Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breitling Navitimer World Service

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think it is unfortunate that Swiss companies have limited the spare parts availability to independent watchmakers, and decided to do all the servicing in house. In the long run I think it's going to make people think twice before buying a Swiss watch, especially if their watches are going to be costing this sort of money every few years. Also independent watchmakers will no longer be there if they have no watches to repair. Is there an alternative?

Are we going to spend €6-700 on tools and oil and clean our watches ourselves, and hope with regular servicing no parts are needed?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/getting-started-guide-watchmaking-tools-688276.html

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Hi,

I have decided today to get the watch serviced with Breitling. Need to start saving. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Anthony.....

Hi,

Update on the watch service with Breitling.
    The watch was ready for collection last week and it was like a brand new watch. Hands and gaskets replaced and polished like a mirror. It looked fabulous. While waiting I was browsing the Rolex stand and asked to have a look at the new Oyster Perpetual 39mm with the grey dial. Then the salesman showed me a mint Explorer I - bad move. I fell for it on the spot and after a weekend of hard thinking, I went back and traded the Breitling against it.
    Anyone in the market for a mint Breitling Navitimer World, steel braclet and blue dial with all boxes and papers?
    A few photos attached.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No thanks, cost of servicing has put me off:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    No thanks, cost of servicing has put me off:D

It is an expensive service. It was allowed as part of the trade in. Must say that I love the Rolex Explorer considering it is a watch brand that sits low on my radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭893bet

I am rather devastated of the poor viewing of the new 39mm oyster! It looks like perfection to me but I am preparing to be disappointed!

893bet wrote: »
    I am rather devastated of the poor viewing of the new 39mm oyster! It looks like perfection to me but I am preparing to be disappointed!

The new Oyster Perpetual is a beautiful watch, I just felt when compared to the Explorer, it did not have that 'timeless' quality. I felt that the OP might date whereas the Explorer will look well in 50 years and will match any occasion or clothes style. Heres a few phone shots of the OP and a side by side of both. No matter what you decide to buy, you wont be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Pandybelly wrote: »
    The new Oyster Perpetual is a beautiful watch, I just felt when compared to the Explorer, it did not have that 'timeless' quality. I felt that the OP might date whereas the Explorer will look well in 50 years and will match any occasion or clothes style. Heres a few phone shots of the OP and a side by side of both. No matter what you decide to buy, you wont be disappointed.

Would definitely pick the Explorer out of those two although it would be a much closer call if you were comparing the 39mm Oyster Perpetual with the blue dial and the green accents.

ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-114300-ablogtowatch-2015-hands-on-2.jpg

Advertisement