Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meal delivery services

Options
  • 22-05-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Im planning to do a version of "The Whole 30" paleo plan next month and am thinking of using one of those meal delivery services to sort out my meals (well monday - friday anyway as its hard to find time to cook mid week)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these and if they are worth the money, some of them are quite expensive! The main thing is they need to cater for the paleo diet.

The ones i've been looking at are

http://www.paleomealdeliveries.ie/ (3 meals x 5days = €93)

and

http://www.fighterfood.ie/ (3 meals x 6days = €125)

They both seem ok i guess, the first option says its 3 meals give you 120g protein, 50g fats, 70g carbs daily the second one doesn't specify which is a shame.

Either way id still end up needing to cook at least one extra meal daily so its not cheap. Does anyone know of any other similar setups that are cheaper/seem better for one reason or another? Really like to get some opinions from people who use/have used this type of service.

Or am i mad thinking of shelling out that much for meals? I could probably whip some bland boring meals (4 meals x 7 days) together on a Sunday for about 90 quid for the week? I know that sounds like a no brainier but i'm very lazy when it comes to cooking and will wind up eating the same thing for 30 days if i'm left to it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's extortionately expensive tbh!
    Get up an hour early and cook your food for the day while having breakfast.
    I have fish, some nuts and a smoothie for breakfast.
    While this is cooking or I'm eating, I cook 2x portions of turkey/chicken or lean beef to bring to work. One I eat with a salad and the other I eat with some steamed vegetables.
    Then cook a dinner when I get home, although this isn't always as healthy as I eat with my OH.
    This costs me approx €60/week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Maybe something like joylent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Here's the thing I always find funny.. people complain about the price.

How much money do we also waste on other bull**** during the week we could do without.

Some weeks I HATE prepping food, and because food is such a huge part of me achieving my goals and being productive in work, I'm happy to throw 50-100 on top of what i'd normally pay to solve the problem.

...it's better than legging it to Diep 3x per week.

It's about what you value and what your priorities are - and only you can answer that.

My only concern is the guys who prep meals and you only get like 2,000kcal and 120g protein. You STILL Have to go elsewhere for food and supplement. Makes no sense buying a half solution to something imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

I am actually looking at doing something like this myself in a few months to meet a specific goal and probably would have posted the exact same thing in a few weeks.

I have heard mixed reviews re: fighter food. So of the two you've listed i would go paleo meal deliveries.

My own conclusion was that i will just need to prep in advance - i do now and it stands to me but in the rush up to my goal i expect to quite busy and was looking for an alternative (which i was willing to pay for given what i wanted. which is line with the previous posters opinion).

Long run, getting into the prep routine is the best (and most affordable) way in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Hanley wrote: »

How much money do we also waste on other bull**** during the week we could do without.

Some weeks I HATE prepping food, and because food is such a huge part of me achieving my goals and being productive in work, I'm happy to throw 50-100 on top of what i'd normally pay to solve the problem.

It's about what you value and what your priorities are - and only you can answer that.

My only concern is the guys who prep meals and you only get like 2,000kcal and 120g protein. You STILL Have to go elsewhere for food and supplement. Makes no sense buying a half solution to something imo.
    Can you say which service you have used in the past and found good?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Kurn wrote: »
    Can you say which service you have used in the past and found good?

I've only ever used Clean Lean Foods and it was great value.

The portions were too small for my needs (1 chicken breast, small portion of rice and veg) but given the price the value was dead on.

I'd happily have paid more for bigger portion sizes tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It's extortionately expensive tbh!
    Get up an hour early and cook your food for the day while having breakfast.
    I have fish, some nuts and a smoothie for breakfast.
    While this is cooking or I'm eating, I cook 2x portions of turkey/chicken or lean beef to bring to work. One I eat with a salad and the other I eat with some steamed vegetables.
    Then cook a dinner when I get home, although this isn't always as healthy as I eat with my OH.
    This costs me approx €60/week

I already normally cook for three days in advance as it is but my diet is so dull and bland. Brown rice/Spinach and chicken for 3 meals a day, eggs for breakfast, almonds for snacks. some red meat throughout the week also.

Half the reason for looking at one of these services is because i want to go full paleo for the month and with my lack of enthusiasm to do much in the kitchen (pure lazyness) i thought something like this would help keep me on track.

Might even do it for 2 weeks out of 4 just to give me some ideas?
    jester77 wrote: »
    Maybe something like joylent

Please tell me people aren't living on this alone??? :eek::confused:

This is my main concern, ill still be short 100g in protein, 40g fats and 70g carbs on their 3 meal plan so i'll definitely need another meal for after training in the evenings so on top of say 125 quid for the week ill be spending another 20 at least for that extra meal each day, starts to add up!

i wish i wasn't so lazy when it comes to cooking. But i guess that's why these guys are in business:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 SuppleLeopard

Admin Edit: Spammy McSpammyperson.

