Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Physics 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion

Options
  • 26-01-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

- Monochromatic light/resistivity of a wire Sect A (two of the big three exps and haven't come up in a good while esp the latter!!)
    - Heat exp? It's been a while

All conjecture, I know someone who writes the exams and the general guidelines for "predictions" is don't do them obviously, but if you're going to, don't look so much at "patterns" but at 1. what was answered terribly at OL, they then ask it at HL because they suspect the teachers aren't teaching it well (same for what was answered badly last year on HL) and 2. have a gander at the chief examiner's report if you were lucky enough to do a subject that got one last year, they're usually pretty indicative of what they'll ask again

Again, all conjecture, have a bit of cop on and don't leave yourself bare anywhere! best of luck to everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Physics: I think the mechanics long question might be on moments and torque. Pressure and flotation hasn't been up in a very long time either. Thinking the nuclear question might involve radioactivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

For phyics heat experiment , biology viruses and cells chapters , maybe endocrine as long question (pleaseeee LOL) physics heat experiment, English othello could be a female character question , chemistry chromatography , experiment iron tablet , clove oil

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shazwazz927

I don't see a Physic thread for 2015 predictions (well a good one). So fell free to post your hot tips below. I'm very interested to see what people are thinking will come up. Though I know Physics is an exam where literally everything and anything can come up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've moved some physics predictions from this thread to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Physics is definitely one of the hardest subjects to predict as there really isn't a pattern at all, which is good in a way.

For Section A I say that because a heat experiment hasn't appeared since 2010, there is a higher chance of one of those appearing. For the Mechanics experiment, possibly F proportional to A and maybe G by free fall. The Waves/Light/Sound experiment that everyone seems to be saying is Monochromatic and possibly Frequency related to length and tension. For Electricity, resistivity or an I/V related one. Honestly, there are only 24 experiments and you'd be foolish to leave one out.

Section B is virtually impossible to predict. For Mechanics I am guessing either Hooke's Law or Circular Motion, for W/L/S one related to either Optics or Sound. After that, no clue. All of these are from just going through past papers and seeing what is popular and hasn't appeared in recent years.

You're better off preparing what you're good at rather than relying from predictions from fellow students.

If you learn the 24 experiments, Mechanics, W/L/S, Modern Physics and the option, you'll be grand. I'm studying Electricity and Heat on top of these but I have known people who got on well while leaving those two sections out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Just a few small predictions:

Heat experiment in Section A
    Simple Harmonics motion
    The Doppler effect
    Thermionic/Photoelectric emission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Troxck wrote: »
    Physics is definitely one of the hardest subjects to predict as there really isn't a pattern at all, which is good in a way.

I don't agree at all. The structure of the paper is very similar every year. Aside from the experiments (where there is always one from mechanics and one from electricity), there's 1.5 x mechanics, 1/1.5 x electricity, usually 1 x modern physics and x 1.5 sound/waves and light. Plus the option. Within each section, there are only a handful of topics that can make up a full question and they don't normally repeat. Mechanics generally alternates between planetary motion and a question involving newton's second law or equations of motion. There are other trends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Can you be asked to label or describe the function of parts of the eye

OMGeary wrote: »
    Can you be asked to label or describe the function of parts of the eye

Yes amd No, we do have to know the functions of certain parts. It usually comes up with the power of a lens etc. Its not a major part but look over it.

By the way, what's your plan of action for the exam, what questions do you plan on answering? For the experiments, I'm hoping for Mechanics, Electricity and WLS. For Section B I will hope to do Q5, 12, 10(a), hope for a Modern Physics and hope for an Electricity. I could and probably will swap Q5 for the Mechanics.

By the way, what's your plan of action for the exam, what questions do you plan on answering?

Don't really have a plan. Will pick the 3 nicest experiments and try for the forth if I have time.
    Will definitely Q5 and 12 plus whatever mechanics questions come up. Will probably do the particle physics and then just pick what ever else looks nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Great Disapointments

My teacher is predicting gravity due to free fall, latent heat experiments and resistivity of wire experiment
    He's convinced that there will a light question and that the nuclear physics will be somehow tied up with radiation and x rays
    He said he's hoping for a nice particle physics question but it's looking like they'll make it harder as its a guaranteed question and they want to make you work for the marks

My teacher is predicting gravity due to free fall, latent heat experiments and resistivity of wire experiment
    He's convinced that there will be a light question and that the nuclear physics will be somehow tied up with radiation and x rays
    He said he's hoping for a nice particle physics question but it's looking like they'll make it harder as its a guaranteed question and they want to make you work for the marks

Our teacher has said the same experiments would come up. I really hope a nice WLS experiment comes up too as I am terrible and the Heat Experiments.

For modern Physics, the last few years have been focussed on fusion/fission so I suppose they will go back to the electron.

For WLS our teacher says possibly a lens one or to do with sound, I hope he's wrong, I hate them!

Anyone making any headway with the derivations? I have maybe 2/3 learnt...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Right lads, these were basically the predictions my teacher hopes will come up this year;

Practical experiments;
    Resistivity of wire has a good chance.
    Freefall/gravitational
    Thermistor OR a metal exp
    A heat experiment is definitely one to study!

Long questions;
    Lenses could come up
    An atomic OR electron question
    Electromagnetic full question!
    Electrostatics would be one too
    He's been concerned about the Vann De Graff generator so study a question on that!
    The eye hasn't come up in a ages..
    Snells window
    Doppler effect(long q)
    The definition of Ampere & how to demonstrate it is one to watch out!!!
    Thermionic emission
    Einstein's photoelectric effect
    I'd study Wheatstone's bridge too! Hasn't been asked for a while!

Lads don't just rely on the topics I mentioned above, my teacher just gave us stuff that hasn't been asked for quite some time :p

In return can someone pls tell me the list of definite derivations a higher level physics paper could be asked?? Thanks a million! :D

I'm pretty sure this is accurate. Got this off teacher in Christmas course grind:

V=u + at
    S=ut +.5t*2
    V*2=u*2 + 2as
    F=ma
    V=rw
    G=Gm/R*2
    T*2 =4pier*2r*3 all over GM
    Nlamda=dsin(theta)
    R=R1 + R2
    The inverse of above
    F=qvb (what?! That's on it!)

I'm not sure how accurate this list is. I think there's other things he didn't mention such as a=w*2s. The syllabus on Curriculumonline.ie has the derivations anyways as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Alright! Thanks a million!

I'm pretty sure this is accurate. Got this off teacher in Christmas course grind:

V=u + at
    S=ut +.5t*2
    V*2=u*2 + 2as
    F=ma
    V=rw
    G=Gm/R*2
    Nlamda=dsin(theta)
    R=R1 + R2
    The inverse of above

I'm not sure how accurate this list is. I think there's other things he didn't mention such as a=w*2s. The syllabus on Curriculumonline.ie has the derivations anyways as well.

lc2015x wrote: »
    Right lads, these were basically the predictions my teacher hopes will come up this year;

Practical experiments;
    Resistivity of wire has a good chance.
    Freefall/gravitational
    Thermistor OR a metal exp
    A heat experiment is definitely one to study!

Long questions;
    Lenses could come up
    An atomic OR electron question
    Electromagnetic full question!
    Electrostatics would be one too
    He's been concerned about the Vann De Graff generator so study a question on that!
    The eye hasn't come up in a ages..
    Snells window
    Doppler effect(long q)
    The definition of Ampere & how to demonstrate it is one to watch out!!!
    Thermionic emission
    Einstein's photoelectric effect
    I'd study Wheatstone's bridge too! Hasn't been asked for a while!

Lads don't just rely on the topics I mentioned above, my teacher just gave us stuff that hasn't been asked for quite some time :p

In return can someone pls tell me the list of definite derivations a higher level physics paper could be asked?? Thanks a million! :D

If you go to http://thephysicsteacher.ie/leavingcertphysicsrevision.html and download the revision guide it has all the derivations

V=u + at
    S=ut +.5t*2
    V*2=u*2 + 2as
    F=ma
    V=rw
    G=Gm/R*2
    Nlamda=dsin(theta)
    R=R1 + R2
    The inverse of above

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=0VhsVbz-HqvY7AaMx4KICg&url=http://lawlessteaching.eu/physics/Derivations.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAB&usg=AFQjCNHCwzs45SfQvjKtZPalx_SIcfcsqw

The F=qvb is very simple. Its force on a moving charge.

You "consider a section of conductor of length L through which a current I is flowing"

So, I=q/t q=It and V=L/t L=vt.

F=ILB, F=(q/t)(vt)(B)
    F=BQV

F=nqvB

n=1

F=qvB.

This is off the top of my head so mistakes have been made probably!

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=0VhsVbz-HqvY7AaMx4KICg&url=http://lawlessteaching.eu/physics/Derivations.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAB&usg=AFQjCNHCwzs45SfQvjKtZPalx_SIcfcsqw

The F=qvb is very simple. Its force on a moving charge.

You "consider a section of conductor of length L through which a current I is flowing"

So, I=q/t q=It and V=L/t L=vt.

F=ILB, F=(q/t)(vt)(B)
    F=BQV

F=nqvB

n=1

F=qvB.

This is off the top of my head so mistakes have been made probably!

Thanks a million! That's really a really handy document :) yeah we've never used that equation before never mind derived it, I just saw it by chance in some notes thing I had for electron theory I think.

Thanks a million! That's really a really handy document :) yeah we've never used that equation before never mind derived it, I just saw it by chance in some notes thing I had for electron theory I think.

Electricity/Electromagnetics is my favourite section so that's why I know it.

The derivations aren't too bad really!

Electricity/Electromagnetics is my favourite section so that's why I know it.

The derivations aren't too bad really!

Lol I'm the complete opposite! I'm doing everything but electricity, unless you call electrostatics part of electricity. I always found electricity to be quite confusing and I prefer sticking to the maths and modern physics sections.

• Advertisement

Lol I'm the complete opposite! I'm doing everything but electricity, unless you call electrostatics part of electricity. I always found electricity to be quite confusing and I prefer sticking to the maths and modern physics sections.

I seem to be the only person who actually enjoys the Electricity section. My friend and I wanted to do Applied Electricity instead of Particle Physics but our teacher always taught option (a) so we just got over it.

I like Mechanics but more so the SHM/Hooke's Law and Circular Motion sections.

Am I the only one starting to worry about the exam on Monday? Inreslly hope its nice, I'm aiming for a B1 at least...

Anyone have any last minute tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Am I the only one starting to worry about the exam on Monday? Inreslly hope its nice, I'm aiming for a B1 at least...

our teachers says exam questions are key just keep practicing all of them they repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Krydan

Although I am able for any experiment that comes up, I'm guessing that the experiments will be:

-Free fall
    -Resistivity of wire
    -Monochromatic Light
    -Latent heat of fusion

Would I be right in thinking so?

And yes, doing all the exam questions over and over is the best way to prepare for the physics exam in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Pick your questions wisely. I completely avoided the section B mechanics section in last years exam and still managed to get an A.

Make sure to read the questions carefully as they are unlabeled.

Have the theory known inside out and take your time with the calculations!

Do the easy questions like the short questions, particle physics etc..

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Pick your questions wisely. I completely avoided the section B mechanics section in last years exam and still managed to get an A.

Make sure to read the questions carefully as they are unlabeled.

Have the theory known inside out and take your time with the calculations!

Do the easy questions like the short questions, particle physics etc..

I'm planning on avoiding the Mechanics Section B. I had to do it in the mocks since the Q5 was horrible and we didn't have Particle Physics done at that time.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

how hard would it be to get a C1-B3?

Elemonator wrote: »
    how hard would it be to get a C1-B3?

Nail the experiments, definitions, demos and bulky theory!

It also depends how much work you have put in the last two years...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Barry1000

Lads I failed the pre with 34% but have put in a good amount of work the last few months. I'll got at it hard this weekend. I'm good at maths if that makes a difference, chances of me getting a C1 ?

• Advertisement

Barry1000 wrote: »
    Lads I failed the pre with 34% but have put in a good amount of work the last few months. I'll got at it hard this weekend. I'm good at maths if that makes a difference, chances of me getting a C1 ?

Just have a good exam strategy and have a decent idea of what questions you'll attempt. My friend went from an E to a C2 with putting little effort in and he wouldn't have been strong with Maths.

You've put the effort in, you'll be fine!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement