Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards ECW Championship Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Christian.

Just gotta throw up a quick reason at the quarter final stages. It's a bit more advanced now, gh0st

• Registered Users Posts: 85,886 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Christian - some great matches

And it's a whitewash in the latter stages of the tournament, a rarity perhaps but we'll see. Captain Charisma lives to fight another day. Next up is two guys with pretty high opinions of themselves IMO, let's see who can back it up.

Shane Douglas

The Franchise

20.jpg

Vs

Matt Hardy

Stronger Than Death

640px-Matt_Hardy_Milwaukee%2C_WI_090908.jpg

douglas-hardy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Christian almost by default , Because Zeke never did anything of note with the title

has to be Douglas it was him that dumped the Eastern Championship title and changed the brand forever

Matt hardy i can't even remember being champ so that says it all for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Shane Douglas for me.

While Matt was super over last one point, he wasn't a pastch on Jeff.

Shane Douglas, as already pointed out, was at the heart kof the movement from Eastern to Extreme Championship Wrestling. He was ECW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not a huge fan of Douglas but The Franchise with the ECW title meant a hell of a lot more than Hardy with it so he gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I love V1 but has to be douglas, hes one it all started with. Love him or hate him, hes ECW

The founding father of ECW sees of his conpetition without breaking a sweat. It's all ECW Originals from here on out so I don't expect it to be as simple as that for the remaining combatants. Next up we have two guys who took the InVasion to the Extreme.

Tommy Dreamer

The Heart & Soul of ECW

TommyDreamerBookIt.jpg

Vs

Rob Van Dam

The Whole F'N Show

rvd-titles.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Tommy Dreamer,

rvd is more TV champion, Dreamer would be what I picture when I think of teh ECW Champion

• Advertisement

Van Dam for me far and away.

While Tommy was the "Heart and Soul" of ECW, he's nowhere near as good in ring, nor as entertaining (at least to me). Don't get me wrong, I like Tommy. But he's no RVD!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,886 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I went for RVD, I think he brought more attention to the title and promotion as he was so over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Tommy Dreamer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Rob Van Dam even though his ecw championship came in wwe's ecw the main event at ONS and his TV title run will always make him an icon for ecw.

Looking for reasons this round boys so if u could whack them up that would be sound. I'll leave it as it stands at 3-2 because ECW often had screwy finishes :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

RVD because even though in many ways Dreamer was ECW, in my mind he is a mid carder and for me RVD is a ECW champion (even tho yes he is probably better known for his run with the TV title in the original ECW) and even outside of the old ECW he was class as the WWECW champ... but then he got high, then he got high, then he got hiiigh

RVD frogsplashes Tommy out of the tournament and crushes his dreams. Our final quarter final is an absolute doozy and could contain the outright winner. Remember to give a reason for your choice guys.

Sabu

Homicidal. Genocidal. Suicidal

sabuecw.jpg

Vs

Taz

The Human Suplex Machine

tumblr_lmrwemfGQ61qctxd4o1_500.jpg

19970413_taz_sabu.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Taz - he seemed like a genuine bada$$. His suplexs were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is tough but I will go with Taz as I feel he captured the spirit of ECW a little bit better than Sabu, and he had that no-nonsense aura about him.

Taz because although Sabu had the hardcore aspect down to a tee , Taz was an amazing wrestler and a legit ass kicker , Taz was also the man that Paul Heyman sent to WWE that time that got to fight the then world champion Triple H

I always thought of Sabu as the lesser talented version of RVD

• Advertisement

I am still pointing at the ceiling......

Sabu.

Taz. Had the feel and presentation of a legit shooter. A badass.

This was probably the hardest one to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Both very much on par with being fairly silent but deadly.

I'd give this one to Taz, just. He seemed a bit more of a developed character. Plus as stated above that match with Trips was novel.

The real question though is, who had the cooler entrance music?

We now know our semi final line up. We are going to do this Double Jeopardy style with two bouts taking place at the same time. I'm gonna ask for 5 votes to put your choice through to the final and again just a reason why you prefer him over his opponent. Remember, vote for one guy in each semi final match up. Let's see how the draw worked out....

Semi Final 1

Shane Douglas

The Franchise

20.jpg

Vs

Christian

Captain Charisma

Sii,_Christian_campe%C3%B3n_de_ECW.jpg

*AND*

Semi Final 2

Taz

''Beat Me If You Can...Survive If I Let You''

tumblr_lmrwemfGQ61qctxd4o1_500.jpg

Vs

Rob Van Dam

Mr Monday Night

rob_va11.jpg

Shane Douglas really easy here as i said previously Christian would get eaten alive in the real ECW

Taz for me in the 2nd one just about because he is the better wrestler and that's probably the only reason

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Shane Douglas, the ECW original. A little bit of sentimentality there, and he was there when ECW was actually Extreme.

Rob Van Dam. Not a big Taz fan, and I found Rob much, much more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've always found Douglas very overrated whereas I think Christian is quite underrated. Christian can wrestle any type of style so I will give him the decision.

I will give the nod to Taz over RVD as I think he has the edge in terms of toughness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Christian, because his themes were always amazing. And he was criminally underrated also, so he deserves this one.

Taz, because he would legitimately break you in half. Tazzmission was super cool, and also fun to just say out loud for no reason in regular conversation!

Advertisement