Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardinal suggests Irish voters are worse than the pagans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The Pagans?

Are they the ones living at number 62?
    Lovely couple, lots of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This just in: Cardinal is a fcuking moron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Yah! In your face god!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

**** em. They are nearly inconsequential in our generation. Give it 2 generations of relative economic success in Europe and the church will be radically reformed or dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Biggest compliment anyone could give me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had a pagan once, Couldnt eat a whole one though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Anything that pisses the Catholic Church off is delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I can't believe we defied Mr Burke's imagination. How dare we. I am aghast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Worst thing to happen this country was bringing christianity. We should have to stuck to our pagan ways.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oh noes, we don't all believe in the same things he does, or perhaps some of those that do believe in god also believe in the message of love, tolerance and acceptance rather than the mysogeny, hate and inequality that he seems to be in favour of.

However shall we repent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I'm not reading anything by someone who wears that ridiculous looking hat! Fuckin size of the thing! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

My wifes a Pagan/ Wiccan. Its as batty as anything else but her hot witchy friends regularly flounce round me garden by moonlight getting pissed. Nice...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That means we're one step closer to enlightenment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

mg1982 wrote: »
    Worst thing to happen this country was bringing christianity. We should have to stuck to our pagan ways.

Then we'd never have the Book of Kells and many of the great monasteries which were citadels of learning and culture.We were a beacon of light in a very dark Europe . I don't like all this revisionism the Christianity is terrible.

Sure Pagan Human sacrifices would be great in a modern Ireland....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I agree with him.

Then we'd never have the Book of Kells and many of the great monasteries .I hate all this revisionism the Christianity is terrible.

Well, 80%ish of us seem to really dig crucifiction.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I agree with him.

Do you have similar dress sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Implying Pagans are somehow bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My wifes a Pagan/ Wiccan. Its as batty as anything else but her hot witchy friends regularly flounce round me garden by moonlight getting pissed. Nice...:D

Hi. I saw your post on boards.ie and would like to receive regular email alerts...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,513 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Then we'd never have the Book of Kells and many of the great monasteries .I hate all this revisionism the Christianity is terrible.

Give me ancient sites like Newgrange and Loughcrew over monasteries any day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Then we'd never have the Book of Kells and many of the great monasteries which were citadels of learning and culture.We were a beacon of light in a very dark Europe . I don't like all this revisionism the Christianity is terrible.

Yeah, down with ritual and respectful killings, we should just torture and butcher the people who don't believe what we do. That's the Christian way.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, down with ritual and respectful killings, we should just torture and butcher the people who don't believe what we do. That's the Christian way.

And the pagan way is much more tolerant and and pluralistic :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

yeah, be awful if groups of people where to gather every week to drink blood and consume human flesh.

<<

>>

:P

If you can read this, you're too close!

mg1982 wrote: »
    I don't agree with that. The affinity for the pre-Reformation Christian religion was initially beneficial to Irish development, but was simply too prolonged.

The failure of the Reformation in Ireland, partially to preserve the justification for the Irish national identity, marks the beginning of the ruinous domination of Ireland by the Catholic Church which, from that time, jealously guarded its hold over its remaining dominions against reform and enlightenment.

The worst to happen this country since the victory of Brian Boru was the failure of the reformation in Ireland. It is a failure for which we are still paying heavily today.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

So the Church hierarchy is capable of outrage. Interesting. I somehow thought they were the type to look the other way when something unacceptable happens. Don't know where I got that idea.

And the pagan way is much more tolerant and and pluralistic :rolleyes:

IS= Yes totally. I live with one. She ignores my atheism and I ignore her Wicca (except her mates romping about the garden by moonlight.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Surprisingly, this is not a Waterford Whispers news story. Super-conservative senior Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke has said that Irish people have gone further than the pagans in their "incredible" defiance of God

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/2108/0/ireland-is-worse-than-the-pagans-for-legalising-gay-marriage-says-senior-cardinal

Has the Roman Catholic Church officially lost the run of itself?

The Vatican's secretary of state, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, recently claimed that the Irish vote was a "defeat for humanity".

The whole church is entering the realm of satire. Cardinal Burke's wiki page reads like something from Fr Ted. His views on 'female altar-servers' causing a "man crisis" is another clanger from this nutter
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Leo_Burke#Priest_shortage

Oh boy, that's me told. When will this group of robed weirdos realise they have no power here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Sounds good to me. I'd much rather they raged on with their idiocy in the face of defeat than did a turnaround and tried to save face

seamus wrote: »

What about pagans executing Christians in the amphitheatres around Roman Europe , in fact it was the shared collective consciousness of suffering and persecution that helped Christianity thrive. You have a selective bias ?

• Advertisement

Pagans were just as ruthless as Christians, it's nonsense to assume that head hunting and human sacrifice are enlightened practices.

Advertisement