Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when you spill water all over your desk , including your mouse, iphone

Options
  • 29-05-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

& USB Cd/Dvd Drive? Just happened to me and I've wiped everything with a towel. Anything else I Should do? It's a very expensive iMac :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

me0w wrote: »
    & USB Cd/Dvd Drive? Just happened to me and I've wiped everything with a towel. Anything else I Should do? It's a very expensive iMac :(

Get your coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

It's a very expensive iMac :(

Yeah they are and more fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Yeah they are and more fool you.

THanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Don't switch it on and let it dry out, maybe get a hairdryer at it ... I have dropped phones in water before and this worked - important tho to leave it a good while off for drying time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

First thing i do is pull the power chord and battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its just water.
    The only way this will cause a problem is if it was turned on and caused a power surge and fried something.

Turn off everything. remove power cables, remove batteries etc.
    Leave everything in a warm dry place for a few days.

When you're sure everything is dry then you can turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You need bags of rice OP. Buy them in aldi.

Spill the grains everywhere water has gotten into.

Leave it over the weekend.

What happens is that the rice attracts Asians, and they're brilliant at fixing stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

the_monkey wrote: »
    Don't switch it on and let it dry out, maybe get a hairdryer at it ... I have dropped phones in water before and this worked - important tho to leave it a good while off for drying time.

Dont use a hair dryer. It will dry it too quickly and could warp/melt stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Leave it in a container of dry rice for a couple of days, all the moisture will be slowly absorbed.

cronin_j wrote: »
    First thing i do is pull the power chord and battery

I've pulled the plug and blow dried the keyboard. How long should I do this for

• Advertisement

What happens is that the rice attracts Asians, and they're brilliant at fixing stuff like that.

Hahah funny if it wasnt your computer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Bang it a few times with a hammer, this will help dislodge any water inside the unit. If that fails put it in the oven @ 200 degrees for 30 mins until the unit turns a golden brown colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

When I spill water all over my desk, I ejaculate furiously over it to hide the water I've spilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I dropped my iPhone into a bucket of water, got it out, did a Taylor Swift on the water and shaked it off. Then looked to see if it still worked and a sigh of relief as it was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

What do you do when you spill water all over your desk , including your mouse, iphone & USB Cd/Dvd Drive?

I have a conniption.

Though you're probably okay. I paid €80 [as far as I recall] to get an iphone repaired which had a smashed screen and had been immersed in water. (Though it would be a lot more to get Apple to do it.) Mouse is probably fine. No idea about dvd drive but they're cheap enough and you can get by without one okay in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Leave the whole thing off until you're sure its dry, a week or so. You don't want to take any risk when you're talking the price of an iMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

the water itself won't do any harm, it's the ions in the water that can damage electronics.

Did you see any ions in the water?
    If you did, you should probably pick them out with a cocktail stick

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Call it a week.

Akrasia wrote: »
    the water itself won't do any harm, it's the ions in the water that can damage electronics.

Did you see any ions in the water?
    If you did, you should probably pick them out with a cocktail stick

WHAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

RobertKK wrote: »
    I dropped my iPhone into a bucket of water, got it out, did a Taylor Swift on the water and shaked it off. Then looked to see if it still worked and a sigh of relief as it was ok.

You pulled your pants down, sat on the ground and wiped your bare ass against the floor like an old dog? I don't know how that's going to help your iphone…

• Advertisement

Its usually red wine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

WHAT

Ouch, my ears

Its usually red wine.....

Alcohol dries faster than water though doesnt it? it's just a bit stickier ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Buy a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Disassemble everything as best you can and put it in the hot press, not touching the tank.

One of the kids fecked water in my laptop and it got in the screen and prevented the touch pad and keyboard from working just the other day. Everything is working perfectly now but there's a slight water stain in the top corner of the screen. I reckon that'll feck off soon though.

diomed wrote: »
    Buy a PC.

Such a great idea I never thought of that.. I might just do that today. THANK YOU! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Alcohol dries faster than water though doesnt it? it's just a bit stickier ?

Yeah but it's got more ions and salts in it which will rightly **** anything electronic. Leave the thing off for a least a week in a hotpress op. Don't be tempted to turn in on any earlier than that or else it'll be ****ed. The longer you can leave it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Put on a swimsuit and act like you meant it. Don't break character for the full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Burn the house down.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Hang on, was the iMac affected or just the keyboard? If the latter you may have to buy a new keyboard -- that's all.

Edit:

Actually read the op. The iPhone can get water damaged but you should be able to tell fairly quickly. If the touchscreen works you're ok.

I'm not sure if you got water on the usb outlet on the iMac or not or just the peripherals but it doesn't sound in any of this that the iMacs internals got damaged.

Advertisement