Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beretta 686e Sporter

Options
  • 25-05-2015 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I'm just curious as to what ye think of this gun. I've shot one at a round of clays, felt like a nice gun to shoot and the recoil was a lot better than my own gun. I'm thinking of buying one and I'd just like to hear the opinions of others.
    My only bad point with the gun is the weight of it, its a bit heavy for the amount of game shooting I do but I guess I'll just have to work out more :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Kiltris wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to what ye think of this gun. I've shot one at a round of clays, felt like a nice gun to shoot and the recoil was a lot better than my own gun. I'm thinking of buying one and I'd just like to hear the opinions of others.
    My only bad point with the gun is the weight of it, its a bit heavy for the amount of game shooting I do but I guess I'll just have to work out more :)

I
    Have one way too heavy for game shooting, after a few hours I can bearly lift it to shoot, I'm looking for a nice SxS for game and keep the 686 for clays

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

have one used it for game shooting for years as i dont shoot game anymore it is only used for pigeon shooting.
    the gun is a bit on the side, if i have to walk a distance to decoy pigeons i bring my 20 bore gun and shells a
    lot lighter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The clue is in the name.

As a sporter it's not specifically designed for game. It's between 1 - 1.5 (even 2 pounds) heavier than your standard game gun. It's for this reason it's better at recoil management than a game gun. Much like you wouldn't shoot too many clays with a game gun.

I've had a few over the years and currently have the 686e Gold Sporter in the press. I use it for clays and game. The weight does not bother me at all. Well used to it. The question you need to ask yourself us what will be it's primary use. Clays or game. Even if it's for both think of what you'll use it for the most. If it's clays then go for it and you'll learn to deal with the weight when out for game. If it's mostly game with the occasionally dose of clays then look for something more suited to game. Silver pigeon, etc. With average weights of 6.5lb they are, as said above, over a pound to pound & a half lighter.

As for the gun itself. For build quality, handling, performance, etc they cannot be beaten. Mine has the adjustable cheek piece, but it's not essential. An all round quality gun .
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Ya I didn't really consider the extra weight to be a huge down fall, more of an observation. I will definitely be out at game for a full day per week, sometimes a day and half when work allows. However in the summer months we would go at clay's definitely one evening a week and would also spend a good few days at pigeons so I felt that the 686e sporter was a good balance for ticking all the boxes.

if the weight is not a problem and you are doing a lot of pigeon shooting go for it, the 686e wont let you down.

• Advertisement

Deposit paid!!!! Can't weight to get the licence transferred. How long are transfers taking does anyone know?

The law says 14 days. It's best to allow 14 working days, so essentially 3 weeks.

Make sure you tick substitution on the FCA1. You'd be surprised at the amount of lads that tick "Firearm Certificate" and wonder why their application is taking months and then they get the €80 grant letter.

When the sub goes through you'll receive a new license in the post, not a grant letter. Check the details are correct and the amount of ammo is the same as the last license.

For a sub. you need to:
    • Section 1 - Tick substitution, and "I have not held a cert............".
    • Section 2 - All of it.
    • Section 2.4 - All of it.
    • Section 3.1 - Input the details of new gun here.
    • Section 3.3 - Input dealers details.
    • Section 3.4 - Input your current firearm details here.
    • Section 3.5 - All of it.
    • Section 4.1 - All of it.
    • Section 4.2 - All of it.
    • Section 4.3 - If a member of a club/range.
    • Section 5.1 - Tick box.
    • Sign and date it.

It's also an idea to put in referees/photo, etc. Even though some details are not needed i've noticed a trend of Supers refusing applications for not having all the details even though they are not required for a sub. However ask yourself which is easier:
    1. Fight your point and refuse to give the details and end up waiting.
    2. Just give it to them and get the application done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Done & done cass. I've the photo's etc all in the envelope just ready to drop it in to the local station in the morning. I don't want anything to delay this. Do you not normally have to put in pics and referees for a sub?!

No.

You don't need pictures, referees, permissions, memberships, etc, etc. You already have the license you are merely transferring that authorisation from your current firearm to the new one.

When i was doing subs i'd give a little more each time even though i did not have to. To save delaying the sub. However as the last sub took 13 weeks, and the "lady" dealing with it got snotty on the phone i changed tactics. I submitted my last sub, with nly the necessary details, a signed receipt from my FO (different to the lady processing them), and a copy of the law/guidelines that says a sub MUST be done within 14 days. I told her i'd be ringing on the 15 day ( not working day, but day as the law does not stipulate working days) and i'd ring every 4 hours until my sub was processed. I also made mention of the fact that if she wanted to go "by the book" that i too would hold her to the same high standard she demand of me.

I had my sub license within 9 days.

Now that sounds great, but honestly it's a route i never like taking but sometimes your hand is forced.

as cass said you dont need a photo but having said that my mates sub has sent back because he did not send
    in a photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

I just upgraded last week,substitute licence took 2 1/2 weeks from handing in paperwork to being delivered if this helps op.

I went in with the paperwork yesterday evening and just for the sh#ts and the giggles I said I'd ask him how long did he think it would take...."Ammm, I'd say you'll be looking at a month or more lad"!! So I promptly told him that it should take no more than a max of 3wks, I asked him could he please ensure that the paperwork made it's way to the relevant Garda as fast as possible. Nothing to do now only sit back and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Oh,

BTW, sorry for letting the thread go off topic everyone :)

Kiltris,

Good luck with the new 686E by the way, nice choice.

Out of interst, what other guns did you look at, before selecting this one. Did you look at the likes of the GP Sporter for example ?

Thanks,

G.

Yeah me too. So i've split the other posts out into their own thread so as not to disrupt this one further. New thread here.

garrettod wrote: »
    Oh,

BTW, sorry for letting the thread go off topic everyone :)

Kiltris,

Good luck with the new 686E by the way, nice choice.

Out of interst, what other guns did you look at, before selecting this one. Did you look at the likes of the GP Sporter for example ?

To be honest I didn't look at much else. I was interested in a Browning B525 or the 686e. I also considered buying a semi auto for awhile but I don't like to carry the semi out when out game shooting, my preference was the o/u so I just went went the Beretta, the price was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Have to agree with you on the semi-auto or a pump, not really what you want to be carrying when trying to get through a ditch, for example.

Thanks,

G.

I got the licence back in the post yesterday! I need to extend the stock a little, about 40-50mm. God blessed me with long arms, any recommendations?

you can get spacers that go in behind the recoil pad on ebay, or get a thicker recoil pad

Would they all be a standard size then? If I was to do a DIY job would they be an easy fit? I don't want to f#*k up the gun!

dont know if they are standard or not, you will probably have to sand them to the shape of your stock. if it a big
    piece you want i would go to a stock maker and get a piece put in.

• Advertisement

Just an update, I brought the gun the Gerry Guerin in Knocklofty, he's a real gentleman & I can't wait to see what he does with it. I'll post a pic when I collect it!

Advertisement