Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries & Blackberries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

I went to Keelings farm shop yesterday and it's gone. Anyone know what the story is. I had heard about it on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Maybe its only a summer thing and hasn' t started up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

Anything better than tescos frozen berries mix and frozen blueberries? Seems to do the job for me but its still nothing as tasty as fresh produce unfortunately. Seems to be best for the price unless someone can educate me?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

sue97 wrote: »
    I went to Keelings farm shop yesterday and it's gone. Anyone know what the story is. I had heard about it on this thread.

As above, it's a summer thing only. Normally May when they setup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Anything better than tescos frozen berries mix and frozen blueberries? Seems to do the job for me but its still nothing as tasty as fresh produce unfortunately. Seems to be best for the price unless someone can educate me?

Can't eat the frozen berries anymore since the hepatitis scare. You can cook them but they're not as nice.https://www.fsai.ie/faqs/berries_hepatitis_a.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Aldi (same price) and Lidl (slightly dearer) seem to me, to have better quality and variety to their frozen mix than Tesco - but all frozen berry imports are still on the 1 minute boil notice from 2013 for hep A etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Grawns wrote: »
    Can't eat the frozen berries anymore since the hepatitis scare. You can cook them but they're not as nice.https://www.fsai.ie/faqs/berries_hepatitis_a.html

This boil notice really is a pain. Has anyone found a way to boil berries in a microwave without turning them into jam?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

No but it's such a pity there are no Irish frozen fruit as these would be exempt

styron wrote: »
    Aldi (same price) and Lidl (slightly dearer) seem to me, to have better quality and variety to their frozen mix than Tesco - but all frozen berry imports are still on the 1 minute boil notice[/URL] from 2013 for hep A etc..

Ive been eating them for two years and all I do is let them defrost in the fridge over night... Never heard about this.. How come there is no warnings on the packages? Is the warning credible?

Just looked up the diseases. They seem to be grand for younger people. Ill continue eating them. Risk seems low.

• Advertisement

Just looked up the diseases. They seem to be grand for younger people. Ill continue eating them. Risk seems low.

Hepatitis doesn't affect younger people then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Any bargains on berries yet? I've wiped the dust off the smoothie blender and need a fruity fix!

RainyDay wrote: »
    Hepatitis doesn't affect younger people then?

It does but you just get over it and it recedes. It only really fecks over the elderly or people with weak immune systems it seems. PS IAM NO MEDICAL EXPERT.

"In the United States in 1991, the mortality rate for hepatitis A was four deaths per 1000 cases for the general population, but a higher at 17.5 per 1000 in those aged 50 and over. The risk of death from acute liver failure following HAV infection increases with age and when the person has underlying chronic liver disease.

Young children who are infected with hepatitis A typically have a milder form of the disease, usually lasting from 1–3 weeks, whereas adults tend to experience a much more severe form of the disease.[28]"

And...

"The most widespread hepatitis A outbreak in the 2003 United States hepatitis outbreak afflicted at least 640 people (killing four) in northeastern Ohio and southwestern Pennsylvania in late 2003. The outbreak was blamed on tainted green onions at a restaurant in Monaca, Pennsylvania.[44][45] In 1988, more than 300,000 people in Shanghai, China, were infected with HAV after eating clams (Anadara subcrenata) from a contaminated river.[26] In June 2013, frozen berries sold by US retailer Costco and purchased by around 240,000 people were the subject of a recall, after at least 158 people were infected with HAV, 69 of whom were hospitalized.[46][47] In Australia in February 2015, a recall of frozen berries was issued after at least 19 people contracted the illness following their consumption of the product.[48]"

Risk is very low when you weight everything up.

It does but you just get over it and it recedes. It only really fecks over the elderly or people with weak immune systems it seems. PS IAM NO MEDICAL EXPERT.
    Good luck with that, as they say. I don't think your claim about who it fecks over stands up.

Yes, the risk of being infected is low, but the impact of being infected is high, and can mean a lifetime of problems. FSAI don't issue warnings willy-nilly.

Good luck with that, as they say. I don't think your claim about who it fecks over stands up.

Yes, the risk of being infected is low, but the impact of being infected is high, and can mean a lifetime of problems. FSAI don't issue warnings willy-nilly.

