Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

N5 - Ballaghaderreen to Scramoge [construction to commence shortly]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭roadmaster

BAM where 2nd place on this job, but with inflation there is no way in hell they could build it for there orginal price and the same with the other bidders. So what happens there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Not a Bot

Well tendering it again now at elevated prices, will result in abnormally high bids being received, and bad value for the taxpayer. Roscommon probably have an out if RB didnt comply with the provision of a bond. But the summer is coming fast and need to get it moving. I suppose prices while they are high now and the job probably is unattractive, they shouldnt stay high for the duration of a job this length. big gamble/risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Retendering would result in bids reflecting prices as they are now. I don't think it is accurate to describe it as "abnormally high", it would be the actual cost now. I don't think prices will drop off significantly in the short term, regardless of the recent jump in fuel costs, there was already significant inflation before that.

What do you mean by "if RB didnt comply with the provision of a bond", they wouldn't have been awarded the contract unless they could show they can get a bond. Not sure what kind of an "out" you think there might be there. Roadbridge have met the conditions for terminating the contract by going into receivership.

Like I said before, I don't think it will be possible to move to another tenderer at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Not a Bot

Well if these prices are not artificially elevated or abnormally high all contractors on public works contracts are screwed, owing to the race to the bottom to win tenders in the first place.

Bond: there was a rumour they couldn't get one, the reason why no real work had started. I guess the bondsman who provided it is kicking themselves now.

Awful pity if it gets further delayed retendering.

But the contract has been awarded, I linked to the Contract Award Notice earlier. The contract wouldn't have been awarded unless they had a commitment from a suitable company to provide a bond. With the contract having been awarded, the bond isn't an issue, Roadbridge has the contract regardless. There are grounds for terminating the contract, but again that is not related to the bond.

If it is retendered, the prices will naturally be higher as input costs have increased, that isn't abnormal and will be the same for all tenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 roadrunner22

Does anyone know Will the employees receive redundancy packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roadrunner22

Hopefully they will get something,a lot of workers without jobs & families without income’s!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FreedomOfSpeechAndChoice

What is "income is"?

Anyway, who cares? We're here to discuss roads, not someone's (overpaid) wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Funding for thiis job is to be reallocated to schemes in the planning phase that were susprended a few months ago

This project will have to be retendered, could easily be 12 month delay before hitting site again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

TII had funding of 50 odd million for the construction of the N5 this year which won't be used now so it needs to be allocated somewhere else or it will be lost.

Source in a few weeks ;-)

Makes sense, there was additional money announced for a couple of projects recently for which there was to be no funding this year. Retendering was the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Thanks for the info - I really hope you're right that the delay would only be 12 months. The project was first tendered in January 2020 and the contract was awarded to Roadbridge 18 months later. It will probably take months before they can retender now, so it could easily be 2 years before there's a new contractor on site.

Hopefully they can find some way of speeding that up!

Like I said before, the fact that Roadbridge haven't done any work yet makes it so much easier. The changes to tender documents should be minimal, mostly dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dunkettle had to be retendered but the Co Council managed to do some enabling works under a different contract while this was happening. The tendering took a year and the project started a year late, but it is still due to finish around the same time. Wonder if something similar could happen here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Things happen in co roscommon at a glacial pace. Annoying as its a county in the way of 3 great counties

Enabling works are always done under a different contract. The time frames stated for most road projects are padded and the contractor generally finishes before the stated date. Sisk seem to be doing a fantastic job at Dunkettle, managing a really complex job extremely well, we can only hope whoever gets this project next is as diligent.

Ironically, a company like Roadbridge who own their own plant might be more inclined to drag a job out because they are paying themselves for the plant, plus any extras or delays. Another contractor who is hiring in plant wants to get the work done because they are paying out for every day the plant is on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Knockroghery bypass was canned recently if you want some facts. And this N5 road hasn't magically just needed work in the last couple of years. So yes it is glacial

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: @HabibiLibneni Cut the backseat modding.

Several posts deleted.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

I believe the two mullingar ministers have already asked that the money be diverted in to Mullingar/Rooskey job. You wouldnt want to take your eyes of them lads for a second

• Advertisement

There's a certain logic to it as the money would still benefit a similar area of the country (but I'm biased).

I just want to pay tribute to HabibiLibneni's contributions to this forum, which were always well considered and a pleasure to read. HL said he's planning to delete his profile as a result of some entirely uncalled for rudeness by another member of the forum.

Meanwhile, back on topic, a good summary of the Roadbridge situation from Highways magazine:

Of the 50 odd million that was allocated for the N5 this year, they'd be doing well to spend 10% of it on Mullingar - Rooskey this year, that project isn't far enough along for significant sums to be spent this year.

On another note, HabibiLibneni was just correcting somebody else's false claims, it seems posters are allowed to make crap up here if it part of digs at the government in general or GP/Ryan in particular.

Roadbridge is being liquidated, according to Leo Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TnxM17

Leo corrected his mistake later in the exchange:

"The Deputy is absolutely right. The company is in receivership, not liquidation. I may have said the latter earlier, so I am happy to correct the record."

An tOrd Gnó...: 22 Mar 2022: Dáil debates (KildareStreet.com)

Roscommon county council have issued a separate tender for a survey to determine active travel options along the 'old' N5 route. Some interesting detail in the tender documents:

I was down this way early last week. I noticed a lot of utility diversons are needed along crossings I wonder would TII look at advanced contract to do this similar to luas cross city to keep the job moving

Latest update from the council, they are apparently in the dark about the future of the project. No mention yet of retendering.

Some good news this job has being retendered today

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Last contract tender - estimated value: €120m

Roadbridge tender price: €134.6m

Latest tender - estimated value: €165m

😳

• Advertisement

Fair play to them for not wasting any time with retendering!

The last time it was tendered it took 18 months to get from tender to contract award. Hopefully that will be faster this time around.

Advertisement