Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the catalyst for a FF push on Michael Martin [inc. Averil Power Thread]

Options
  • 25-05-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

With the resignation of Averil Power will the knives be truly out to get Michael Martin. There's been a lot of grumbling from the fringes of FF but no action but with the loss of one of their "bright up and coming" stars will certain characters could be jolted into action.

It could be an interesting and very uncomfortable few days for Mr. Martin.

http://www.thejournal.ie/averil-power-resigns-2123330-May2015/

MOD: Edited to include the other Averil Power thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes he'll be shifting nervously for sure. She was pretty scathing in her remarks about the party, and Martin too. I'd say he'll be gone.

I wonder what Power will do now – are there any parties that would make a natural home for her? Would be a bit of a shame to see her wasted as an independent, she's obviously very competent. But I'm sure if she became a minister, she'd quickly lose her popularity among the electorate when she can't achieve everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She'll be in Sinn Féin by sundown, a natural fit.

Just when Micheál thought he might have a window of calm waters too! Although any party that sees old stagers like Bobby Aylward as the way forward when dynamic younger folk like Averil are leaving is in deep trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

poor MM - can't catch a break , can he?

he better polish up his smoking ban plaque at home - it'll be the only thing he'll be remembered for.

FF going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Larbre34 wrote: »

I'd be surprised if she does, I'd say there's a bigger chance her been unveiled by Renua myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Looks bad for MM to lose a spokesperson, even if its a senetor.

Power obviously is just looking at another Dáil run next year.... Either as an indie or SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

She's married to fionnan Sheehan of the Sunday independent, say no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ya think CF2RsgxWgAEeapA.jpg

gandalf wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if she does, I'd say there's a bigger chance her been unveiled by Renua myself.

No chance in my opinion, too conservative. Look at Averil's background and record. She'd be a shoo-in for a Dublin based seat for SF, not nearly so with Renua.

ya think

Would hardly be unprecedented though, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was posting on twitter for months, asking why is Averil Power in FF when she is out of line with FF voters as is Micheal Martin.

I think MM needs to go, his views are too liberal for FF and he can't get the party to follow them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

crusier wrote: »
    She's married to fionnan Sheehan of the Sunday independent, say no more!

No she is not!! He is married to an FG TD. Can't remember who.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

No, Power is indeed married to Fionan Sheehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

What a bizarre thing to say

Would hardly be unprecedented though, would it?

she was accusing them of still being involved in crime https://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/keep-sinn-fein-out-vote-power-no-1-averil-power-fianna-fail-dublin-north-east/#more-15077

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

MJohnston wrote: »
    What a bizarre thing to say

Please accept my apologies I am 100% wrong.

As a Fianna Fáiler, it hardly put her on the moral high ground, SF wont be much of a departure for her if it comes to that.

As a Fianna Fáiler, it hardly put her on the moral high ground, SF wont be much of a departure for her if it comes to that.

ah but there a difference between state backed crime and crime without authorisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So if there is a push who is going to be the ring leader? O'Cuiv? Michael McGrath? or AN Other?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Averil is Labour in waiting. By September, Ivana will be welcoming her onto the Labour benches of the Senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

She was not going to be selected for FF ....Haughey was going to be the choice. That was the hard reality facing her.

She is right that Martin is a terrible leader and that FF have no policies and is not fit for government. However she knew this already , and she didnt act and would not have unless she saw the selection failure ahead.

Still - it is great news . I wish her luck as an Independent.

• Advertisement

Averil is Labour in waiting. By September, Ivana will be welcoming her onto the Labour benches of the Senate.

with Aodhain O'Riordain, Sean Kenny and Jane Horgan, Jones, Brian Mc Donagh and Alison Gilliland already there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

I would love to see Sean back in the Dáil. A real gentleman who puts his constituents first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

She won't go for Renua; Lucinda Creighton attacked Averil Power in a pamphlet because Power would not support a woman's right to choose.

I would love to see Sean back in the Dáil. A real gentleman who puts his constituents first.
    Sean who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

As a TD he should be putting the country first before his constituents.

t's one of the biggest problems in Irish politics, one of the reasons why a partial list system wouldn't go astray here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, this could be a tough one for FF less than a year out from a general election. They have very few people who have made a name for themselves on the public stage and aren't associated with the same party who destroyed the economy. Averil was making good waves for them - socially progressive, young and popular, with no link to the past.

Stick with MM through to the election and you risk having a wet fish there who makes no impact. Bring in old heads like like Willie O'Dea and you could make things worse.
    Maybe they'll look to a popular outsider, one of their councillors perhaps, to bring a "new blood, new party" feel to FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

More to do with Sean Haughey than MM imo. If Haughey is running, she knows her chances of winning a seat for FF are slim.
    Wasn`t she the FF spokesperson on education and skills ?
    I cannot remember her having any great input if she was tbh.
    She`ll do the sulking "poor me" act and run as an independent, and if she doesn`t get the seat, be happy that she took votes of Haughey and stopped him getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

gandalf wrote: »
    will the knives be truly out to get Michael Martin.

Who else have they got, that could keep the likes of Power on side?

The rest of the party won't even follow Martin's half-hearted gestures on abortion or same sex marriage, they are even worse than Martin from Power's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

In my opinion the little Haughey has been dishonestly trying to hoodwink his constituents into believing FF is anti Irish Water. He calls it a quango, but fails to mention that the creation of a company called "Irish Water" was agreed initially with the Troika with Fianna Fail in their memo of understanding (2010)

Haughey (2014):
    "A new super quango called Irish Water has been established to take over responsibility from the Local Authorities for the provision of water supply."

Fianna Fail (2010)
    "The Government will publish the General Scheme of a Water Services Bill with the aim of defining the regulatory framework for the water sector under a national public utility setting and providing for the establishment of Irish Water in its final form. There will be prior engagement with the European Commission as appropriate, in developing the legislative arrangements. "

He calls himself "honest and decent" . I'm expecting more dishonesty from this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Red Kev wrote: »
    As a TD he should be putting the country first before his constituents.

t's one of the biggest problems in Irish politics, one of the reasons why a partial list system wouldn't go astray here.

With the four in the Economic Management Council making all the decisions on how the country is run, there doesn`t appear much else for the rest of them to do other than look after their constituents.
    Nothing much else for any backbenchers to do in any government.

Advertisement