Risk of contracting it is extremely low. Risk of mortality is extremely low. Risk of liver problems is rare.

"Usually the virus doesn't cause any long-term problems or complications. But according to the CDC, 10% to 15% of people with hepatitis A will have symptoms that last a long time or come back over a 6- to 9-month period. In rare situations, some people may have liver failure or need a transplant."

The only people who died were old people on their last legs anyway and they were the only people who died in the last outbreak. Ill continue eating my delicious breakfast.

PS THIS IS MY OWN AMATEUR 5 MIN LOOK AT THIS.. CONSULT A REAL PROFESSIONAL FOR ADVICE

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

Punnets of Spanish strawberries and grapes €1 on Moore Street last weekend :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Gilma2010 wrote: »
    Punnets of Spanish strawberries and grapes €1 on Moore Street last weekend :-D

You'd imagine they'd be nice coming from spain but no they're big huge blown up nasty yokes.

Risk of contracting it is extremely low. Risk of mortality is extremely low. Risk of liver problems is rare.

"Usually the virus doesn't cause any long-term problems or complications. But according to the CDC, 10% to 15% of people with hepatitis A will have symptoms that last a long time or come back over a 6- to 9-month period. In rare situations, some people may have liver failure or need a transplant."

The only people who died were old people on their last legs anyway and they were the only people who died in the last outbreak. Ill continue eating my delicious breakfast.

PS THIS IS MY OWN AMATEUR 5 MIN LOOK AT THIS.. CONSULT A REAL PROFESSIONAL FOR ADVICE

I wasn't really thinking about mortality - more the other problems
    http://www.hepatitiscentral.com/news/hepatitis-cs-impact-from-head-to-toe/

From your head down to your toes, Hepatitis C infection can wreck havoc just about everywhere.

Brain – When Hepatitis C infection causes enough liver damage to impair this organ’s ability to filter the blood, toxins can build up in the bloodstream. Unfortunately, accumulated toxicity may damage the central nervous system and impair brain function. Known as hepatic encephalopathy, symptoms may include confusion, forgetfulness, poor concentration, personality changes, abnormal shaking, agitation, disorientation, slurred speech and, in the most severe cases, coma. By aiding detoxification, supplementing with a comprehensive nutraceutical such as Liver Support & Detox can help prevent brain involvement via inhibition of toxin accumulation.
    Eyes – An inflammatory disease that damages the salivary glands causing dry mouth and eyes, sialadenitis has been associated with Hepatitis C infection. In addition, Sjogren’s Syndrome (SS) is an autoimmune disease that renders the eyes and mouth dry. SS is found more often in people with Hepatitis C than in the general population. Although the exact physiology is not well understood, Hepatitis C seems to increase susceptibility to eye troubles. To protect eye health, consider providing your eyes with the nutrition needed to function optimally with Advanced Eye & Vision Support Formula.
    Thyroid – Part of the endocrine system, the thyroid gland delivers hormones into the bloodstream. In certain individuals, the Hepatitis C virus may cause the immune system to mistakenly injure the thyroid – either causing overactivity (hyperthyroidism) or underactivity (hypothyroidism). Hypothyroidism may lead to feeling sluggish and cold while hyperthyroidism can cause symptoms such as nervousness and rapid heartbeat. Supplying the body with the thyroid-nourishing vitamins, minerals and botanical extracts found in Thyroid Support can help protect this valuable gland.
    Joints and Muscles – According to the American College of Rheumatology, it is common for people with Hepatitis C to have related rheumatic diseases – problems affecting the muscles, joints and connective tissue. The joint and muscle complications of Hepatitis C result when the body’s immune system fights against the virus. One of the most common causes of joint and muscle pain with Hepatitis C is rheumatoid arthritis, a painful condition characterized by inflammation of the synovial joints.
    Digestion – Many who undergo Hepatitis C treatment suffer with digestive problems like low appetite, nausea and abdominal distention. Even those not taking antivirus therapy are vulnerable to digestive issues. Because the liver plays an important role in the digestive system, many with Hepatitis C experience upset stomach, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. Although a physician should always be consulted about these symptoms, many of these digestive problems are aided by re-colonizing the gastrointestinal tract with a powerful probiotic supplement, such as Super Probiotics.
    High Blood Sugar – A healthy liver helps convert sugars into glucose and store it for energy. Too much sugar in the bloodstream can lead to insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. Part of a collection of health problems termed metabolic syndrome, high blood sugar is frequently accompanied by obesity, high blood pressure and a fatty liver. An increasing number of studies are showing that high blood sugar, insulin resistance and diabetes are seen more often in those with Hepatitis C than the general population. While eating low glycemic index foods and exercising regularly are the best ways to avert high blood sugar, supplementing with Clinical Metabolic X also helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels and prevent the development or worsening of metabolic syndrome.
    Hands and Feet – A painful condition that affects the blood vessels in the fingers, toes, ears and nose, Raynaud’s phenomena is a disorder that causes the blood vessels in extremities to constrict. A potential Hepatitis C extrahepatic manifestation, cryoglobulinemia is a blood disorder caused by abnormal proteins that clump together when blood is chilled. In people with Hepatitis C-related cryoglobulinemia, one study found that 30 percent of affected individuals also had Raynaud’s phenomenon. Preventing this problem is best achieved by quitting smoking, exercising regularly and keeping out of extremely cold temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I wasn't really thinking about mortality - more the other problems
    http://www.hepatitiscentral.com/news/hepatitis-cs-impact-from-head-to-toe/

