Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ZV or Year registration plate?!

Options
  • 14-05-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Bringing my imported 1985 Porsche 924 to the NCT tomorrow to pay VRT and get a licence plate number. I have the option to get a ZV or an 85 plate. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which would look better or add more value to the car?

I'm aware you can go from 85 to ZV but not the other way round. I also heard 5 digit ZV plates can look terrible....I have no clue which one to pick.

ZV or year? 52 votes

ZV
    0% 0 votes
    Year
    100% 52 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

In my opinion, ZVs look terrible on new(ish) cars, i.e an 85 924. A year plate would look much nicer on your car. Speaking from experience, as someone who has owned his fair share of classics, a few of them imports, year plates always look better. ZVs are much too common.

But, it is completely down to personal preference. Neither will really add/ take away from the value of your car

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hard choice, the ZV has the advantage that you don't need to have the IRL or normal colour you can go old style pressed black plates. If it's Dublin will you not end up with a 120k D plate or have they lower numbers for pre 87 cars, I think a 120k Dublin plate would look terrible on a car of that age.

Hard choice, the ZV has the advantage that you don't need to have the IRL or normal colour you can go old style pressed black plates. If it's Dublin will you not end up with a 120k D plate or have they lower numbers for pre 87 cars, I think a 120k Dublin plate would look terrible on a car of that age.

You don't need an IRL identifier on a pre-92 plate. Could go for black plate, white, white with red rear etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd grudgingly take the ZV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Legally you should use a current style plate what ever reg. you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

ZV and leave people to guess what age it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, as you have options I took the liberty to add a poll to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Go for the year based one - you can switch it for a ZV if you don't like it. You can't switch from a ZV to a year based though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I'd much prefer the year plate. Probably because 90% of cars have the zv plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ZV plate kinda makes the car look timeless.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ZV plate kinda makes the car look timeless.

They really look crap on anything this new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

saw an AE86 with 84 D 12000xx yesterday, looked rubbish on it, I'd go with ZV on black pressed plates if I were going that road.

BMJD wrote: »
    saw an AE86 with 84 D 12000xx yesterday, looked rubbish on it, I'd go with ZV on black pressed plates if I were going that road.

And just get ZV 120xxx?

And just get ZV 120xxx?

I didn't think they were doing the 120xxx thing with ZV plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

BMJD wrote: »
    I didn't think they were doing the 120xxx thing with ZV plates

They are.

oh well in that case....who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In my opinion it makes absolutely no difference what the number plate is.
    It's how car looks what matters.
    Number plate is just set of random letters and number which are completely irrelevant and only for identification purposes.
    It hard for me to understand that it could matter for anyone what number plate says, and especially to pay any money for it like some people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Thanks for all the replies. Paid the €200 today and went for the 85D plate. Although I liked the ZV I felt the white 85 suited the car a lot better as its a white & black car.

Need to buy plates now, anyone know for sure if I have to display the IRL identifier or Baile Atha Cliath? Would love to get a white plate with just the 85-D-123456 and nothing else.

eric90000 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Paid the €200 today and went for the 85D plate. Although I liked the ZV I felt the white 85 suited the car a lot better as its a white & black car.

Need to buy plates now, anyone know for sure if I have to display the IRL identifier or Baile Atha Cliath? Would love to get a white plate with just the 85-D-123456 and nothing else.

You will be fine without the IRL identifier. Pre-92 cars never had them when new so do not need them now. Day one plates on my Alto are below, never failed an NCT with them and never had any trouble from law. The same goes for seat belts, it never had them new so it doesn't need them now.

15587_1383725915290086_3712679014785512979_n.jpg?oh=2795c13fca030584fc96d9d2f667e78c&oe=55F1162D

The correct plate to use is the one in use at the time of rereg. most owners just do their own thing, personally I like what ever was in use when it was new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

You will be fine without the IRL identifier. Pre-92 cars never had them when new so do not need them now. Day one plates on my Alto are below, never failed an NCT with them and never had any trouble from law. The same goes for seat belts, it never had them new so it doesn't need them now.

Interesting, when did the seat belt legislation come in to effect here?

mb1725 wrote: »
    Interesting, when did the seat belt legislation come in to effect here?

Front seatbelts in 1971.
    Rear seat belts in 1992.

You will be fine without the IRL identifier. Pre-92 cars never had them when new so do not need them now.

However worth remembering, that in case of such plate (without IRL on blue strip on the side) if you drive abroad you'll need to display something like that in the rear.

Irish_IRL_Oval_Car_Sticker.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Buy a tax book, that fixes everything. It's what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Irrespective of legislation, I always fit seatbelts to my classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

eric90000 wrote: »

Regulations on EU sign and reflectorised material not apply to pre 87 vehicles!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Xenophile wrote: »
    Regulations on EU sign and reflectorised material not apply to pre 87 vehicles!

Pre-1991 for EU sign actually. Pre-87 for reflectorized material.
    However, if we want to get technical ...on second thoughts nah, posters here would only end up debating this here for weeks.

OP, go with plain white plates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Dord wrote: »
    They are.

What ZV plate over 120000 have you seen?

Afaik, they havent exceed 7-digits to date, i.e. 'ZV nnnnn'.

Having said that, if the IVVCC dont sort out a new 'vintage plate' system soon with the govt, they will issue ZV 100000+ plates ...just like they did with ZZ plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Hey folks,

Bit of a thread resurrection - looking to bring in a 1985 car next month - anyone any idea what the ZV numbers are for North Dublin at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

They're up to ZV 10832 today, according to Cartell records.

Advertisement