Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the catalyst for a FF push on Michael Martin [inc. Averil Power Thread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Not matter what your politics are you have to admire Averil Power for adhering to her beliefs . She always impressed me as a very committed ,capable and courageous individual and will no doubt make a big impression in whatever walk of life she chooses next. People like her are needed in public life and I hope she decides to run in Dublin Bay North in the next election.

20 Years on the Haughey dynasty still casts its shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

She is a very principled politician, I find they don't get very far in conventional politics though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

gandalf wrote: »
    With the resignation of Averil Power will the knives be truly out to get Michael Martin. There's been a lot of grumbling from the fringes of FF but no action but with the loss of one of their "bright up and coming" stars will certain characters could be jolted into action.

It could be an interesting and very uncomfortable few days for Mr. Martin.

http://www.thejournal.ie/averil-power-resigns-2123330-May2015/

I'd read it slightly differently. She was expecting Bobby Aylward to come second in Carlow Kilkenny, thus resulting in a call on Martin to resign. But Aylward won so she had to make alternative arrangements. At a guess, if Martin's leadership was at risk Power would still be in the party, but he's done enought to cling on, so she's cut loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Dublin City to Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A very committed representative and an all round great oerson to talk to, have had the pleasure of chatting to her on a few occasions , she will be sadly missed and hopefully she finds a spot in a more right thinking party where her skills can be used to full advantage

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Why don't ff/fg just amalgamate.

When they are in power they are identical twins. They are one party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd read it slightly differently. She was expecting Bobby Aylward to come second in Carlow Kilkenny, thus resulting in a call on Martin to resign. But Aylward won so she had to make alternative arrangements. At a guess, if Martin's leadership was at risk Power would still be in the party, but he's done enought to cling on, so she's cut loose.

I would say she was gone either way. FF's support (and blatant objection by most) was abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

efb wrote: »
    She is a very principled politician, I find they don't get very far in conventional politics though.

Either that, or that its 4-10 months before the next GE & Avril wants to be elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Never really took to her and I will admit it’s a lot to do with her voice but you cant but admire the fashion in which she left today.

It was like a Dave Chappelle ‘Keeping it real’ sketch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

kidneyfan wrote: »
    She won't go for Renua; Lucinda Creighton attacked Averil Power in a pamphlet because Power would not support a woman's right to choose.

Renua are too right wight on the economy for Averil.

• Advertisement

Sean who?

Sean Haughey.

blinding wrote: »
    Why don't ff/fg just amalgamate.

When they are in power they are identical twins. They are one party.

I think we'll see an FG/fF coalition next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

raymon wrote: »
    In my opinion the little Haughey has been dishonestly trying to hoodwink his constituents into believing FF is anti Irish Water. He calls it a quango, but fails to mention that the creation of a company called "Irish Water" was agreed initially with the Troika with Fianna Fail in their memo of understanding (2010)

Haughey (2014):
    "A new super quango called Irish Water has been established to take over responsibility from the Local Authorities for the provision of water supply."

Fianna Fail (2010)
    "The Government will publish the General Scheme of a Water Services Bill with the aim of defining the regulatory framework for the water sector under a national public utility setting and providing for the establishment of Irish Water in its final form. There will be prior engagement with the European Commission as appropriate, in developing the legislative arrangements. "

He calls himself "honest and decent" . I'm expecting more dishonesty from this one

If FF had retained power in 2011 they would have been cute enough to see the hassle IW was going to create, unlike the present government, and dropped it.
    Much the same as the present government droping the understanding with the trioka regarding certain professions fees that would have caused problems with some of their more well heeled supporters.
    I doubt FF will be backing the present set up of IW come the next general election somehow. Wasn`t there a proposal passed at their Ard Fheis to abolish IW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Sean Haughey.
    Im glad you could say it and hadn't forgotten his surname.

Im glad you could say it and hadn't forgotten his surname.

Ahh Sean is a decent skin. Allways was. :)

have you all lost your minds Averil Power saw the corruption in FF joined and stayed as it pumped and dumped the country and you praise her? poliiticians need to have good judgement across a range of issues, Power clearly doesn't have that.

have you all lost your minds Averil Power saw the corruption in FF joined and stayed as it pumped and dumped the country and you praise her? poliiticians need to have good judgement across a range of issues, Power cleary doesn't have that.

Averil is pretty much a one trick Social Issues' pony alright.

Used FF to get her place in the Senate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

she was also a policy advisor to Mary Hanafin, she's no better than any of the old guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

subpar wrote: »
    Not matter what your politics are you have to admire Averil Power for adhering to her beliefs . She always impressed me as a very committed ,capable and courageous individual and will no doubt make a big impression in whatever walk of life she chooses next. People like her are needed in public life and I hope she decides to run in Dublin Bay North in the next election.

Averil, is that you?:D

Averil is pretty much a one trick Social Issues' pony alright.

Used FF to get her place in the Senate.

she's Fianna Fail's John McNulty, wasting one of their seanad seats.

• Advertisement

subpar wrote: »

are we supposed to be conned over by a fight between FF Haughey and, up until today, FF power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

You would have to believe Martin on this, she was not going to get it her own way and walked.
    Is she a loss, we will see at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You would have to believe Martin on this, she was not going to get it her own way and walked.
    Is she a loss, we will see at the next election.

Yeah, I was under the impression that Sean Haughey was going to get that ticket. It's a blow for FF and MM after winning that by-election last weekend. I have a feeling that she might join Renua.

Berserker wrote: »
    Yeah, I was under the impression that Sean Haughey was going to get that ticket. It's a blow for FF and MM after winning that by-election last weekend. I have a feeling that she might join Renua.
    First off Lucinda is avidly Pro Life and Renua is savagely Right wing on economics. Not on Averil's compass.

She's nailed on to join Labour or possibly SF if they give her a cushy constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Genuinely curious why on earth people think she would want to join Renua?

On all the social issues which Averil has made her name (especially the one from the weekend just past), Renua are completely opposite. Doesn't even strike me as being even vaguely a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

MJohnston wrote: »

On all the social issues which Averil has made her name (especially the one from the weekend just past), Renua are completely opposite. Doesn't even strike me as being even vaguely a match.

Fairly sure I read before that herself and Lucinda have previous going back to their time in Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She looks well shook on Claire Byrne, must have had the full backlash of a vengeful FF all day. Well shook indeed

Larbre34 wrote: »
    She looks well shook on Claire Byrne, must have had the full backlash of a vengeful FF all day. Well shook indeed

Sh*t, I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sh*t, I missed it.

RTE1 +1 or RTE player shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

MJohnston wrote: »

She's perfect for what Ireland needs, a economically center - socially liberal party. Unfortunately such a thing does not exist in Irish politics. If you want social progress you need to vote left.

Advertisement