Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Voter - Can we keep her for the general election?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 3:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

The marriage referendum has brought out tens of thousands of new voters from the woodwork.

This has to be celebrated, well at least I celebrate it as a No voter.

Its wonderful to see genuine engagement in political affairs.

The challenge now is how can we keep their attention as we approach the General election next year?

Harnessing this mass of new energy could revolutionise the way we do politics.

Or, will they disappear again and turn their back on their civic duty?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod: Moved from Main Politics forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I doubt it.

With the GE Im in a situation of trying to pick the person I dislike the least, I doubt Im alone. Theres no drive to achieve something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Why is this new voter a female? There goes the equality in day 1 :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Why is this new voter a female? There goes the equality in day 1 :).

I think you'll find far more females came out to vote first time round yesterday than lads. But I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

A normal election isn't as cool. Normal service will resume now that this is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Referendums tend to give people a say in how things are done in Ireland. General elections simply don't. Until the Dail is actually meaningful its going to be hard to motivate people to vote for it.

Sand wrote: »
    Referendums tend to give people a say in how things are done in Ireland. General elections simply don't. Until the Dail is actually meaningful its going to be hard to motivate people to vote for it.

That is a common misconception.

Voting in a GE has far more consequence for peoples' lives than a single issue referendum.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

That is a common misconception.

Voting in a GE has far more consequence for peoples' lives than a single issue referendum.

I suppose the perception is that in a general election their vote doesnt count, that the established parties dont speak for them etc but that they can actually make a real difference and be heard in a referendum.

So while you are right that the general election has more effect on peoples lives, they just dont feel as engaged in a GE as they do in a referendum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

But isn't this an opportunity to engage with at least a cohort of these voters?

Educate them in the mechanics of the democratic process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sadly I'd tend to class most of the candidates in a GE and their parties as unworthy of my vote, hence rather than picking the best of a bad bunch I'd spoil my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I doubt it. Voting for most TDs is fairly pointless, as most have absolutely no power, including most of the ones in government.

But your everyday life is directly affected by the votes cast in every GE.

Your vote goes toward forming an administration that sets policies on economic and social issues.

Why would you go out of your way to deny yourself your say in that formation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The challenge now is how can we keep their attention as we approach the General election next year?

Harnessing this mass of new energy could revolutionise the way we do politics.

Or, will they disappear again and turn their back on their civic duty?

We probably have to look at the language used by those of us coming from a different perspective. I doubt if many of the new voters see voting in the way I do as a 'civic duty', a right and a privilege. If you want to get their attention the first thing is to ditch the idea of 'duty' and perhaps try to have an idea of 'participation'.

The phenomenon of mass participation of young people, and of those from less affluent areas where there is usually a low turnout, was first seen in the Scottish independence referendum and did carry on to increased turnout in the GE. Without the SNP, it will be more difficult to keep the interest here but anti-austerity and protest candidates will have an impact.
    What both cases showed was that when people can see the direct affect of their vote on something that matters to them and where the result is expected to be fairly close with each vote important then they will respond. A GE will decide who runs the country for the next 5 years. If we were asked that question instead of being asked to choose between individuals in our area there might be more engagement. That of course requires massive electoral reform (some sort of list system. In the meantime there must be ideas out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

If there's any lessons to be learned from this campaign it's that once people see a chance to influence meaningful change they engage with politics.
    Once we get back to party politics, political whips, cronyism, tribalism and all of the other things that we see in the usual elections; then they turn away. The onus is on the political parties themselves to change how things are done in this country and re-engage with people, allow people to really influence the big decisions. A bit like asking turkeys to vote for christmas then.

But isn't this an opportunity to engage with at least a cohort of these voters?

Educate them in the mechanics of the democratic process?

Again I would suggest that you aren't speaking their language. They don't want to be 'educated' in a process that they consider outmoded. They are all for democracy but NOT the way party politics sees it.

But your everyday life is directly affected by the votes cast in every GE.

Your vote goes toward forming an administration that sets policies on economic and social issues.

Why would you go out of your way to deny yourself your say in that formation?

Unless you're voting for a potential taoiseach, tanaiste, finance minister or expenditure minister, you are wasting you time.

