Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I had that saved as a fav in Chrome. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Check Amazon too they have some chinese brands based in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Check Amazon too they have some chinese brands based in the UK.

But make sure it is being shipped from in the EU at least. Amazon UK/ES/FR/DE/IT

It wont get hit for customs when bought on amazon, but often they ship from China so can take weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

My elephone P9000 bit the dust on holiday, dropped out of my pocket as I was getting into a taxi and then got run over by another car. Ordered and received a replacement screen from Aliexpress, went to get it fitted today, but the screen I received from Aliexpress is faulty!!

Must be time for a new phone anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

eamonnq wrote: »
    My elephone P9000 bit the dust on holiday, dropped out of my pocket as I was getting into a taxi and then got run over by another car. Ordered and received a replacement screen from Aliexpress, went to get it fitted today, but the screen I received from Aliexpress is faulty!!

Must be time for a new phone anyway!!

Get a Xiaomi note 5 . Super phones!

• Advertisement

I'd be wary of them saying Global ROM instead of Global Version. Might just be badly translated but could make a big difference. But I also don't think there is a Global version with 6GB Ram (I'm not 100% on that).
    Global ROM might not have Band20/800 (I dont think it does).

€162 for Global Version on Joybuy with code SAVEMORE
    https://www.joybuy.com/650885982.html

It is also on Amazon Italy for €199 (May drop for Prime day on all amazons)
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listing/B07CZS8W5Y

The 3GB version is in a few places for around €140, but I am guessing you linked to the 6GB because you wanted more Ram.

Suckit wrote: »
    But make sure it is being shipped from in the EU at least. Amazon UK/ES/FR/DE/IT

It wont get hit for customs when bought on amazon, but often they ship from China so can take weeks.

Never had that issue, I always use prime sellers.

Never had that issue, I always use prime sellers.

To be honest, I would never have thought of it myself only somebody asked me fairly recently was amazon trustworthy, was it okay to buy a Chinese phone from there, and I said yes, any issues they are very good etc.
    I had forgotten that there are so many sellers shipping from China partly because, like yourself, I just avoid them. Unfortunately (unless they're not in any hurry for it) not everyone else will.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I would never have thought of it myself only somebody asked me fairly recently was amazon trustworthy, was it okay to buy a Chinese phone from there, and I said yes, any issues they are very good etc.
    I had forgotten that there are so many sellers shipping from China partly because, like yourself, I just avoid them. Unfortunately (unless they're not in any hurry for it) not everyone else will.

I dont mind ordering from China, I think my current phone came from Chinavasion, I just like Amazon for 3 reasons, speed, returns if any issues and the fact I know exactly how much I'm paying! :P

I dont mind ordering from China, I think my current phone came from Chinavasion, I just like Amazon for 3 reasons, speed, returns if any issues and the fact I know exactly how much I'm paying! :P
    I order from there too (Too much :(:o), but when I am ordering on amazon, I don't want it coming from there for speed.
    Saying that, in the past few months I am finding a lot of items cheaper on amazon than many Chinese stores.

I ordered this as a present for somebody last Thursday in a flash sale for €99
    https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B06XJBB6HS
    And it still says:
    Estimated delivery: We need more time to provide you with a correct estimated date. We will notify you by email when we have an estimated delivery date.
    Which is annoying, as it has been on sale again (yesterday) again for that price, so they are not low on stock. I presume waiting for a pallet to chuck it on that is going this direction.

Yep, have used Goldway (a lot) for my phones. Probably not going to purchase yet though, thanks.

I'd be wary of them saying Global ROM instead of Global Version. Might just be badly translated but could make a big difference. But I also don't think there is a Global version with 6GB Ram (I'm not 100% on that).
    Global ROM might not have Band20/800 (I dont think it does).

€162 for Global Version on Joybuy with code SAVEMORE
    https://www.joybuy.com/650885982.html

It is also on Amazon Italy for €199 (May drop for Prime day on all amazons)
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listing/B07CZS8W5Y

The 3GB version is in a few places for around €140, but I am guessing you linked to the 6GB because you wanted more Ram.

Am only tyre-kicking at the moment, if I get the P9000 fixed it would do me for another while, but according to the repair guy I dropped it into the replacement screen is faulty, but according to the seller on Ali, the firmware needs to be updated in order for the new screen to work. Had read something about that ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/elephone-p9000/help/replaced-screen-backlight-display-t3510034 ) but not sure if I should ask the repair shop to just fit the screen (whether they think it is faulty or not) and then try flashing it myself.

Am only tyre-kicking at the moment, if I get the P9000 fixed it would do me for another while, but according to the repair guy I dropped it into the replacement screen is faulty, but according to the seller on Ali, the firmware needs to be updated in order for the new screen to work. Had read something about that ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/elephone-p9000/help/replaced-screen-backlight-display-t3510034 ) but not sure if I should ask the repair shop to just fit the screen (whether they think it is faulty or not) and then try flashing it myself.

I would ask them why they think it's faulty, and if they have already fitted it/tried to fit it.
    If they have, and they removed it again........ It mightn't be as plain sailing (depending on a few things).
    Flashing it yourself is easy enough and might keep the costs down depending on the store.
    You could point them out the above flashing firmware necessity, and mention it as though you thought they would have already known that, seeing as they're in that business.
    How much were they charging to fit it?
    If they have fitted and removed it, apart from the glue, there may be other issues. You could ask them to buy a new screen. While still only paying for the repair cost. They should be able to get a screen for cheap enough (cheaper than whatever you paid). Or continue with the fixed screen and maybe some sort of warranty.
    All, only in the case that they have aleady tried to fit it.

Obviously if you're happy to continue with that screen, and them flashing it for the orginal agreed price, then maybe go with that..

Edited - You may only need to show them this and not the whole XDA thread
    https://bbs.elephone.hk/thread-12034-1-1.html#.V9YgXubSS0g

I would ask them why they think it's faulty, and if they have already fitted it/tried to fit it.
    If they have, and they removed it again........ It mightn't be as plain sailing (depending on a few things).
    Flashing it yourself is easy enough and might keep the costs down depending on the store.
    You could point them out the above flashing firmware necessity, and mention it as though you thought they would have already known that, seeing as they're in that business.
    How much were they charging to fit it?
    If they have fitted and removed it, apart from the glue, there may be other issues. You could ask them to buy a new screen. While still only paying for the repair cost. They should be able to get a screen for cheap enough (cheaper than whatever you paid). Or continue with the fixed screen and maybe some sort of warranty.
    All, only in the case that they have aleady tried to fit it.

Obviously if you're happy to continue with that screen, and them flashing it for the orginal agreed price, then maybe go with that..

Edited - You may only need to show them this and not the whole XDA thread
    https://bbs.elephone.hk/thread-12034-1-1.html#.V9YgXubSS0g

They said that they tested the screen (before fitting it), not sure how that is done to be honest, but I have to take their word for it. Might try another repair place and advise them of the flashing requirements, or might have a go at replacing the screen myself, although I think I would need a magnifier lamp at this stage!!!

They said that they tested the screen (before fitting it), not sure how that is done to be honest, but I have to take their word for it. Might try another repair place and advise them of the flashing requirements, or might have a go at replacing the screen myself, although I think I would need a magnifier lamp at this stage!!!

They could have an eDP panel tester or other equipment etc..

I might be inclined to bring it to another place. Especially if you're not so confident yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

copying this from another thread i just posted in..

the redmi note 5 i got for my son i think is a fabulous phone...and i have a samsung s8+
    i would gladly live with his phone.
    its got double the battery life of my phone, and features i would like but havent got, like fm radio and double tap to wake. and the model i got him has 1.9 apature camera (as opposed to 2.2 on some models) and its a decent shooter.
    its got a great theme store (even with a superb samsung theme)...its really fast...great menus / recent app changer etc....its a fabulous phone especially in black with a black case and black wallpaper....and its got such a good screen even compared to my amoled one.

i'm done with spending a fortune on samsung flagships after seeing how good it is.
    put it this way..i bought the samsung s8+ on release and it was 950 odd euros....i bought my son the redmi note 5...my other son a nubia m2...and her indoors a MI A1...and all 3 have double battery life of mine...and...all 3 together were half what i spent on my phone !!
    big advantage of mine though is some level of waterproofing which is important to me in my work...and obviously a top end camera...but single lens, and all 3 of them phones are dual cameras although maybe not comparable on quality...but still all 3 have decent cameras (the MI A1 is quality with google camera app installed).

...this is the redmi note 5 here in the pics...

looking forward to the release of the xiaomi mi max 3...and a global rom version....hopefully cameras are good, although i dont expect waterproofing....decent case and tempered glass that wont have a halo effect and it could well be my next phone that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Any recommendations for an upgrade from a Redmi Note 4 64GB/4GB Model?

Ideally with 4,000amh battery and NFC

Mi Max 2s maybe or wait for something else to come along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭corkie

Warning! : - MIUI 10 Oreo's Anti-Rollback Feature!

[MIUI] [Others] Important Announcement about Updating of Redmi Note 5 Pro/Redmi Note 5

To maintain system stability and ensure the security of the device, we have introduced a mechanism of anti-rollback. After you have updated to MIUI 10 Public ROM 8.7.5 or ROM afterwards, you can not downgrade your ROM to previous Stable ROM and Beta ROM.

If you have already updated your device to MIUI 10 Global Beta ROM 8.7.5 or ROM afterwards, please don't try to downgrade the ROM of your device. Otherwise, your device will be bricked, which may also affect your device stability.

[MIUI] Anti roll back policy # explained

Xiaomi have started this with RN5[WHYRED] but could also be implemented in other devices roms.

Have not found a method to disable it yet.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Xiaomi Redmi S2 Global Version 5.99 inch 3GB RAM 32GB ROM Snapdragon 625 Octa core 4G Smartphone

Down to €116.50 ($135.99) after code 7BGS23256 is added.
    Decent price, especially if it doesnt get stopped by customs.

Assuming it does, it'll be €26.80 + €12 at your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Has anyone got experience with the Nubia M2 ?

. I see Ronaldo has been advertising it .:)

Has anyone got experience with the Nubia M2 ?

. I see Ronaldo has been advertising it .:)

got one for my son last week. really good. i'd prefer the redmi note 5. but the nubia m2 is still good...amoled display too which is very surprising considering the cost...it is 16:9 ratio though as opposed to more modern 18:9 or so ratio...without a case on its got a lovely design and the dark red lines and capacitive keys are attractive to look at in the hand. camera is acceptable. its a very decent phone for the money, with superb battery life.
    for me though i find it hard to look past the redmi note 5 at this price point, although i think the nubia m2 was a little cheaper even.

off topic...kinda excited about the release, or details of, the xiaomi mi max 3 which will be on thursday 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

how will i find out if my shipment was gotten by customs? I shipped to my parcel wizard address so will it be customs up north?

idnkph wrote: »
    how will i find out if my shipment was gotten by customs? I shipped to my parcel wizard address so will it be customs up north?

You'll only know if they let you know it's out for delivery. Or if they refuse to handle it.

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/Help-FAQ/faqcategory/-1/CurrentPage/2

Like parcel motel they don't deal with customs and send it back to the vendor if anything is owed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

so is there any way i can contact customs up north ave try to find out of they have it?

dougm1970 wrote: »

off topic...kinda excited about the release, or details of, the xiaomi mi max 3 which will be on thursday 19th.

Where have you seen that please?

• Advertisement

idnkph wrote: »
    so is there any way i can contact customs up north ave try to find out of they have it?

No I doubt it. I'd say just wait it out. With luck you'll get it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement