Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male circumcision

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Circumcised men are not real men. They have a part of them missing.

Shut up ya cheesedick :pac:

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Circumcised men are not real men. They have a part of them missing.

By that logic someone whose toenail falls off isn't a real person, since part of them is missing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Any parent who does this to their children without fully considering what it is they're actually doing is a scumbag. The only exception for infant circumcission should be health risks where it's an absolute necessity, other than that the option should be entirely up to the individual when they turn 18. Even then, unless there was severe phimosis, I think anyone that did it would be stupid because there are so many cons to circumcission. This wouldn't be needed if parents taught their children correct personal hygiene when growing up anyway, one is supposed to pull the foreskin back to properly clean their dick and also make sure they don't develop an 'anteater' dick.

At least it's not as popular in Ireland as it is in America, and even they are beginning to cop on. The worst would be fathers who are all for circumcising their sons just because "well I'm circumcised so I guess I'll do the same to my son."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

My partner has his done as a baby. He's never brought it up with his parents and they've never explained it but his brother isn't circumscised so it's probably for health reasons. Although his mom is a bit of a freak about cleanliness and he is the eldest... I'd love to know what their motivation was.

Anyway, I think it's fantastic. I think foreskins are completely gross now. Although it's definitely true about the reduced sensitivity, I think the benefits outweigh the cost. Plus, when you jizz, the sensation is just as good... It'll probably just mean a longer build-up, and I can't really see how that's a bad thing either.

While I would be completely opposed to doing it to a young child (other than for medical reasons) I think it's difficult to say whether it's ethical to do it to an infant. If more research became available with the health benefits, I might think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It should be banned. No question. As they say - your right to swing your fist stops at the tip of another persons nose. Similarly, your right to practice your religion stops at the tip of a baby boy's penis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Seriously, they will suck, the babies, cock, to stop infection. Eh. IDK what to say to that if its true. Do you have a link to anything backing that up?

Here's the Wikipedia entry on it (I did look up some of the source links cos Wiki can be dodge, feel free to research those sources yourself, as I wouldn't quote Wiki as Gospel, but it can't be THAT wrong)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit_milah#Metzitzah_B.27Peh

The practice has been banned in NY without written consent from parents:
    http://forward.com/news/195306/rabbi-performs-controversial-metzitzah-bpeh-circum/

Here's a news article relating that recently enough some babies have contracted herpes as a result of the practice :eek:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/05/jewish-mohels-banned_n_5650672.html

It appears that it's not the most common practice; seems like only a few people follow it so you can't say that it happens in most circumcisions, but it does sometimes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Chloris wrote: »
    when you jizz

ha nicely put.. both my brothers had to get it done when they were babies because their foreskin was very tight.. and it would have to be done at a later age so as babies was the better option..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think it's difficult to say whether it's ethical to do it to an infant.

No it isn't difficult at all - it's a barbaric practice.

Aside from the fact that it is mutilating a baby's genitals causing unnecessary pain and suffering over one hundred babies die in the US each year because of this completely unnecessary practice.

If over 100 babies having their penises mutilated, often because of moronic religious edict, die in the US can you imagine how many babies in less developed countries die or are left mutilated?

How the **** is this even an argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It's mental how it's so popular in the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You can blame the founder of Kelloggs for the prevalence of non-religious cirumcision. The guy was an avid anti-masturbation campaigner and advocated cirumcision to prevent masturbation which is why it's so prevalent in America. He also invented Corn Flakes because he thought it would help prevent masturbation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

He also invented Corn Flakes because he thought it would help prevent masturbation.
    :pac:
    Quote of the day.

If over 100 babies having their penises mutilated, often because of moronic religious edict, die in the US can you imagine how many babies in less developed countries die or are left mutilated?
    It's not exclusively for religious reasons and in fact if you read my post, I never advocated the religious reason for doing it. It was more than likely done for medical reasons in my partner's case. It certainly shouldn't be done in countries where their medical system is inadequate.

I'd imagine all cases of babies dying in the US after circumcision are to do with negligence or poor infection control procedures. I'd like to see the statistics from Ireland; I'd imagine that because the procedure is rarer here, the statistics would show the risk to be negligible (given the rate in America). I don't think that is reason enough to discredit the procedure entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Leave it till lads are 16, and non-medical circumcision would disappear overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

:pac:
    Quote of the day.