Whip, whip.

&

Government controls Dail.

echo beach wrote: »
    Again I would suggest that you aren't speaking their language. They don't want to be 'educated' in a process that they consider outmoded. They are all for democracy but NOT the way party politics sees it.

The spoiled brat mentality. They want it handed to them on a plate. I know what you are referring to alright.

But there is a responsibility on their behalf to meet us halfway.

Engage with the system as it is, by all means bring their influence on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I'd be one of these new voters. And I wanted to vote this time because I could clearly see a wrong, in my opinion, and I wanted it to be corrected. By me voting a certain way, along with a majority I was guaranteed the outcome I was voting for, no lies or broken promises.

I don't feel the above for general elections. Of course probably down to ignorance on my part.

Also yesterday wasn't about politics for me. Or about a victory or a win. It was all about righting a wrong, helping others who were being wronged. And it's great to see an immediate effect around Dublin city today.

I'd vote every week on similar issues.

But there is a responsibility on their behalf to meet us halfway.

Engage with the system as it is, by all means bring their influence on it.

We are all on this Island together. It can't be 'them' and 'us'.
    Engaging with the system we have is ONE way. It is what I have done all my adult life and frankly all I see is it getting worse.
    Others may choose to reject the current system. Maybe they are right. I don't know.

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    I'd be one of these new voters. And I wanted to vote this time because I could clearly see a wrong, in my opinion, and I wanted it to be corrected. By me voting a certain way, along with a majority I was guaranteed the outcome I was voting for, no lies or broken promises.

I don't feel the above for general elections. Of course probably down to ignorance on my part.

Also yesterday wasn't about politics for me. Or about a victory or a win. It was all about righting a wrong, helping others who were being wronged. And it's great to see an immediate effect around Dublin city today.

I'd vote every week on similar issues.

Well done on voting yesterday. You played your part in bringing real change. Be proud.

This referendum is one political camapign of many.

Politics rights wrongs all the time. Jakes Law, funding the Health Service, legislating against criminal acts, providing a humane welfare system for those worse off than ourselves.

you can play a part in all of the above and more by joining a political party and advocating for issues that are important t you and others who think just like you.

Well done on voting yesterday. You played your part in bringing real change. Be proud.

Politics rights wrongs all the time. Jakes Law, funding the Health Service, legislating against criminal acts, providing a humane welfare system for those worse off than ourselves.

you can play a part in all of the above and more by joining a political party and advocating for issues that are important t you and others who think just like you.

Whip, whip, whip.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Whip, whip, whip.

What about the whip?

Thats the bit I don't get, political parties. How could a party continually agree with my many differing opinions on the world.

Have you found a party that you would vote for each year? or do you move your vote depending on what the parties are offering?

What about the whip?

Four people in government make all the major decisions. If your views oppose their line. Whip, whip, whip.

I disagree with this too. Is the word political correct here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They offer one thing but once in they do what they are told by Europe. It makes not much of a difference what party gets in really, they control what goes on under the table and behind the scenes.

Completely different to a referendum where you have direct control of your vote, it goes one way or the other.

In a GE it's a numbers game and your vote goes to others who don't get the minimum numbers. I personally don't see the point of voting in a GE. I only vote in referendums as I can see the cause and effect so to speak.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Four people in government make all the major decisions. If your views oppose their line. Whip, whip, whip.

There is so much more to political activism. Advocacy, protesting, contributing to policy, losing battles, winning battles, making a difference, seeing fruits of your labour.

There is so much more to political activism. Advocacy, protesting, contributing to policy, losing battles, winning battles, making a difference, seeing fruits of your labour.

But none of that matters because...

See above.

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    Thats the bit I don't get, political parties. How could a party continually agree with my many differing opinions on the world.

Have you found a party that you would vote for each year? or do you move your vote depending on what the parties are offering?

Thats the thing, in every Party there are differing views.

You join a local Branch, advocate on local issues, become a delegate to attend your Party Conference. Play your part in molding Party Policy. Bringing that policy to the People, fighting elections, local and national.

Fantastic life, making a difference and never a dull day is to be had. :)

Advertisement