Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home to Vote

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Eight lads were interviewed by RTE and they said that they had been over in London for the last ten years but came home to vote! You could check their passports for visa stamps for those living outside of the EU. Very difficult to prove for those living within the EU(unless they stupidly admit it on air).
    So, were they arrested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

Do you need to put your name down each year? I haven't since I first registered about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Do you need to put your name down each year? I haven't since I first registered about 10 years ago.
    In my case and my wifes, the local list maintainer (who has a more grand name than that no doubt) came round regularily and asked whether I was still resident there.

For me, a little hard for the parents to lie as (aside from they dont lie) the first list dude was my Primary School headmaster who knew rightly I was abroad for a very Extended period, and the subsequent list fella was former local guard who again knows the family and whose daughter would know rightly where I was. I was off the list probably before the 18months grace period was up.

for the wife, some randomer was doing the list so she was on it for years being renewed each time, before her mother slipped up (/gave up on her coming home) and said that she was gone.

And down the road theres a lad gone for 20 years to a different location in Ireland and his folks obviously keep saying that his main address is there as he still votes from home.

This Referendum has shown what a sham the Electoral Register is, and it's integrity (which officially is the prime reason to not allow votes for Irish abroad) is not going to be fatally compromised by allowing a couple of thousand emmigrants per constituency the vote.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What counties still have door to door visits? Haven't existed in my part of the world for maybe a decade and a half

Card comes in the door every autumn, if its not returned within about two to three years you get dropped off the list. Council has a nasty habit of losing these returns though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Off topic but will this change now that we get water bills? cheaper bill with the young fella living away etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

It'll be interesting to see the difference between the yes and no count. We have 66,000 yes votes which are from non-resident Irish returning to vote. Enda was touched by their determination to break the law.

Get it right - It was 66,000 new voters registered, not 66,000 coming home to vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

L1011 wrote: »
    Card comes in the door every autumn, if its not returned within about two to three years you get dropped off the list. Council has a nasty habit of losing these returns though.

That's weird, noone's been checking at ours in person or sending around cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Eight lads were interviewed by RTE and they said that they had been over in London for the last ten years but came home to vote! You could check their passports for visa stamps for those living outside of the EU. Very difficult to prove for those living within the EU(unless they stupidly admit it on air).
    like to find that audio or was it video?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

listened to hours of radio archives and still can't find these people who said they voted after been away for 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

bopper wrote: »
    Get it right - It was 66,000 new voters registered, not 66,000 coming home to vote!
    Yeah, my bad, we established that earlier in the thread.

66,000 people who never voted before and will probably never vote again. Being terminally offended is a full time job.

Advertisement