Yep the menu looks great but it's only half of what i need daily

Now i can get almost 100 g protein from my two shakes a day, make up the fats with Udo's oil and almonds to snack on the main issue i have is i need an extra meal a day for after i train in the evening. so after forking out €125 for 7 days food ill need to drop about another 20 on food for that extra meal each day.

All in all we can round it up to €150 a week on food, for one person? Like i said i could probably make 4 meals for 7 days for about 90 quid. Albeit my food plan will most definitely be bland and unvaried. Soooo... is variety and time worth 60 quid or 240 quid over the 4 weeks?

Decisions...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oooor you can just prepare a varied diet yourself instead?

Invest 40 quid in a few cook books instead

• Advertisement

Oooor you can just prepare a varied diet yourself instead?

Invest 40 quid in a few cook books instead

I could, yes! But again you miss the part when i say i am extremely lazy and uninterested in spending hours in the kitchen.

Plus i live in share accommo and things like food processors and other kitchen gadgets are non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I could, yes! But again you miss the part when i say i am extremely lazy and uninterested in spending hours in the kitchen.

Plus i live in share accommo and things like food processors and other kitchen gadgets are non existent.

If you don't have enough interest to cook the food you'd like to eat, invest in the service.

If you don't have the money to invest in the service, make the effort to cook the meals.

If you choose the former, I'd suggest learning how to make similar meals easily. You don't need to be kitted put like Inspector Gadget to make a few different meals that fit your kcal and macro requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I think it'd be hard to stick to W30 guidelines and not prepare your own food.
    But you can keep it simple & fend for yourself, lots of people turn from non-cooks into competent ones doinga w30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

This x 1000

I've bought from Fit Food Ireland before and have no complaints. I think if you need to buy meals for every single day then you need to sort your organisational sh*t out... but meals from places like FFI or similiar are perfect 'in case of emergency' meals to have in the freezer...

Here was my reasoning for using their service: I work in two different jobs. If I don't get a chance to bring a pre-prepared meal in to work with me, I usually go for a) A Carvery (which I absolutely love!), massive portions, carb-central and costs €10.50... or b) Boojum for a burrito in a bowl (tasty as bejebus, with extra guac) which I think costs €7.50....

The meals from FFI are paleo, extremely (surprisingly) tasty and work out at, I think, €7.20 each... it's a no-brainer really... I also get the 'treat box' which is f*cking superb...

As Hanley said in his later post, the portions are on the small side and, like H, I'd sooner pay ~8.50 or 9 quid a meal for more satiating portions... but it's definitely something you should look at having in your freezer.

If you don't have enough interest to cook the food you'd like to eat, invest in the service.

If you don't have the money to invest in the service, make the effort to cook the meals.

If you choose the former, I'd suggest learning how to make similar meals easily. You don't need to be kitted put like Inspector Gadget to make a few different meals that fit your kcal and macro requirements

Makes sense. I think what i will do is maybe try it for one week with paleomealsdelivered.ie see how i get on and i guess i'll find out the value of it for myself then.

I think it'd be hard to stick to W30 guidelines and not prepare your own food.
    But you can keep it simple & fend for yourself, lots of people turn from non-cooks into competent ones doing a w30.

Also true enough, i've been looking at simple recipes online and there's a few things that don't seem too time consuming that i could cook in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Caroline150

I have seen a few people ordering from these services and in general the food looks great but very simple and with very little info (if any) on calories and macros (protein carbs, fats). This may not be an issue for you but something to be aware of.

I am a massive fan of preparing meals in bulk. I used to make 5 day worth of meals (15 meals) in about an hour. Each day I would hit strict calorie, protein, carbohydrate and vegetable goals. I usually spent 30 euro a week. Every meal was great quality, I was eating low calorie meals and even still could barely eat all of the food I made.

When I first started I was blown away by the value and quality attainable by this method and how easy it is. Just take a small bit of planning 1 day a week which is better than having to plan for 15 meals throughout the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Spam removed
    First post om boards, very "paleo" username.
    I wonder why <snip company name> was the clincher that made you sign up? :rolleyes:
    All in all we can round it up to €150 a week on food, for one person? Like i said i could probably make 4 meals for 7 days for about 90 quid. Albeit my food plan will most definitely be bland and unvaried. Soooo... is variety and time worth 60 quid or 240 quid over the 4 weeks?
    '
    I think that's the factor that most people overlook when they call these things expensive. The time element.
    How long will it take you to make those meals, how much is your time worth? That's what it comes down to for me. The options for me here are about $13 per 500cal large meal - so I do it myself.

I spent 2 hours yesterday batch cooking lunches while I did last night dinner.

Portioned a whole chicken, made stock from the carcass.

4 portions of kangaroo chilli,
    4 portions of thai chicken curry
    2 thai chicken soups
    2 pan roast chicken breasts with butternut (last night dinner).

Apart from dinner, those 10 meals when into the freezer for when I'm in a rush. I try to make extra dinner each day for the next days lunch, grab one of them if Im stuck. I've never worked out the cost, but its probably onlt a few dollars each.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Skippy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I've often wondered why something similar isnt available in Cork. Obviously i know some of the dublin ones deliver nationwide but the second biggest city in ireland you would hope would have one (Unless i'm mistaken?).

Also amazed the likes of Marks and Spencers which is known for its quality and array of food hasnt targeted the protein audience. Or even one of the other shops that do readymade food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I have seen a few people ordering from these services and in general the food looks great but very simple and with very little info (if any) on calories and macros (protein carbs, fats). This may not be an issue for you but something to be aware of.

I am a massive fan of preparing meals in bulk. I used to make 5 day worth of meals (15 meals) in about an hour. Each day I would hit strict calorie, protein, carbohydrate and vegetable goals. I usually spent 30 euro a week. Every meal was great quality, I was eating low calorie meals and even still could barely eat all of the food I made.

When I first started I was blown away by the value and quality attainable by this method and how easy it is. Just take a small bit of planning 1 day a week which is better than having to plan for 15 meals throughout the week...

Tell me how.... please!!

• Advertisement

I got a 1 day trial of paleo meal deliveries last year when they had a deal on living social or the like, the food was pretty bad - included a *defrosted* cucumber salad,and the treat bar had peanuts in! But what bugged me the most was the lack of reply to my feedback/comments.
    I'd say Conor McGregor it'd have to eat 4 days worth, I was left hungry at 5'3/60kg!

O.P if you are interested in doing a simple W30 I can try dig out some rescources from my bookmarks for you.

I got a 1 day trial of paleo meal deliveries last year when they had a deal on living social or the like, the food was pretty bad - included a *defrosted* cucumber salad,and the treat bar had peanuts in! But what bugged me the most was the lack of reply to my feedback/comments.
    I'd say Conor McGregor it'd have to eat 4 days worth, I was left hungry at 5'3/60kg!

O.P if you are interested in doing a simple W30 I can try dig out some rescources from my bookmarks for you.

Hey that would be great, thank you :)

I've found a few recipes that look super simple, sweet potato chips, turkey burgers, different ways to add flavour to chicken. I really want to avoid anything that is going to be time consuming. if it can be made in bulk in under 20 minutes then its the kind of thing i'll make.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Skippy :eek:

Front left :eek:

52PDL9s.jpg

Hey that would be great, thank you :)

I've found a few recipes that look super simple, sweet potato chips, turkey burgers, different ways to add flavour to chicken. I really want to avoid anything that is going to be time consuming. if it can be made in bulk in under 20 minutes then its the kind of thing i'll make.

One of the best paleo (and mostly w30) foodie sites is the clothe smake the girl, love it.
    What I think might work for you is her "hot plates" , see at the bottom of this page, but you might enjoy a look at her week by week W30 plans. I find all her recipes very tasty, but she tends to be heavy on salt/spices so you may want to bear that in mind

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/01/04/whole30-2014-week-2-food-plan/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 SuppleLeopard

Admin Edit: Spammy McSpammyperson.

"apparently" :D
    Good to hear things have improved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This has actually peaked my interest, it would be nice to not have to spend time buy/preparing food. So I had a quick look at the Paleo Food Deliveries website... €127.50 for 7x3 meals!!!!

They don't even try and incentivize a monthly subscription either, the 7x3 meals over 4 weeks still works out at €124.50 a week, a whopping €3 saving.

For what are essentially microwaveable dinners (albeit healthy blah blah), that is quite frankly ridiculous. Especially when you'd have to buy snacks on top of that.

This has actually peaked my interest, it would be nice to not have to spend time buy/preparing food. So I had a quick look at the Paleo Food Deliveries website... €127.50 for 7x3 meals!!!!

They don't even try and incentivize a monthly subscription either, the 7x3 meals over 4 weeks still works out at €124.50 a week, a whopping €3 saving.

For what are essentially microwaveable dinners (albeit healthy blah blah), that is quite frankly ridiculous. Especially when you'd have to buy snacks on top of that.

So you think its a complete rip off?

I had already figured snacks and an extra meal i'd need to cook into things but id snack on nuts, and i have 2 protein shakes a day already to make up the protein i require. All in all probably about €150 a week for food but the effort is taken out of it. plus ill be sitting in al month so ill save on that side of things as i usually spend at least 80+ on a night out once a week

I was very impressed personally, and portions were perfect, found I was actually eating less calories
    What about people will high energy needs, trying to maintain or even gain weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sitebanned SuppleLeopard for being an obvious shill for that company.

I've had to delete/edit a few replies to maintain the thread flow. Sorry!

Advertisement