Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill O'Herlihy - RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

An ever-present giant in Irish sports broadcasting. Most of us grew up with him as a fixture and a staple.

Seemed like a genuinely lovely man and it's sad that he passed so soon when he should have been enjoying a long and well-earned retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh jeeze, a guy who left an indelible mark on not only sports fans, but a lot of Irish people who sat through some great memorable days in 88, 90, 94 and 2002.

That's two nice guys who were always professional and made watching RTE enjoyable sadly gone within a week or so.

Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

A sad day, RIP bill you will be missed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wow just heard it here. RIP Bill.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

He was only talking on Redfm in Cork last week.

Listen here.
    http://www.redfm.ie/podcasts/neil-prendeville-show-podcast/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Loved Bill and im not even a soccer fan and only used to watch cos my brother would be watching matches on TV and the analysis was always so funny - great banter! He never failed to get a rise out of Dunphy anyway! A great Cork man Bill, you will be missed. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

They were saying on the radio that he got a heart attack in 1984 he got a good run since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Weird that yesterday i used okiedoke in a post. Don't think he ever said it sarcastically though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Usually these celebrity 'RIP' fests wouldn't cause me to bat an eyelid, but Im really sad to hear of Bill's passing. The RTE panel was a huge component of the enjoyment of soccer for so many armchair supporters and Bill was the main reason for that. He was so brilliant at playing the part of the fan asking the questions. He always knew the angle to come at any topic which would result in the best possible television debate. You couldnt ask for a better umpire for a bout between Dunphy, Giles and Brady! The panel has never been the same since he left, just a shadow of itself really.

Such a pity he didnt get a good long stint of retirement to enjoy with his wife and family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

He was at the awards ceremony last night- so active to the end- so sad. RIP Bill and condolences to his family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Was filmed at the tv adwards last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Came across a very nice man that use to love to pull the strings in getting a reaction from Dunphy & co.

R.I.P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

John Giles is on with Matt Cooper, Cooper said 'he knew more about football then he let on' Gilesy replied 'Ah I wouldn't say that now' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just read this piece by Roddy Doyle. Thought it was nice.

-See Bill O’Herlihy died.
    -I can’t believe it.
    -I know – . Same here.
    -I can’t - . He was brilliant.
    -The best – him and the other lads. The best thing on telly.
    -He was one o’ those people - . Did yeh ever meet him?
    -No, but I know wha’ yeh mean. It was like we knew him.
    -An’ liked him.
    -Loved him.
    -He took the football seriously.
    -Like politics.
    -Exactly. He took us seriously.
    -He’d have the lads riled up an’ you’d flick across to ITV an’ there’d be
    ads, and yeh’d flick back to Bill an’ the lads would still be shoutin’ –
    an’ yeh’d flick to BBC an’ they’d be analysin’ Thierry Henry’s ****in’
    cardigan. An’ back to RTE an’ Bill an’ the lads would still be talkin’
    abou’ football.
    -No ****e or fashion statements.
    -Except Bill’s ties.
    -D’yeh know what it is - ? He made me happy.
    -Yep.
    -After watchin’ him. I might be shoutin’ at the telly. But I was always
    happy.
    -You can’t say more abou’ the man, really, can yeh? He made us happy.
    -Okey doke.
    -Good night an’ God bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Very sad. For me he was Irish football. Especially around World Cups. R.I.P, Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was stunned and saddened to hear of Billo's death today. The Football coverage on RTE was never going to be the same again even since he retired last summer.

I am going to miss this fella so much while he analyses the beautiful game in his own spirit. RIP Bill ya legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

John Giles is on with Matt Cooper, Cooper said 'he knew more about football then he let on' Gilesy replied 'Ah I wouldn't say that now' :pac:

Gilesy was the pro as always honest and witty. I'm always surprised how close colleagues & friends can keep it together speaking publicly so soon after the bad news. I'd be a blubbering mess !

Bill - you got great banter out of the lads on the panel but also got my Dad riled up which led to some lengthy father daughter debates in my house over the years.

Thank you & RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"Bill O'Herlihy has a unique thing that will always be there for his children and grandchildren. Bill O'Herlihy led our greatest days.

They might not have been the most important days but [they were] our greatest days. The days of Olympics medals, World Cups. They all seem to be sunny days. The whole country would stop and join together, and they would hope together, be scared together, share excitement together and disappointment.

And sometimes we had that golden unforgettable joy of victory that we all shared together. Bill O'Herlihy led the whole country in that. Bill led us on those days that we will always remember. Always."

Des Cahill eloquently summed up how I feel. RIP Bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Right in the fucking childhood :(

RIP Bill

• He was at the awards ceremony last night- so active to the end- so sad. RIP Bill and condolences to his family.

That's what shook me up the most, he looked grand from the clips of the ceromony last night. I was wondering did he just fall ill during the event or what :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Don't follow football, but he was a familiar face at home on our tv. Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

He was very fresh looking for 76 all the same so t'is bit of a shock. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    he looked grand from the clips of the ceromony last night. I was wondering did he just fall ill during the event or what :(

i don't think so, to me he didn't look well at all

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

So gutted to hear this. I grew up watching him on the tv, as well as the entertainment he brought he seemed like an absolute gent. RIP Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

RIP Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

He was some tulip!
    RIP very sad news, he'll be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

Been sad all day after hearing of Bill's death. Thinking of those happy moments he gave us; so sad he's gone.

A model example on how to be a great person, sharing your passions, giving it a lash, making the most of who we are and what we have on this little green island of ours.

I wish we didn't have to leave it there so...

Advertisement