Hep C different beast altogether.

Hep C different beast altogether.

You're right, I missed that distinction - Looks like Hep A isn't all cute and cuddly either, but the impacts are much less severe. There is a mortality rate of 17.5 per 1000 in the US though, which is a bit of a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Back on topic please folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Emerg

Back on topic- Keelings Farm shop now open at back of Airport :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Emerg wrote: »
    Back on topic- Keelings Farm shop now open at back of Airport :)

Prices??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Emerg

Prices??
    Sorry, I havent stopped in yet :) Just saw it from the car

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Went into my local Supervalu to stock up on berries....very disappointed to see that nothing was home grown.
    And I was very taken back to see Keelings strawberries, grown in the Netherlands......
    So I bought strawberries and rasberries, from the Netherlands, and blueberries from Spain...
    I know we are in the EU, but in the height of the Summer, surely more berries on sale, should be grown in Ireland..
    rant over...thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Went into my local Supervalu to stock up on berries....very disappointed to see that nothing was home grown.
    And I was very taken back to see Keelings strawberries, grown in the Netherlands......
    So I bought strawberries and rasberries, from the Netherlands, and blueberries from Spain...
    I know we are in the EU, but in the height of the Summer, surely more berries on sale, should be grown in Ireland..
    rant over...thanks....

I thought Keelings would have had them grown under glass in Ireland by now, I thought with modern growing techniques they were able to extend the season in St.Margarets, mind you can't remember where I read that !

Anyway on prices, the raspberries seem to have gone up on price in Lidl in the last 2 weeks, not come down !! they used to always be €1.79 but are selling them at €2.19/€1.99 now, unless they are preparing to have one of their 99c per punnet sales. Strawberries are still a rip off price around the place despite volumes on the up at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Taking this slightly off topic but what is the best way of keeping raspberries (in particular) fresh? I find I buy them (usually at either local market or in a supermarket), bring them home, wash them, put them in the fridge but they go off in under 2 days.
    Is there any way around this? I dont always get to use them within 2 days, maybe I should just wash them & freeze them?

Even washing them seems to 'de-stabilize' them/make them mushy :(

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

boogaloop wrote: »
    Taking this slightly off topic but what is the best way of keeping raspberries (in particular) fresh? I find I buy them (usually at either local market or in a supermarket), bring them home, wash them, put them in the fridge but they go off in under 2 days.
    Is there any way around this? I dont always get to use them within 2 days, maybe I should just wash them & freeze them?

Even washing them seems to 'de-stabilize' them/make them mushy :(

Thanks in advance.

I never wash them just refrigerate them, no one ever died !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

rant over...thanks....

It's still May!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭CH3OH

The strawberries in Lidl have gone up in price,, but they are excellent quality and the last ones I got were Irish.

They taste fantastic and they have that gorgeous Irish strawberry smell.

I've been seen sniffing the packs:)

Advertisement