Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ZV or Year registration plate?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have noticed a small number of classics still sporting their uk reg plates doing the rounds.

Must not be as strict on the ZV/County plates as I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A lot of these are driven on trade policies, so no notification to revenue from insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

aujopimur wrote: »
    A lot of these are driven on trade policies, so no notification to revenue from insurance companies.

No doubt a small number are driven on trade policies. However, I too have noticed many being driven on private insurance policies for many months (years in some cases...especially early cars, 1920's, 1930's, etc). My classic was driven - by the previous owner - for 10 months on UK plates (on a private policy)?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭jacool

Type 17 wrote: »
    They're up to ZV 10832 today, according to Cartell records.
    I've seen a ZV over 40000, in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Silvera wrote: »
    No doubt a small number are driven on trade policies. However, I too have noticed many being driven on private insurance policies for many months (years in some cases...especially early cars, 1920's, 1930's, etc). My classic was driven - by the previous owner - for 10 months on UK plates (on a private policy)?!

Yeah, early cars, as in pre WW2 ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jacool wrote: »
    Ruins the look I think, vintage plates should be small digits if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

aujopimur wrote: »

Trade policies should notify of each vehicle when used on www.nfd.ie.
    Then again if the number plate recognition cameras are not turned on if even available to gardai its not going to make much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Came across a Volkswagen Kombi last week in the parade. The reg was on a black pressed background. The number is 57-C-40002. It looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

jacool wrote: »

There are allocated batches for each licencing authority. Dublin is still in the 10k range.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056460411

Mine (Cork) is 26k odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should have restarted the system and went with ZV followed by letter of county and then started off numbering...ZVD 123, ZVLK 123 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

They should have restarted the system and went with ZV followed by letter of county and then started off numbering...ZVD 123, ZVLK 123 etc.

Thats one option.
    Another is to reverse the system (as was done with pre-87 plates) -

100 ZV
    101 ZV
    102 ZV

etc etc etc

Low plates (e.g. 100 ZV to 999 ZV) could be held back for pre-WW2 vehicles.

As it stands we will see ZV 100000+ in the coming years as the powers-that-be dont seem to have any interest in putting an updated / new system in place.

Advertisement