Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th Amendment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

Can you please try to flesh this out?

Can you answer the direct question?
    Has been answered already.
    TLDR: Not worthless, but here we go:

Mother's positive state of mood =/= child's right to exist
    Mother's right to exist (excluding killing herself because that's her own choice) = child's right to exist

If you kill your own child (born or unborn) then you are the lowest form of low unmentionable scum

Infanticide is not being discussed here, please don't attempt to conflate the two.

The remainder of your post has told me to step away from engaging.

traprunner wrote: »
    So it's wrong to correct the use of language?
    You've lost me now.

This is so unrelated to the topic at hand.

Has been answered already.
    TLDR: Not worthless, but here we go:

Mother's positive state of mood =/= child's right to exist
    Mother's right to exist (excluding killing herself because that's her own choice) = child's right to exist

I did not ask about any of this. Please attempt to answer the direct question.
    The woman has history, has family, has friends, has experiences, has stories, has impact.

This is all worthless?

Infanticide is not being discussed here, please don't attempt to conflate the two.

The remainder of your post has told me to step away from engaging.
    Didn't realise you were a moderator?

• Advertisement

I did not ask about any of this. Please attempt to answer the direct question.
    I have answered it twice now.
    Are you deficient or do I need to spell it phonetically for you?

• Moderators Posts: 51,751 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Yes.
    If they do it here on Irish soil (as mentioned by the other poster) then yes they should.
    irrespective of what age they are when they take the pill?

if a 16 year takes the pill, you support a 14 prison term for that?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If you kill your own child (born or unborn) then you are the lowest form of low unmentionable scum

Would you force a 14 year old rape victim to carry a child to full term and make her give birth?

SW wrote: »
    irrespective of what age they are when they take the pill?

if a 16 year takes the pill, you support a 14 prison term for that?

I support the taker of the pill to be tried in whatever the appropriate legal system is, within the jurisdiction of the applicable law.
    So, if it's prescribed that a 16 year old can be tried as an adult then yes I do support that. Similar to how I would support jail term for a 16 year old tried and convicted of murder.

Would you force a 14 year old rape victim to carry a child to full term and make her give birth?
    It's not the unborn child's fault is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's not the rape victim's fault either.

And it's not a child. It's a foetus.

That wasn't what I asked.

Would you force a 14 year old rape victim to carry her child to full term and make her give birth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Dodging direct questions again.

I support the taker of the pill to be tried in whatever the appropriate legal system is, within the jurisdiction of the applicable law.
    So, if it's prescribed that a 16 year old can be tried as an adult then yes I do support that. Similar to how I would support jail term for a 16 year old tried and convicted of murder.

Do you not think 14 years is somewhat excessive?

If she was raped, her rapist would only serve 7!

It's not the rape victim's fault either.

And it's not a child. It's a foetus.

Well done. Now, for one green apple and a night with no homework, what does a fetus develop into?
    That wasn't what I asked.

Would you force a 14 year old rape victim to carry her child to full term and make her give birth?

Dodging direct questions again.

Didn't realise it wasn't crystal clear from my post.
    Apologies, you don't seem to get the highest literary minds around here, it seems.

Dumbed down version:
    Of course the rape victim needs to carry the child to term. That's why I replied with "it's not the childs fault".

Well done. Now, for one green apple and a night with no homework, what does a fetus develop into?

Didn't realise it wasn't crystal clear from my post.
    Apologies, you don't seem to get the highest literary minds around here, it seems.

Dumbed down version:
    Of course the rape victim needs to carry the child to term. That's why I replied with "it's not the childs fault".

So you would rather force a child to carry her rapists foetus to full term, scarring her both mentally and physically for life? And then you claim you are trying to protect life? You obviously have no daughters of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Shame. Shame. Shame. *rings bell* Shame. Shame. Shame. *rings bell*

So you would rather force a child to carry her rapists foetus to full term, scarring her both mentally and physically for life? And then you claim you are trying to protect life? You obviously have no daughters of your own.