Bizarre, but true. I think it was he felt that too much meat in one's diet led to masturbation, so wanted to replace steak and eggs and the like as breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

My ex husband (well going through separation) is Muslim,though non religious - where he's from they tend to circumcise older boys,not babies, but before puberty. He was always indifferent with the results,and he said they were told as kids it was their choice but you wont get the party and presents if you don't:confused: he remembered being about 11, very sore at basically a big party for him - but aside from the major pain, it was great fun. He said how they did it was an Imam had literally scraped it off with something kind of blunt :eek: they do it in clinics now, but it's considered extra special if you get the traditional method (may have been bullsh*tting there). I have a 17 month old son,and he's brought circumcision up, as in wants him to have it. I said,when he's 18 and can consent, ask him yourself if he wants to. Not a chance,unless by some fluke he developed urinary problems with his foreskin:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Links234 wrote: »
    Bizarre, but true. I think it was he felt that too much meat in one's diet led to masturbation, so wanted to replace steak and eggs and the like as breakfast.

His thinking was sweet or spicy food enflamed peoples passions leading to masturbation and other saucy shenanigans.

His thinking was sweet or spicy food enflamed peoples passions leading to masturbation and other saucy shenanigans.
    I read somewhere on the Internet that he thought people would just eat the cereal instead of masturbating.

I read somewhere on the Internet that he thought people would just eat the cereal instead of masturbating.

That doesn't make sense, you can do both at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

someone must have been feeding me vindaloo in my sleep all these years.

Links234 wrote:
    That doesn't make sense, you can do both at the same time.
    But alas, you'll probably enjoy neither!

• Advertisement

It certainly shouldn't be done in countries where their medical system is inadequate.

It shouldn't be done anywhere except specifically for medical reasons.
    I'd imagine all cases of babies dying in the US after circumcision are to do with negligence or poor infection control procedures.

There's a great way of avoiding any complications at all - don't cut bits off babies' genitals unless it is medically necessary.
    I don't think that is reason enough to discredit the procedure entirely.

If it's not for medical reasons - an adult takes a blade to a child and cuts bits of its genitals off causing pain and suffering up to and including death.

Tell me why such violence, rather than being ethical, escapes qualifying as a crime of grievous bodily harm?

What part of 'sucking' on a 'dick' is incorrect?

Ultra-orthodox Rabbis sometimes suck on baby's dicks... that is a factually correct statement.

I never mentioned sex. Performing female genital mutilation isn't a sex act either.

I don't have to explain to a sentient adult what "sucking dick" means, no more than I'd have to explain that a gynecologist isn't someone who "fingers women".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I live in the US and am expecting a baby. It seems to be really common here for people to have their baby boys circumcised and when I told my doctor that I would not be consenting to a circumcision unless baby (if a boy) needed one she actually questioned me about it. I just said that it was cultural and I didn't want to put my newborn through any unnecessary pain. Her argument (and it did feel like an argument) was, "Well I presume your baby is going to grow up here so it will be against our cultural norm for him to be uncircumcised."

But alas, you'll probably enjoy neither!

Challenge accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Once the member is kept clean daily, all is ok. Cutting off of said penis-fore-skin is just barbaric and a religious of old indoctrination of crazyism. 'better than soap and water john' ? really ? ah sure my middle finger-nail should be hacked off so that my finger-nail doesn't get an infection from being so un-clean. Let's chop it off just to be sure shall we.

They will start chopping their arses off next for some reason 'fart',

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Has anyone who thinks it's okay to cut a baby like that ever watched one being done? There's videos on youtube. Come back to me and say you still think it's fine just because 'they won't remember it'.

Novella wrote: »
    I told my doctor that I would not be consenting to a circumcision ... Her argument was, " it will be against our cultural norm for him to be uncircumcised."

I think I would have told her to shut up at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Has anyone who thinks it's okay to cut a baby like that ever watched one being done? There's videos on youtube. Come back to me and say you still think it's fine just because 'they won't remember it'.

I'm a reasonably mature adult man, and the thought of that being done to me now makes me curl up in pain.

If it looks odd, and something is covering it/hiding as such...cut it off. It can only be evil - very bad.

How ironic. My friend just came in there and asked me would I like a few cock-tail sausages. Strange coincidence for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The only people who think it's OK and argue for it are the people who have had it done.

I'll keep my body part which i was born with that does nothing to interfere with my everyday life thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think I would have told her to shut up at that point.

I left that appointment absolutely furious, telling my husband I needed to find a new doctor because I couldn't have someone delivering our baby who didn't respect my wishes. I'd understand if she was arguing for something that would affect my health or the health of the baby but this is literally just personal preference. Some people think circumcised looks better or is cleaner and that's fine, to each their own, but to me it's a medical procedure and not something I am going to force on any son of mine when it's not needed.

Advertisement