Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I related to this guy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Are you sure? Wouldn't we need to come from the same grandparents?

No, that's where the "removed" comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Maybe you were adopted....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Is bob a friend of Dorothys?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Trojan Donkey

Smart

Ok, we're getting close. Me and "Bob's" aunt in-laws are sisters. That may have been obvious to some already.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    If the person you want to ride didn't live in the same house as you when you were growing up then it is OK.

Next person to make a silly joke like this is getting reported.
    catallus wrote: »
    No, that's where the "removed" comes in.

According to Google, that means from another generation.

However, I don't know what is meant by generation in this case. Is it family or is it great grand parents?

• Advertisement

Ok, we're getting close. Me and "Bob's" aunt in-laws are sisters. That may have been obvious to some already.

You're on the right track here.

They have a common parent.

http://lifehacker.com/second-cousins-once-removed-and-more-explained-in-1661572056

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Next person to make a silly joke like this is getting reported

You're a gobsh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Were they named Rita and Sue by any chance?

wil wrote: »
    Were they named Rita and Sue by any chance?

No and I don't get your reference.

That may have been obvious to some already.
    Dude, you're in AH on a Friday night. Nobody cares about your aunt's sister's husbands nephew or whether or not this is incest.

Just do it already.

• Advertisement

This should help:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=uncles%27s+wife%27s+sister%27s+husband%27s+nephew

Now, like you said, "Me and "Bob's" aunt in-laws are sisters", so Bob is your second-cousin-in-law, once removed.

Next!

Now, like you said, "Me and "Bob's" aunt in-laws are sisters", so Bob is your second-cousin-in-law, once removed.

Next!

But that family tree I looked at says that he would need to be descended from my great great grandparent to be my second cousin in law, once removed. He is not.

But that family tree I looked at says that he would need to be descended from my great great grandparent to be my second cousin in law, once removed. He is not.

No. It says that he would need to be descended from your great great grandparent to be your second cousin in law, once removed.

The in-law comes from the nexus of your aunt-in-laws being sisters.

Let me know how it goes, I'll be in Moe's :)

EDIT: Just to be clear here, the answer to your question is: No, you are not related to Bob in any recognised sense. Cousins in law isn't really a thing when ye are that far apart. In-laws only penetrate so far, it's a Roman thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

According to Google, that means from another generation.

However, I don't know what is meant by generation in this case. Is it family or is it great grand parents?

Look. No. You are not related. You are not related to your aunt in law either although politeness dictates we call close in laws related.

Related by blood you are not.

Ok, I want to know if I'm related to this next guy.

John had a son. My (female) first cousin, once removed, married John's son. Am I related to John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I'm Out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

He is you uncle, but his name won't be on your clan/ family tree since you are not related by bloof.

joollyparo wrote: »
    He is you uncle, but his name won't be on your clan/ family tree since you are not related by bloof.

Uncle once removed?

Anyway, before the sex trolls pour in, "John" is Charlie Chaplin. Charlie Chaplin is, of course, dead.

What's a sex troll?

• Advertisement

What's a sex troll?

I was referring to the people who kept making jokes saying I wanted to have sex with a relative of mine. Look at previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Most pointless thread, 2015. Feel free to lock this and/or ban me afterwards.

My uncle's wife's sister's husband is the uncle of Bob (name has been changed for privacy reasons). Am I related to Bob? This is not a riddle.

I couldn't find any forum more suitable than this one. Apologies for this retarded thread.

Bob is not a real person. He's your uncle's wife's sisters Battery Operated Boyfriend.

Advertisement