My children's genders don't come into this.
    I am trying to protect life. Mental and physical scars heal. Death does not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Please be civil
    You've lost me now.

This is so unrelated to the topic at hand.
    Didn't realise you were a moderator?

If you believe someone is backseat moderating, please report it rather than saying so on thread.
    I have answered it twice now.
    Are you deficient or do I need to spell it phonetically for you?

Please refrain from personal abuse. You've been banned for comments on this forum already, so please remain civil at all times.

My children's genders don't come into this.

Why are they called scars then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Shame. Shame. Shame. *rings bell* Shame. Shame. Shame. *rings bell*

Please note that this is not the Politics Cafe and a greater degree of engagement with the topic is required.

Please be civil

If you believe someone is backseat moderating, please report it rather than saying so on thread.

Please refrain from personal abuse. You've been banned for comments on this forum already, so please remain civil at all times.
    Duly noted, would like to see similar comments handed to those on the other side making similar remarks ?
    Why are they called scars then?
    They heal.
    Which is worse, killing your fetus/child or a few scar marks?

Duly noted, would like to see similar comments handed to those on the other side making similar remarks ?

They heal.

A scar is permanent. I'd like to see your evidence that every child that becomes pregnant through rape comes out of the whole thing happy as Larry.

Which is worse? Putting a child through that is worse.

A scar is permanent. I'd like to see your evidence that every child that becomes pregnant through rape comes out of the whole thing happy as Larry.

Which is worse? Putting a child through that is worse.

Where is the evidence that being a child of a rape victim affects the child?
    Obviously it will affect the woman. But being raped affects the woman and also aborting the baby would affect the woman, she'd have to deal with that in her conscience for the rest of her life.

Which is worse? Surely a chance at life is better than no chance at all?

Where is the evidence that being a child of a rape victim affects the child?
    Obviously it will affect the woman. But being raped affects the woman and also aborting the baby would affect the woman, she'd have to deal with that in her conscience for the rest of her life.

Which is worse? Surely a chance at life is better than no chance at all?

You were the one that made the outrageous statement so it's up to you to back it up not for me to prove otherwise.

A child that can try to forget that she was raped is the better option. Not having a constant reminder would obviously be of benefit to her mental healing.

You were the one that made the outrageous statement so it's up to you to back it up not for me to prove otherwise.
    No, I never said anything about the child's state of mind being a rape victim child? You did.
    A child that can try to forget that she was raped is the better option. Not having a constant reminder would obviously be of benefit to her mental healing.

But she will always be a rape victim.
    Who's to say a child wouldn't be a silver lining to a grey cloud.

Should that not be left up to the woman to figure out for herself?

No, I never said anything about the child's state of mind being a rape victim child? You did.

I referenced to the following post made by you:

Then you said:
    They heal.

So please provide the evidence that the scars both emotion and physical heal.

I'd say it's the blackest kind of cloud, not grey!

I referenced to the following post made by you:

Then you said:

So please provide the evidence that the scars both emotion and physical heal.

I'd say it's the blackest kind of cloud, not grey!

If you read the whole post in the context you will see that it was a point made that, compared to death, scars are not as severe.
    SW wrote: »
    Should that not be left up to the woman to figure out for herself?

Not when the alternative is ending the life of her unborn child. No.
    It is up to her whether to keep the child or send it for adoption but she should not have the option of killing it.

Seems like I'm fighting a lone battle here against depravity. Where's black menorca! lol

• Advertisement

If you read the whole post in the context you will see that it was a point made that, compared to death, scars are not as severe.

Not when the alternative is ending the life of her unborn child. No.
    It is up to her whether to keep the child or send it for adoption but she should not have the option of killing it.

Seems like I'm fighting a lone battle here against depravity. Where's black menorca! lol

A bunch of cells a few weeks old is not a child, the depravity is when a few would FORCE a rape victim to carry that bunch of cells until it is fully formed into a child and then FORCE that victim into giving birth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement