough praise on them

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

marno21 wrote: »

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/161146/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Well done to all involved with this project. The rate of progress since An Bord Pleanala granted planning is unprecedented and I can't heap enough praise on them

I'm pleasantly suprised, myself, to say the least.

How soon can this start now ? This summer ?

How soon can this start now ? This summer ?

12-15 months would be the hope.

A lot of the variables involved are subject to change with the Government changing after the election

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Amazing, one year from ABP approval to tender. Westport to turlough took more than 4 years!

Quite realistic for construction to start in spring next year, great going.

wrote:
    And in an archaeological minefield.

Shows you what having a Senior Minister and Taoiseach/former Taoiseach having a vested interest in a road scheme gets you, and shows up the ridiculously convoluted timelines for many other road schemes for the nonsense that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Amazing, one year from ABP approval to tender. Westport to turlough took more than 4 years!

Quite realistic for construction to start in spring next year, great going.

Should be the norm for road infrastructure in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

And in an archaeological minefield.

Shows you what having a Senior Minister and Taoiseach/former Taoiseach having a vested interest in a road scheme gets you, and shows up the ridiculously convoluted timelines for many other road schemes for the nonsense that they are.

Well they did skirt fair bit north of Cruachan -- still archaeology should be interesting. One of major sites discovered in Roscommon in recent years was over 800 remains at Ranelagh just outside of Roscommon town due to road realignment of the N61.

zzzRingfortSiteRanelagh310317b_large.jpg

RingfortSiteRanelagh310317_large.jpg

https://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/800-medieval-bodies-found-during-hillfort-dig-446670.html

There's gonna be a couple of ancient DNA papers out of this site in the next two years.

The fencing and hedge clearing seems to be almost complete along the entire section of this project, including a surprisingly long section of the N61 from Killina to Shankill, where there will be an interchange.

I've just checked Google Maps and they've updated their satellites along part of the new N5 alignment. The outline of this project is very clear from slightly west of Scramogue as far as the forests and boglands of Mantua.

I've attached a screenshot of the N61 future interchange/roundabout and there seems to be a lot of archaeology uncovered.

Hopefully Google will continue to update the satellite imagery for a clearer view of this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There's a worrying amount of archaeology visible in that aerial shot to be honest. Possibly they haven't rerouted far enough away from the archaeological area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

There's a worrying amount of archaeology visible in that aerial shot to be honest. Possibly they haven't rerouted far enough away from the archaeological area?

Seems to be lots of archeology along the route, probably would hit something no matter where they went in the area.

In fairness, it's several miles from Rathcroghan. The section in the screenshot would be close to the Patrician site of Shankill which I presume was established on a previous Celtic site.

The ordnance survey maps highlight a lot of archaeology along the route between Strokestown and Elphin, such as ringforts and barrows, but I would be shocked if anything of significance is discovered west of the N61 through to Tibohine. It's running through forestry and very poor land for the most part along this section.

Any word on a start date ?

The tender process hasn't closed yet. It would then need cabinet approval for a final contract to be signed. There's no guarantee of that happening given the current uncertainty, both politically and economically. It's be 2021 at the earliest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This will be the first road scheme to be signed off (if it is) since the Greens took power. It'll be a good test to see what the appetite is for building more roads, or if they will oppose this on principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

spacetweek wrote: »
    This will be the first road scheme to be signed off (if it is) since the Greens took power. It'll be a good test to see what the appetite is for building more roads, or if they will oppose this on principle.

Seeing as this government has been chosen from ministers predominantly from Dublin and the South, I'd worry about this project being a priority. No minister that is looking for votes from Roscommon, Mayo, or anywhere West or North of Tullamore really. Can't see any of them pushing money into this tbh

Advertisement