Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breitling Navitimer World Service

Options
  • 18-05-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Breitling Navitimer World approaching 6 years old. It is worn in rotation with some other watches. The case, bracelet etc. are in excellent condition and it is kept on a winder when not being worn. Recently, I noticed in was running slow, so a few weeks ago I dropped it to the AD in Cork where I bought it . On Tuesday, I received a call stating that my watch was in Switzerland with Breitling and required a full service. Also, the case would be polished and the hands replaced and the watch would be like new. OK so far. Then the kicker, €760.00 for the service. Im still in shock. I know that mechanical watches must be serviced but I was expecting €350.00 as a fair price for a service. Why are they changing the hands, they are perfect?
    The guy I usually deal with was away and is due back at work today so I will phone him and see what he has to say.
    Could someone advise me:-
    • Is this an excessive price for a service?
    • Do I have to get the hands changed and the case polished even though they look perfect to me?
    • Can anyone recommend a Breitling service person within Ireland who can conduct a proper service and get my watch keeping time for a reasonable fee?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

That price of €760.00 is IMHO the price for a complete overhaul. A regular service would be €350 with Breitling.
    If the watch is in excellent cosmetic and as you say worn on rotation then someone is taking the proverbial! Tell them to either do a regular service or send it back to you.
    You could get someone in the UK to service it for less than €350 but you have the hassle of getting it there and insurance risks as covered here recently.
    I sent my emergency back recently for its first service and they cleaned and polished the case and sent it back in a complimentary Breitling travel case.
    It comes down to whether you think a breitling service vs an independent watch makers service is worth the difference in price!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭893bet

Homer wrote: »
    That price of €760.00 is IMHO the price for a complete overhaul. A regular service would be €350 with Breitling.
    If the watch is in excellent cosmetic and as you say worn on rotation then someone is taking the proverbial! Tell them to either do a regular service or send it back to you.
    You could get someone in the UK to service it for less than €350 but you have the hassle of getting it there and insurance risks as covered here recently.
    I sent my emergency back recently for its first service and they cleaned and polished the case and sent it back in a complimentary Breitling travel case.
    It comes down to whether you think a breitling service vs an independent watch makers service is worth the difference in price!

I wasn't aware there was a difference between complete overhaul and just a service?

Can you clarify what extra they are to do?

Maintenance service
    Cleaning and lubrication of the balance wheel and escapement, checking the movement and watch functions. Cleaning the bracelet and case, replacement of gaskets/seals.

Complete Overhaul
    Complete dismantling of the movement and cleaning/replacing where necessary of any components. Same cleaning and polishing of the case and or bracelet and seals/gaskets replaced.

It's basically the difference between a quick clean and lube and a full dismantling of the movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

To put these prices in some context, a "complete overhaul" as described here is what Emily at watchrepairs.ie will do for €160 (€230 for a chrono).

Don't get me wrong.. I was just copying and pasting Breitlings descriptions and rough costs. I haven't used Emily at watchrepairs.ie but have only heard good things. My first service was free and when the next one is due I'll certainly look to get servicing done locally rather than bend over for the service dept of Breitling, IWC et al..

• Advertisement

I haven't sent a watch of such high value to her and I can understand any reservations you may have there, but last year got a watch serviced and repaired and I can say that Emily was cheaper, much quicker and the work was carried out to a higher standard compared with my previous experience of the manufacturer's own service centre.

Homer wrote: »
    Maintenance service
    Cleaning and lubrication of the balance wheel and escapement, checking the movement and watch functions. Cleaning the bracelet and case, replacement of gaskets/seals.

Complete Overhaul
    Complete dismantling of the movement and cleaning/replacing where necessary of any components. Same cleaning and polishing of the case and or bracelet and seals/gaskets replaced.

It's basically the difference between a quick clean and lube and a full dismantling of the movement.

Ah I see.

To be honest I would see the full service at 750 better value than the maintenance service at 350.

Also OP the changing of the hands may be optional work and is probably adding 80-100 euro of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Hi,

I made contact with the sales guy at the AD and he was taken back at the price as well. He is going to check and see exactly what is being quoted for.

Have many forum members used Emily at watchrepairs.ie for this type of watch or other mechanicals? Wasnt aware of her service prior to my original post. If her service is good quality and value then I guess it would make sense to keep it within the country. Where is she based?

Anthony.....

Emily is based in Vicarstown, Co Laois, I'm not sure if she still takes in watches at South William Street. Best bet is to contact her at http://www.watchrepairs.ie/contact.html.

• Advertisement

Anjobe wrote: »
    Emily is based in Vicarstown, Co Laois, I'm not sure if she still takes in watches at South William Street. Best bet is to contact her at http://www.watchrepairs.ie/contact.html.
    :)
    Thanks for the info. I will wait and see what the AD says and make a decision after that.
    Have you used her business for service/repair work?

Anthony.....

Yes (see post#7), and I will be doing so again this summer.

Yes (see post#7), and I will be doing so again this summer.

Need to remember what I read. Old age is a b***h.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Anthony.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

To put these prices in some context, a "complete overhaul" as described here is what Emily at watchrepairs.ie will do for €160 (€230 for a chrono).

She won't refinish the watch like breitling to be fair

It will come back as new from them

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

893bet wrote: »
    Also OP the changing of the hands may be optional work and is probably adding 80-100 euro of the cost.

Are Breitling hands not single use only - when removed as part of a service they have to be replaced with new ones .

Cyrus wrote: »
    She won't refinish the watch like breitling to be fair

It will come back as new from them

Hi,

The watch is excellent condition and is well looked after. It still has a high shine and has been cleaned properly since purchase. It has only been worn about a week in five so I dont think that a full polish will improve it much.
    I dropped it to the AD to adjust the regulation only. I thought I would be quoted for that only and maybe offered additional services eg polishing. I appreciate that parts may be required to regulate the watch correctly.

I have still not received a call back from the AD regarding what is being quoted for. I find this disappointing considering my past purchases.

Thanks for all the help.

Anthony.....

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Are Breitling hands not single use only - when removed as part of a service they have to be replaced with new ones .

yes

most brands replace the hands at service time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

They are single use. Replaced when even they are removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

yes

most brands replace the hands at service time
    breanach78 wrote: »
    They are single use. Replaced when even they are removed.

That's what I thought , 893bet made a reference about changing them being optional .

That's what I thought , 893bet made a reference about changing them being optional .

I wasn't sure.

I am drawing attention to the fact that some of the work might be optional and taking it out would reduce cost.

• Advertisement

I wasn't sure.

I am drawing attention to the fact that some of the work might be optional and taking it out would reduce cost.

100% it is with Breitling. Independents may offer it as it may be difficult to get the parts.
    Personally I would not get a Breitling serviced outside of Breitling. Also independent work will prob be non breitling parts as breiltng do not sell parts outside of their network. Any independent work/parts done previous to a breitling service will be charged to replace as understandably breitling could not warranty it.

Did OP try keanes in Cork or weirs in Dublin? From memory both are authoritied to carry out work in house.

breanach78 wrote: »
    100% it is with Breitling. Independents may offer it as it may be difficult to get the parts.
    Personally I would not get a Breitling serviced outside of Breitling. Also independent work will prob be non breitling parts as breiltng do not sell parts outside of their network. Any independent work/parts done previous to a breitling service will be charged to replace as understandably breitling could not warranty it.

Did OP try keanes in Cork or weirs in Dublin? From memory both are authoritied to carry out work in house.

Hi,

I had a chat with the AD yesterday regarding the cost of the service on the Breitlilng. They can reduce the price to €675 from €760. The service involves a complete strip down of the watch, ultrasonic cleaning, oiling, parts replacement if needed, rebuild and full polish. Watch will be as new. As previously mentioned by other posters, the hands cannot be reused once they are removed from the shaft.
    Their own watchmaker would not undertake this work as it is one of Breitlings more complicated movements. I discussed the possibility of an independent service being undertaken and they echoed the comments of breanach78 above, that the parts would not be sourced from Breitling and the service would not be approved in the event of a return to Breitling in the future.

I am beginning to think that a Breitling service is my only and possibly best option.

Thanks,
    Anthony.....

Pandybelly wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a chat with the AD yesterday regarding the cost of the service on the Breitlilng. They can reduce the price to €675 from €760. The service involves a complete strip down of the watch, ultrasonic cleaning, oiling, parts replacement if needed, rebuild and full polish. Watch will be as new. As previously mentioned by other posters, the hands cannot be reused once they are removed from the shaft.
    Their own watchmaker would not undertake this work as it is one of Breitlings more complicated movements. I discussed the possibility of an independent service being undertaken and they echoed the comments of breanach78 above, that the pa
    rts would not be sourced from Breitling and the service would not be approved in the event of a return to Breitling in the future.

I am beginning to think that a Breitling service is my only and possibly best option.

Thanks,
    Anthony.....

What did they take out to reduce the price?

What did they take out to reduce the price?

IMO your as well off get it done. As they say it will be life new. Don't forget to get them to stamp the service book!

Enjoy it when it gets back and update this to let us know if you are happy with the results.

Hi,

It will be a while before I get it done. Holiday to be paid for and a new wall around the house costing €4k to be built. There are always things in life that some people (wife) feel are more important then servicing a watch. :rolleyes:

I am told the price reduction is their costs on the service. I presume time, shipping, regular customer discount, etc. Whatever the reason, money off is good.

Thanks for all the help.

Anthony.....

Hi,

It will be a while before I get it done. Holiday to be paid for and a new wall around the house costing €4k to be built. There are always things in life that some people (wife) feel are more important then servicing a watch. :rolleyes:

I am told the price reduction is their costs on the service. I presume time, shipping, regular customer discount, etc. Whatever the reason, money off is good.

Thanks for all the help.

Anthony.....

Have you contacted breitling UK direct for a price ?

Have you contacted breitling UK direct for a price ?

Didnt contact Breitling UK. I thought that a major strip down was condcuted in Switzerland and hence it would be the same price regardless.
    Also, I didnt want to be responsible for shipping etc. At least if I go through the AD and it goes pear shaped I would expect to have some comeback.

Anthony....

Didnt contact Breitling UK. I thought that a major strip down was condcuted in Switzerland and hence it would be the same price regardless.
    Also, I didnt want to be responsible for shipping etc. At least if I go through the AD and it goes pear shaped I would expect to have some comeback.

Anthony....

Might be worth calling them just in case to compare the price

Just visited Breitling website and found this maintenace price list:-
    http://www.breitling.com/multimedia/pdf/sav/sav-480.pdf
    Chronograph With Complications £595 approx €830. Maybe I should not complain too much.

Anthony.....

• Advertisement

Just visited Breitling website and found this maintenace price list:-
    http://www.breitling.com/multimedia/pdf/sav/sav-480.pdf
    Chronograph With Complications £595 approx €830. Maybe I should not complain too much.

Anthony.....

Cool at least you know now the price is fair

Advertisement