Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards ECW Championship Tournament

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Douglas. The original. Arguably the petter promo.

RVD. Love Taz, but think RVD edges it, in terms of exciting ring style

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm going for Shane Douglas over Christian. Shane was brash, arrogant and a total loudmouth asshole on the mic. In ECW, that counts for something. He's also got a great heel reign from 97-98 where he was ducking Taz and it made for great tv.

I'm also gonna go with Taz over RVD. I think RVD is probably a bigger name and all but Taz as ECW Champion was excellent. Sawn off and p*ssed off, he was a beast. RVD never won the title in the original and never really won it in WWE either, was just given to him.

The current scores are

Douglas 4
    Christian 2

and

Taz 4
    RVD 2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Personally don't think Christian should be here despite being a big fan and all but a triple threat final between Taz, Douglas and RVD would be apt for the ECW title IMO.

So I'm obviously voting for Douglas.

The other one is tougher bit Taz for me fits the ECW champ mold more, he was great there and as others would say RVD is perhaps more synonymous with the tv title (a vote he'd easily take IMO)

So Douglas & Taz

A fitting final as these two fight for the right to be called the best ECW Champion of all time. The Franchise and the Human Suplex Machine know each other extremely well. Having first feuded over the ECW Television Championship, they progressed to the upper echelon scrapping it out for the top prize in Philadelphia. Shane held the title 4 times and was involved in one of the more infamous promos in hostory when he threw down the NWA Heavyweight Title in favour of becoming the new ECW World Champion. He held the title for a combined 874 days. Taz, meanwhile, is one of only a handful of ECW Triple Crown winners having also captured the ECW TV Title and ECW Tag Team Title. He even brought the ECW title to Smackdown to face HHH in 2000. So there you have it. It all boils down to who you think was the better champion. We'll let this run until it runs out of steam. Cast your votes.....NOW!
    ECW_Scans_0002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Taz for me. Loved his matches, a proper bad ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

My first instinct is to say Douglas. Don't like the guy myself but there is no doubt he did have buckets of talent and THAT moment can't be understated.

But my vote goes to Taz.

The overall package he presented in ECW was fantastic. The aura, look and in ring skills were top notch. So many super matches with the likes of Sabu, Bam Bam and Raven. Shouldn't have much bearing on this tourney but liked him throughout his career. His debut in WWE easily in my top three.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've stuck with him from the start, and I'll stand by him again

Shane Douglas. Taz is awesome. Had great matches. And arguably was the most recognisable part of ECW. Shane edges it for me though, historically speaking. He was there when they first became Extreme. Throwing down the NWA belt in favour of the ECW title was a monumentous moment in ECW history, and a real turning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Douglas was an awesome wreslter and ECW champion and that's why i voted for him so far , that and he was always up against people he deserved to beat....But I never liked the guy

Tazz on the other hand was an awesome technical wrestler up there up Benoit, Daniel Bryan and Dynamite Kid and the fact that he could legit kick the head off most people he fought and not to mention he was great on the mic without a leash on him like he had in WWE so for me TAZ is the Ultimate ECW champion , Who else could created a title called **** The World and get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Taz no doubt. Douglas is extremely overrated in my eyes and he was always his own biggest fan. Taz has much more of a presence than Douglas and carried himself like a big deal.

I'll give this a bump just in case anyone else fancies casting their vote. Will wrap it up before the night is out and crown a new champion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Tazz, BMF with an awesome finisher. Never really felt drawn to Douglas.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your PW Boards ECW Championship Tournament winner.... From the Red Hook section of Brooklyn, New York... This. Is. Taz.

Tazz_-_Peter_Senerchia_22.jpg

Enjoy his epic themes from both ECW and WWF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

"J.R YA SCUMBAG"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

"Let the pidgeons loose !"

So was he Taz in ECW and did WWF then add the extra Z, or was it always a mixture of both?

You got it one. Taz in ECW and Tazz in WWE. I'd assume Taz was trademarked by the Looney Toons/Warner Brothers.

So it's safe to assume that Paul Heyman, Tod Gordon and whoever else said **** the trademark?

Well yes. They used Metallica's Enter Sandman etc for theme tunes. If you ever used to buy VHS tapes in HMV or the likes, you'd get god awful covers or generic theme tunes that would horrify you as they couldn't possibly afford the rights. But Paul E got around this at the time by straight up not giving a rats and saying screw it. Excellent business acumen.

It's the only way to go really. I always dug the Motorhead version of Enter Sandman though, that was pretty sweet. I was involved with a cafe a few years ago and not a cent was paid to IMRO until they turned up at the door. Easier to let these people find you always.

• Advertisement
Advertisement