Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Well that was sh!te..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The only good part of that show was the clip of Healy slapping Madigan. Don't f**k with the front row pretty boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

Hello;
    Does anybody know who TV3 has lined up to host and analyse on their RWC coverage?
    Will RTE and / or the BBC be carrying highlights of games in the evenings?

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

JF100 wrote: »
    Hello;
    Does anybody know who TV3 has lined up to host and analyse on their RWC coverage?
    Will RTE and / or the BBC be carrying highlights of games in the evenings?

Thanks in advance...
    TV3 have full rights. BBC don't in the UK. ITV have the rights.
    RTE wont be showing any highlights

Keith Wood, Matt Williams, Peter Stringer, Murray Kinsella are just some of the analysts on tv3

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Following on from their piece on searching for the soul of English rugby, The Guardian have another excellent piece today on New Zealand, their rugby heritage and how it is they keep winning.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/sep/11/all-blacks-how-new-zealand-sustains-its-rugby-dynasty

• Advertisement

Following on from their piece on searching for the soul of English rugby, The Guardian have another excellent piece today on New Zealand, their rugby heritage and how it is they keep winning.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/sep/11/all-blacks-how-new-zealand-sustains-its-rugby-dynasty

Also, here's a video from World Rugby properly explaining how they'll be using Hawkeye at the World Cup. It makes a lot more sense now. They're not talking ball tracking at all. More angles and feeds separate from the TV feeds so the TMO and other folk can keep checking things without stopping the play all the time. I'd say that might be how the TMO for the Ireland v England match appeared to be so on the ball for a few of the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Also, here's a video from World Rugby properly explaining how they'll be using Hawkeye at the World Cup. It makes a lot more sense now. They're not talking ball tracking at all. More angles and feeds separate from the TV feeds so the TMO and other folk can keep checking things without stopping the play all the time. I'd say that might be how the TMO for the Ireland v England match appeared to be so on the ball for a few of the decisions.

I'm really surprised they haven't used the opportunity to go for really high resolution cameras, and really high frame rates - the replay of the Barbarians at 2:46 could do with a few extra tween frames (for those awkward TMO moments where a foot has gone in touch at the exact same frame a ball has been grounded) and better zoom resolution. But maybe they weren't using the full tech for that match.

Call me naive, but I thought the TMO's already had all that stuff.

I was expecting, for forward passes, ball tracking technology and player tracking along with relative speeds of both to create some kind of three dimensional representation to 100% determine if the ball travels forward or not. None of this "direction of the hands" lark.

Call me naive, but I thought the TMO's already had all that stuff.

I was expecting, for forward passes, ball tracking technology and player tracking along with relative speeds of both to create some kind of three dimensional representation to 100% determine if the ball travels forward or not. None of this "direction of the hands" lark.

As far as I understand it the TMOs have access to the TV feeds and we're seeing exactly what they're looking at when the ref asks them to check something because they stop the game to check. They'll have access to more than the TV feeds now and will be able to check them on their own whenever they want without having to stop the game or alert the referee. It's probably not all it could be in technology terms but as I pointed out there were two very good decisions from the TMO on Saturday last that he seemed to have made on his own without the ref asking him to check anything. Maybe that's just coincidence though, who knows?

The medical teams having access to the feeds too seems like it could be helpful too. It will be interesting to see if any of them use them to remove players outside of times when play has been stopped for a head injury. It should mean there's no excuse for a team missing a head injury like Wales claimed they did with George North in the 6 Nations.

• Advertisement

Hopefully in a couple of years we'll see an alternative to the TMO with the referees potentially provided with some kind of tablet that could allow them to tap into specific footage themselves. There are already refs starting to watch the video footage themselves on the big screen and then make the decision before the TMO, but I'd like to see it more - the reason I want this is because I think there are a lot of referee-TMO communication mistakes that take place, whether it be because of crowd noise preventing the ref hearing the TMO correctly, a language barrier between the two, or just a simple crossed wires. I can remember pivotal decisions being missed because of this miscommunication.

Edit: incidentally, I'm sure this is why they've been muting the TMO in recent times.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Hopefully in a couple of years we'll see an alternative to the TMO with the referees potentially provided with some kind of tablet that could allow them to tap into specific footage themselves. There are already refs starting to watch the video footage themselves on the big screen and then make the decision before the TMO, but I'd like to see it more - the reason I want this is because I think there are a lot of referee-TMO communication mistakes that take place, whether it be because of crowd noise preventing the ref hearing the TMO correctly, a language barrier between the two, or just a simple crossed wires. I can remember pivotal decisions being missed because of this miscommunication.

Edit: incidentally, I'm sure this is why they've been muting the TMO in recent times.

Nigel had his mind made up quite a few times at the weekend before the TMO came to a decision although I think what may have been happening there was the TMO was looking at something else other than what Nigel had specifically asked for. There's definitely room for improvement anyway.

I'm not usually bothered by the delay myself either, it's just when I see the miscommunication happen, it bothers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Nigel had his mind made up quite a few times at the weekend before the TMO came to a decision although I think what may have been happening there was the TMO was looking at something else other than what Nigel had specifically asked for. There's definitely room for improvement anyway.

in march haskell was binned because the TMO picked up something which Nigel missed. The foot trip.

I think it works well enough and can be improved obviously but as technology allows. My biggest bugbear is the TJ's inconsistency in getting involved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Good news from Radio Times for those of us who have ITV HD.

The televised games for Ireland being screened from the UK will all be shown on ITV and ITV HD only. None of the Irish matches are being shown on ITV4.

All of the matches from the QF upwards to the Final from the UK will also only be shown on ITV and ITV HD only.

I am reading the fixtures from a Radio Times RWC wall chart right now which is included in the latest issue of Radio Times with Daniel Radcliffe on the additional front cover. The original front cover features a four nation rugby ball which includes Ireland. A four sided-fold out poster is included behind that front cover.

All of the fixtures there are listed on the bottom or on the side of the chart. Make sure to get a copy when you can. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Why would it make a difference whether it's ITV1 or ITV4?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This only covers viewers who have TV3 in SD on Saorview who have it combined with Freesat/FTA Satellite combi setup.

Freesat viewers here in the ROI and the UK have ITV HD available for free on Satellite. ITV4 on Freesat is in SD only. Although both ITV HD and ITV4 HD on Sky can be accessed with their HD Pack on a Sky HD box.

ITV4 on UPC has all live sports blocked on it due to rights issues. UPC also blocked out UTV NI and replaced it with UTV Ireland which covers both SD and HD channels. UPC also have gotten TV3 HD on channel number 150 with a HD sub.

So those TV3 viewers are sorted anyway.

Basically anything on ITV 4 won't be available in Ireland because TV3 have the rights in Ireland but you'll be able to watch it on TV3 anyway so it doesn't really matter in the long run. Unless you're so adverse to the TV3 coverage that you just can't bring yourself to watch it.

• Advertisement

Here's England's official song.

I'm going to go watch the New Zealand one a few more times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Guys who is commentating for TV3, i know Conor McNamara is but who else.

Dave McIntyre? some sky lads like, Mark Robson ? the really dull lads on Setanta?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lbj666 wrote: »
    Guys who is commentating for TV3, i know Conor McNamara is but who else.

Dave McIntyre? some sky lads like, Mark Robson ? the really dull lads on Setanta?

Woods , Jennings and Stringer along with a few others

Matt Cooper is the host
    http://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/tv3-unveil-their-panel-for-this-years-rugby-world-cup-31024399.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Stheno wrote: »
    Woods , Quinlan and Stringer along with a few others

Matt Cooper is the host

I mean the lead commentators , not pundits presenters etc.

TV 3 have 7 games next weekend. McNamara can't do all of them.

Edit: Ok i see Dave McIntyre will be doing France Italy next week anyway.

I'd a funny one last night oh and I are going for a six day stay in Malta during the world cup.

I said to him that the wc was starting next week, and he asked if I knew where showed rugby in Malta

When I told him I'd booked our holiday to make sure we would be home for all the Ireland games he rolled around the place laughing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Some posts moved to General Rugby Discussion thread folks, just trying to keep this one for RWC buildup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd a funny one last night oh and I are going for a six day stay in Malta during the world cup.

I said to him that the wc was starting next week, and he asked if I knew where showed rugby in Malta

When I told him I'd booked our holiday to make sure we would be home for all the Ireland games he rolled around the place laughing

Where in Malta are you staying? If you want to catch any games, Corks in St Julian's will have them on.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Where in Malta are you staying? If you want to catch any games, Corks in St Julian's will have them on.

Aliens literally down the road from st. Juliana :)

Is corks the place near McDonald's or am I thinking of the Dubliner?

Here's England's official song.

I'm going to go watch the New Zealand one a few more times.

It amazes me every day to see how wrong I am about things sometimes.

For example, I thought it was impossible to be a million miles up your own arse until I saw this video but now I know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

do Ireland have a world cup anthem, anyone else think the buildup is underwhelmimg

Advertisement