Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand, Foot & Mouth

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm pretty sure my little girl has it :( We visited a cousins during the week and one of their babies had an unspecified viral illness that turned out to be hfm. I was on hyper alert the last few days but the spots have appeared on my babies hands and mouth this morning. She's been off her food the last few days but I put that down to her getting vaccinated on thursday but now i'm not too sure. Must have a good look in her mouth and see has she blisters. Do I need to take her to the doctor? She's not in any obvious pain or discomfort (although dribbling like mad). Also, how can I minimise the chances of my little boy catching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mackey9387

I'm pretty sure my little girl has it We visited a cousins during the week and one of their babies had an unspecified viral illness that turned out to be hfm. I was on hyper alert the last few days but the spots have appeared on my babies hands and mouth this morning. She's been off her food the last few days but I put that down to her getting vaccinated on thursday but now i'm not too sure. Must have a good look in her mouth and see has she blisters. Do I need to take her to the doctor? She's not in any obvious pain or discomfort (although dribbling like mad). Also, how can I minimise the chances of my little boy catching it?

Constantly was hands and good hygiene is really important to stop the spread. If your child starts to scratch the blisters rash use camomile lotion to easy the itch other than that it's just a waiting game lots and lots of fluids. Coolpops are good as there fluids and eases pain in the mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'm pretty sure my little girl has it :( We visited a cousins during the week and one of their babies had an unspecified viral illness that turned out to be hfm. I was on hyper alert the last few days but the spots have appeared on my babies hands and mouth this morning. She's been off her food the last few days but I put that down to her getting vaccinated on thursday but now i'm not too sure. Must have a good look in her mouth and see has she blisters. Do I need to take her to the doctor? She's not in any obvious pain or discomfort (although dribbling like mad). Also, how can I minimise the chances of my little boy catching it?

Aw no! Very hard to stop the spread. But stringent hand hygiene will help. Wash both children's hands with soap and water after any activities. And do not use the same towels. I had a spare towel in the in the bathroom when my little guy got it which only he used for drying hands and face after washing. We all used the normal hand towel. Try not to let them suck on the same drink if u can help it.

Great thanks girls. She has spots on her thighs now too. Poor thing doesn't seem too put out by it though. Her temperature was 38.5 Thursday night and Friday, I assumed it was because of the vaccinations but thinking now it might have been hfm coming on. It's easy enough to keep their drinks and towels etc separate but they play with the same toys and she puts everything in her mouth. I'll be going round with the Milton wipes for the week :eek:

Spoke to the doctor this morning and he is almost certain it is hfm, however, he will see her if there is no improvement by tomorrow just to rule out chicken pox as she is scratching at her legs and feet. Poor thing had an awful night :( I forgot to ask the Dr, obviously I should keep her away from other kids but should I quarantine her to the house altogether? I wouldn't mind going out for a walk with the buggy but would hate to risk passing it on. Also, do I need to wash bedclothes/jackets/anything else she may have dribbled on regularly?

• Advertisement

Spoke to the doctor this morning and he is almost certain it is hfm, however, he will see her if there is no improvement by tomorrow just to rule out chicken pox as she is scratching at her legs and feet. Poor thing had an awful night :( I forgot to ask the Dr, obviously I should keep her away from other kids but should I quarantine her to the house altogether? I wouldn't mind going out for a walk with the buggy but would hate to risk passing it on. Also, do I need to wash bedclothes/jackets/anything else she may have dribbled on regularly?

Unfortunately you really do have to keep them away from other children as its so contagious. I know creche will accept children after a day or 2 of a HFM diagnosis.... But that's why it spreads like wildfire in creche. We kept our guy out of Montessori for a week as tbh... I didn't want other little ones catching it on my conscience. Having said that they are contagious before they develop the sores and long after... So there's only so much u can do really.

I didn't take mine to playgrounds or anywhere that he would come into contact with other children or where he would be touching things that they would be touching. However, we went on loads of walks in the buggy (it seemed to relieve him a bit and distract him from the pain). I also took him to the beach to build sand castles a few times a few weeks ago when he had it... It's such an open area and he didn't mix with any children apart from his sister there(wouldn't say ud get away with doing that today tho as weather so crap!).

Did both of yours get it Sligo? My little woman is just getting over hers now and this morning my little boy woke up with the rash :( It's typical. I was so careful with hand washing and cleaning the toys between them etc but it looks now like I shouldn't have bothered, I should have just let her pass it on to him ASAP :(

Did both of yours get it Sligo? My little woman is just getting over hers now and this morning my little boy woke up with the rash :( It's typical. I was so careful with hand washing and cleaning the toys between them etc but it looks now like I shouldn't have bothered, I should have just let her pass it on to him ASAP :(

My little girl didn't get it Jamir Scarce Pointer. But it was in her crèche and not in my guys Montessori. From my little knowledge of it, some children can get it and you would barely notice. While others have a terrible time with it! I actually wonder if my little girl picked up the virus from her crèche and didn't get it too badly but passed it onto my guy. Either that or my guy picked it up from somewhere else and my little girl was just lucky she didn't get it from him.

I hope you guys r ok and all will be better soon x

Thanks Sligo it's an awful dose :( Even though my little girl didn't seem too ill with it, the rash looked so uncomfortable and sore :( You were so lucky that L didn't get it, I thought we had gotten away with it with J until today. In future I'm just going to let them infect each other when they catch something and let them both get it out of their systems at the same time. Lol that probably sounds awful but we've had a never ending circle of sickness recently and it seems that as one child gets better, the other one catches it :rolleyes:

Thanks Sligo it's an awful dose :( Even though my little girl didn't seem too ill with it, the rash looked so uncomfortable and sore :( You were so lucky that L didn't get it, I thought we had gotten away with it with J until today. In future I'm just going to let them infect each other when they catch something and let them both get it out of their systems at the same time. Lol that probably sounds awful but we've had a never ending circle of sickness recently and it seems that as one child gets better, the other one catches it :rolleyes:

Yea I know... It's awful when it just seems likes one long cycle of sickness. That's why I hate the winter months! Mine always get very bad for ages in January through to February/ March.... I'm dreading it!

• Advertisement

It's over a week now since my toddler came out in the rash and it's starting to clear now thanks be to jaysus. I know it's transmittable through their poo for a few weeks but does anyone know how long it's contagious via saliva? And how long it lasts on surfaces? I can't get a definite answer online and I'm tired of disinfecting all the toys 2-3 tines a day. Also, we are due to have visitors with kids at the weekend and I don't want to risk them getting it if my lad is still contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

It's over a week now since my toddler came out in the rash and it's starting to clear now thanks be to jaysus. I know it's transmittable through their poo for a few weeks but does anyone know how long it's contagious via saliva? And how long it lasts on surfaces? I can't get a definite answer online and I'm tired of disinfecting all the toys 2-3 tines a day. Also, we are due to have visitors with kids at the weekend and I don't want to risk them getting it if my lad is still contagious.

Not sure how long it hangs around in the saliva but I read somewhere it can stay in the poo for 10 weeks :-/ I had to keep my wee man out of nursery for 2 weeks, that was over a month ago. I think it really shook his system and is only getting back to his normal self.
    Can you avoid the visitors? Warn them and let them make the decision?

10 weeks I didn't realise it was that long :eek: Ya I think I'll postpone the visitors so, they know that the lads have it but we all just assumed that 1 week was enough time. One of the adults in our family caught it and the doctor told him to stay indoors and be careful of contamination for one week after the appearance of the rash, but then again adults don't go around dribbling and slobbering and putting everything in their mouth like toddlers do :pac: I would love to know how long it lives on surfaces though, I'm not usually a germophobe but I'm really paranoid about that sort of thing. Imagine spending all that time stuck indoors recovering, only for them to catch it again by licking the stairgate or something :eek:

10 weeks I didn't realise it was that long :eek: Ya I think I'll postpone the visitors so, they know that the lads have it but we all just assumed that 1 week was enough time. One of the adults in our family caught it and the doctor told him to stay indoors and be careful of contamination for one week after the appearance of the rash, but then again adults don't go around dribbling and slobbering and putting everything in their mouth like toddlers do :pac: I would love to know how long it lives on surfaces though, I'm not usually a germophobe but I'm really paranoid about that sort of thing. Imagine spending all that time stuck indoors recovering, only for them to catch it again by licking the stairgate or something :eek:

Mrspostman, honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much after they are clear for a week or so. If they are back to themselves and the rash is gone there's not much more you can do tbh. Inform your visitors that they had it the last 2 weeks but are better now and let ur visitors make the decision whether they visit or not. In regards to your own kids... There are different forms of the virus. As far as I know they can't get reinfected with the same virus once they've had it. For example, my guy can't get reinfected with the virus he just had by slobbering all over his toys again. But he could get a different form of the HFM that another child is carrying next time. If you get what I mean? I would give all the toys and surfaces a good clean one last time then just try and forget about it xx

Advertisement