Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable Career For the part time farmer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Would you not consider getting a contractor in to spread your fertiliser by any chance? Im not telling you what to do just asking

Something I not Taugh about to be honest . Normal I fairly good to get it out. Moved cows this morning and went out with spinner straight away . I only farming 25 acres myself at the moment (rest is rented out ) so I think only way a contractor would come out is to blanket spread . Which I am not a fan off. And if i was blanket spreading I could easily do that my self

Part time farming along with running my own bussince.

Can be a advanages . Can take time when needed to do any work .

The disadvantage though is when things get crazy in bussincess farming can suffer . Things been crazy last few week and I never spread any fertlizer for 2 weeks .

Over all though I think it's better than if i had a 9 to 5 job

Being nosey now but what's the business? :D

Agri support bussincess . Mostly what we do is all the paper work for farmers for there bord bia audits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Part time farmer here and also run my own small business (2 employees). Hoping to have my income as 50/50 farm/business by next year. Started sheep farming in 2013. Only get area aid, no SFP. Spent the last few years doing major capital work on the farm (fencing/reseeding etc) thats starting to pay off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

The only thing with teaching i prob need to be in a school within a half hours drive, but this is actually not too hard in the south Meath area, huge number of schools and more being built in villages such as enfield and kingscourt that never had secondary schools before. meath is officially the youngest county population in Ireland. great help to finding work as a teacher.!

If your a primary school male teacher you have no problem finding a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Is resurrecting this to ask how things have worked out against the rules???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

no course not, im working as a secondary teacher about 14 miles away, takes about 25 mins to work. working out great

Toplink wrote: »
    Working in the corporate sector certainly does give you great discipline. There is zero waste in these places, everything gets measures and deadlines have to get met and if their extended your losing money. You think you have a good work ethic coming from a farming background but you meet some animals especially in the US who do 70/80 hour weeks, every week. Crazy stuff.

Projects that get run in the local office can be quite interesting however when they invested in cheap labour in some of the developing eastern nations it got soul destroying eventually. Maybe a change of scenery would help but its only really delaying the inevitable.

Reckon running your own online business is the only answer to the flexibility of part time farming.

I have 5 years to get this right :D

Lets be honest here, in my experience the corporate world is a mercenary environment where a series of transactional relationships are discarded as easily as they are formed.

I have been working from home and do sucklers on the side with my mother.

The wfh has been a nightmare in my experience, its as if you are expected to be online anytime between 8 am and 7 pm leaving minimal time for farm work or the gym and as we know you can't go for a few pints anymore

At least as a teacher the work would be rewarding, why not primary teaching?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Sell the farm stay in the the steady job

sasta le wrote: »
    Sell the farm stay in the the steady job

The OP said he didn't like the job, maybe he could go on a 3 day week if he wants security etc while changing roles?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

The OP said he didn't like the job, maybe he could go on a 3 day week if he wants security etc while changing roles?

That's true
    I'm not a farmer just saw the thread
    The OP has a good position over most people

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Been thinking about starting a farm mapping service in free time, start off mapping dairy farms (field boundaries, water points, roadways, temporary fences etc...) Get it printed on a whiteboard or an A1 drawing for a farmer.

Wondering if yee think this would be a runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

A lot of lads at it already as well as a good few lads able to do similar themselves anyway. Youd prob have to offer more. Grass measuring etc along with it, that would take more time as well as being accurate at it being a necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lets be honest here, in my experience the corporate world is a mercenary environment where a series of transactional relationships are discarded as easily as they are formed.

I have been working from home and do sucklers on the side with my mother.

The wfh has been a nightmare in my experience, its as if you are expected to be online anytime between 8 am and 7 pm leaving minimal time for farm work or the gym and as we know you can't go for a few pints anymore

At least as a teacher the work would be rewarding, why not primary teaching?

A lot of this is having balls. Decide your working hours same as at work. Stick to them. If you get a call outside these hours ask is it an emergency. Any manager will try to push there look.

10+ years back the company I worked for wanted us to do night and early morning jobs. The project managers used to set up the job for a date and were cancelling 25% of them after lunch the day they were due

We had a meeting and I made the point that this was scheduled work and if it was scheduled attendance it could not be changed that late. There was managers from the three different groups there. And they were on that the company could not afford to have workers doing nothing, I got fed up and told them I sort it for them so.

One manager asked the stupid question''how would you solve it so Bass''.

''I will not continue to be available if it continues as at present'' I said.

You could hear a pin drop in the room for a minute after there was 20-25 people at the meeting. The managers stood up there with there mouth open catching flies. However they got the message. It was sorted after that a 72 hour cancellation window was put in place and if it was cancelled after that we got the night and following day off. Project managers started making sure there schedule was in place and it would not be compromised by late delivery.

I

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement