Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rules on CIDs?

Options
  • 17-05-2015 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

So I'm just curious how this is playing out for everyone? We've got a situation where three positions are being almagamated into one larger post this summer in the readvertisement so two will be out of a job. And does anyone know if the old rules apply, that if one of those three gets it then they would be CIDable at the end of next year or would it be the end of the following year since it's essentially a brand new full time position being advertised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

My understanding is that if one of those 3 people gets the job, they would be due a CID at the end of the year, assuming they then were offered hours for a third year in the school and their CID would be based on the hours of their second year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Tough in the short term but the move towards one proper decent job in place of three bitty contracts would seem a good thing overall.

In my school the changes mean two people covering career breaks will be given full CID next year, which is great news. They are so lucky to have the career break hours this year as these are shifted around amongst part-timers every year and do not relate to subject qualifications or anything.

The knock-on effect has been that all but one job share, and career breaks, have been refused for next year stating new circular as reason. Causing warfare at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Definitely a good thing in terms of splitting contracts but we do still have some short hour contracts being advertised and an odd one in that career break/maternity/job share hours are all short of the totals they should be. Eg the job share is two job shares making a 22hr position that's being advertised as 18

Looking at jobs on education posts at the moment, the majority of them seem to be with decent hours and quite a few are 22 hours. It hasn't been like that in quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

sitstill wrote: »
    Looking at jobs on education posts at the moment, the majority of them seem to be with decent hours and quite a few are 22 hours. It hasn't been like that in quite a while.

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. They're probably gone by now anyway...{ furiously typing the webpage address now...}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

If you have a cid, what happens if applying for position in another school and successful? Are you put back on a new contract ...does cid rollover??

Tough in the short term but the move towards one proper decent job in place of three bitty contracts would seem a good thing overall.

In my school the changes mean two people covering career breaks will be given full CID next year, which is great news. They are so lucky to have the career break hours this year as these are shifted around amongst part-timers every year and do not relate to subject qualifications or anything.

The knock-on effect has been that all but one job share, and career breaks, have been refused for next year stating new circular as reason. Causing warfare at the moment!

How do you mean hours are shifted around, what about contracts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya there's a few there alright. I seem to remember a few of those same subjects offered in the same schools a while ago!

Would it be correct in assuming that the 2 year CID 'reinterview/readvertise' scenario is taking place now? So if a teacher is applying for a CID their 'job' has to be advertised (hence why there's a lot of fixed-terms!).

How do you mean hours are shifted around, what about contracts?

All the "extra" hours (career break, job share, NBSS etc) are just divied up among part timers regardless of subjects. One could have job share for the Irish teacher one year and career break for the PE teacher the next - all the while teaching totally different (your own) subjects. It's a complete shambles but those whose contracts happened to say career break this year have lucked out! BOM determined not to be caught out again however - no career breaks allowed anymore (one exception for father of dying child). Job shares all cancelled/refused too citing Pat King's comments regarding implementation of new circular even though they are not mentioned in document.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

All the "extra" hours (career break, job share, NBSS etc) are just divied up among part timers regardless of subjects. One could have job share for the Irish teacher one year and career break for the PE teacher the next - all the while teaching totally different (your own) subjects. It's a complete shambles but those whose contracts happened to say career break this year have lucked out! BOM determined not to be caught out again however - no career breaks allowed anymore (one exception for father of dying child). Job shares all cancelled/refused too citing Pat King's comments regarding implementation of new circular even though they are not mentioned in document.

Your BOM is acting the maggot. If someone is awarded a CID due to someone being on a career break they will only be employed in that school until the original teacher returns. Then they will be subject to redeployment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Would it be correct in assuming that the 2 year CID 'reinterview/readvertise' scenario is taking place now? So if a teacher is applying for a CID their 'job' has to be advertised (hence why there's a lot of fixed-terms!).

Definitely lots of this - from speaking to people in different schools a lot of people have to be re-interviewed, includes anyone in the first year of an RPT. Our school has several jobs advertised at the minute and only one of them is 'real'.

Your BOM is acting the maggot. If someone is awarded a CID due to someone being on a career break they will only be employed in that school until the original teacher returns. Then they will be subject to redeployment

Yes, there is an almighty row afoot at the moment and DES and Union have confirmed that the circular should not affect applications for career break and has nothing whatsoever to do with job share. Don't know how it will all be resolved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not necessarily. If there is nowhere to redeploy the newer teacher, they'll have to keep them. It could result in another teacher that is not CID being let go to accommodate the new CID teacher and the teacher returning from career break. The report that came out last year that said the two year CID would be implemented immediately and that in the medium term (and hasn't been done yet) that the teacher returning from career break would be the one to be redeployed and the newer teacher kept on.

I welcome shorter CIDs but I'm skeptical on how they will pan out when they are awarded to a teacher who is covering another teacher's job, so essentially the job is not newly created.

Not necessarily. If there is nowhere to redeploy the newer teacher, they'll have to keep them. It could result in another teacher that is not CID being let go to accommodate the new CID teacher and the teacher returning from career break. The report that came out last year that said the two year CID would be implemented immediately and that in the medium term (and hasn't been done yet) that the teacher returning from career break would be the one to be redeployed and the newer teacher kept on.

I welcome shorter CIDs but I'm skeptical on how they will pan out when they are awarded to a teacher who is covering another teacher's job, so essentially the job is not newly created.

Any idea on when the 'medium term' will be and they will redeploy those returning from career break?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

If you have a cid, what happens if applying for position in another school and successful? Are you put back on a new contract ...does cid rollover??

No, you forfeit your CID and have to work it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It is not the returning one who will be redeployed by my reading of the circular.

Any idea on when the 'medium term' will be and they will redeploy those returning from career break?

No, there has been no circular about that aspect yet. My own opinion is that if the teacher covering career break is covering the break long enough to get a CID then they will retain the position. That's how I'd imagine it will pan out.

It is not the returning one who will be redeployed by my reading of the circular.

I know that, but the recommendation in the Ward Report is in the long term. The immediate term is for the new teacher to be put on the redeployment panel if necessary. So it might happen a year or two down the road.

I recommend that consideration be given to changing the terms and conditions of career
    breaks in future in order to provide that it is the teacher on career break who is placed on the
    Redeployment Panel upon resumption of employment
    after a designated number of years on
    career break. I recommend that a similar provision be incorporated into the terms and
    conditions of secondment.

http://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Education-Reports/Report-to-the-Minister-for-Education-and-Skills-of-the-Chairperson-of-the-Expert-Group-on-Fixed-Term-and-Part-Time-Employment-in-Primary-and-Second-Level-Education-in-Ireland.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Alqua wrote: »
    Definitely lots of this - from speaking to people in different schools a lot of people have to be re-interviewed, includes anyone in the first year of an RPT. Our school has several jobs advertised at the minute and only one of them is 'real'.

They're all real jobs. As in there will be a job there for somebody. It doesn't mean that the person in the job at the minute will get it. Its like a ruthless form of 'performance management'.

If you ask me this circular is bad news in the long run. Tightening up on the short contracts with the three year cid would have been better. Far too easy to shaft people now.

If the provision for giving hours to those in the school rather than to a new person first had been added to the three year CID I think it would have been fairer all round.

Don't forget that an awful lot of now permanent teachers starts off as TWT and were interviewed for their permanent positions after a few years. It worked well before the CID legislation was brought in, that actually had the opposite effect to what was intended and disimproved job security.

Its at least ten years since someone in my school was made permanent. Everyone else is CID after waiting the 4 years, then three now it'll be two!!

A teacher in my school was offered a cid fir full hours from Sept even though she wouldn't be 'entitled' to it for another year. Bottom line is that she's needed next year and would qualify then so why waste time? Its a pity this doesn't happen more often.

It's great to hear that there are schools out there that are awarding contracts based on common sense.

I'd be worried that some unscrupulous principals/BOMs/ETBs will just use this reinterview after 1 year thing as a way of getting rid of people for no reason and have a constant conveyor belt of teachers working on 1 year contracts.

• Advertisement

It's great to hear that there are schools out there that are awarding contracts based on common sense.

I'd be worried that some unscrupulous principals/BOMs/ETBs will just use this reinterview after 1 year thing as a way of getting rid of people for no reason and have a constant conveyor belt of teachers working on 1 year contracts.

Ya I'm kinda wondering if that why the job in ours was repackaged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Maybe they're just being sensible. No point having a load of part time people on cid long term when one person is needed

Maybe they're just being sensible. No point having a load of part time people on cid long term when one person is needed

True. Having said that ETBs aren't exactly known for the sense of that idea!

To be honest I'd prefer to see 1 person on 18 hours than 3 people on 6 hours and constantly broke. It also gives a realistic expectation of how many jobs are out there rather than a school having a 'staff of 40' but a teacher allocation of 20.

To be honest I'd prefer to see 1 person on 18 hours than 3 people on 6 hours and constantly broke. It also gives a realistic expectation of how many jobs are out there rather than a school having a 'staff of 40' but a teacher allocation of 20.

Oh trust me I would too but given the history of ETBs with contracts it wouldn't actually surprise me to see this job given to someone new and 'more suitable' under the guise of new rules as opposed to any of the current staff in order to avoid CIDs. Rinse and repeat next year.

Then again maybe I'm cynical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

They're all real jobs. As in there will be a job there for somebody. It doesn't mean that the person in the job at the minute will get it. Its like a ruthless form of 'performance management'

Absolutely - and that is the cruel aspect of the circular. Just in this case, I am pretty sure that the teachers in question are being kept on.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    No, you forfeit your CID and have to work it up again.

So you can't ever move without a swap? Can you be offered permanent any more?

So you can't ever move without a swap? Can you be offered permanent any more?

You can move within your ETB and you retain your cid. If you are redeployed you can retain your cid. If you lose your job and apply for a new job you are back to zero

You can move within your ETB and you retain your cid. If you are redeployed you can retain your cid. If you lose your job and apply for a new job you are back to zero

Non ETB?

• Advertisement

Non ETB?

You can't bring your CID with you if you move through your own choice - unless it is within an ETB and with the agreement of head office. Being redeployed you would keep it whether employed by ETB or DES. It's the same as for permanency.

Advertisement