Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand, Foot & Mouth

Options
  • 13-05-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I think my 2 yr old might have Hand, foot & mouth. He started with high temps on Sunday afternoon, they were up and down, he's bn dribbling like crazy and saying his teeth are sore so we put it down to teething. I counted and he has his full set of teeth. We've had 4 very long days, he's been so irritable. I noticed spots on his bum this morning but again put it down to teething, this evening I noticed spots like blisters on his feet and one on his hand and the backs of his upper legs have a rash. We are going to doc 2moro to be sure that's what it is and to make sure he has no ear infection with it (gets ear infections all the bloody time)

Anyone have experience of this or have any ideas how I can help ease the discomfort for him. I'm giving him nurofen and calpol and bonjella, Sudo cream on his bum and giving him ice pops, yogurts, bananas, milk and water as that's as much as he'll take. He's having terrible tantrums due to the frustration of the pain he's in.

It's never ending, one thing after another. He had chicken pox at Easter and now this!!! Ahhhhhh we need a break from illnesses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

So my son does have HF&M and has ear infections in both ears. On an anti B for the ears, cant give anything for the HF&M other than what i have been given him. I'd imagine he got it in creche, seems to pick up everything. Poor little sausage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

elly123 wrote: »
    So my son does have HF&M and has ear infections in both ears. On an anti B for the ears, cant give anything for the HF&M other than what i have been given him. I'd imagine he got it in creche, seems to pick up everything. Poor little sausage!

Poor little guy. U have my sympathy. My fella got it when he was 14 months old (I was 8 months pregnant at the time). And then I caught it from him. My hand were in bits and felt like they were burning! Avoid acidic things like juices etc as they can sting his mouth. My guy went totally off his food. We just allowed him lots of tv (He was never allowed tv before) on the couch and lots of cuddles. Basically anything that relaxed him as he was very distressed. Jelly and ice cream.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My son got this 3 times last year. It's a virus so there are no antibiotics for it. We just used paracetamol for the fever, and a topical cream for the spots, rigourous hygeine as well to stop it spreading (I also got a mild dose of it the first time before I realised what it was), and just lots of TLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My almost 3 year old is after getting this now... 5 weeks after chickenpox. I'm terrified of my small lady getting it but there's nothing I can do at this stage: she's miserable with it so hoping it doesn't last long.

Ah cyning the poor the thing. Hope she feels better soon. I think we're in sync with the illnesses. My little guy had chicken pox week before yours. With the HF+M he was miserable for pretty much 5-7 days. Its just so unfair that they get sick so often. I asked gp about having bloods done because he is always sick, just to check his immune levels and she said no way, that all his illnesses are just child hood illnesses.

• Advertisement

My 14th month old had immune tests at 6 months and is been referred on to an immunologist now. She is never well: she has hand foot and mouth too... I was assuming she had cold sores and the rash all over was a viral rash but she has blisters on her feet too: she's only out of hospital two days. So now both of mine have it. Sick of sickness!

cyning wrote: »
    My 14th month old had immune tests at 6 months and is been referred on to an immunologist now. She is never well: she has hand foot and mouth too... I was assuming she had cold sores and the rash all over was a viral rash but she has blisters on her feet too: she's only out of hospital two days. So now both of mine have it. Sick of sickness!

Oh god cyning, you really are going through the mill with the sickness. It's hard enough looking after just one sick baba without having two sick at the same time. You must be totally drained yourself. I myself would have a weak immune system I catch everything that's going and I don't just be sick for a day or two I get bad doses when I get sick that's why I asked about getting the bloods. He's not a good eater never has been and that's another reason I asked for the bloods. I put his constant sickess down to fact he's such a poor eater that he's not getting enough nutrients and vitamins.(seen consultant about his eating or lack of, he told us he'll grow out of it) He is also in crèche which doesn't help coz he's catching everything there. But like everyone keeps saying to me, I'm hoping he'll grow out of the poor eating stage and also the sickness stage.

I really hope both your babies get some sleep this evenin, we had to let our little guy sleep in our bed and one of the nights I actually slept on couch with him. Anything to get some sleep!
    The poor little pets, I genuinely feel for you cyning. Its just so exhausting for you and them been sick all the time. Fingers crossed if weather starts to pick we'll have less frequent sickness

My older girl jsn't a great eater but I put her on abidec and iron (she's prone to low iron) and it really helped her appetite.

We had to go with a childminder because creche just wasn't an option with S unfortunately... I hope he picks up soon too it's hard when they pick up everything going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi I think my little guy has hand foot and mouth. He came down with fever yesterday and this morning the rash appeared - first on his feet, but (here's where it seems different to other peoples experiences) now its all over him.

When we called the doc earlier we hadn't yet copped on that it was in his mouth, so the doc just said it sounded like a benign viral infection.

He had been shoving his hand in his mouth the past few days and drooling like crazy but we put it down to teething. He won't let me have a good look but I think there were spots on the roof of his mouth when I looked today and he has developed small coldsore-like sores on his lips.

Most people here mention rash on legs and bum and elbows only...have any of you had kids with HF&M where the rash was all over?
    Tonight is night 2 of fever. We are treating it with baby paracetamol.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I don't know about hand foot and mouth but I would bring him to the doctor on call to get checked.

• Advertisement

Hi I think my little guy has hand foot and mouth. He came down with fever yesterday and this morning the rash appeared - first on his feet, but (here's where it seems different to other peoples experiences) now its all over him.

When we called the doc earlier we hadn't yet copped on that it was in his mouth, so the doc just said it sounded like a benign viral infection.

He had been shoving his hand in his mouth the past few days and drooling like crazy but we put it down to teething. He won't let me have a good look but I think there were spots on the roof of his mouth when I looked today and he has developed small coldsore-like sores on his lips.

Most people here mention rash on legs and bum and elbows only...have any of you had kids with HF&M where the rash was all over?
    Tonight is night 2 of fever. We are treating it with baby paracetamol.

Thanks
    My fella got it all over (all four times he got it, sigh!). Did he have a soft poo in the last week? (that can be a symptom too).

Hi
    Thanks for the replies
    We had him at the doc today and she thinks it could be measles -even though he is 18 months and has had an MMR vaccination.
    I didn't think it would be possible to catch measles once you are vaccinated?
    Anyway, we have to wait for test results to come back now.
    I hope it's not measles as she said if it is, then it will get much worse before it gets better :( Poor little man.
    I'm also 23 weeks pregnant so don't like the idea of measles, but she tells me my blood records show I am immune so I have to try to relax!

The mmr is about 90% effective. Both my girls were covered in a rash with hfm so I hope it's that rather than measles. Hopefully he doesn't get too sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

We've had various forms of HFM so far, one form we only had spots in the mouth, and another where he had a rash all over, and a third time with the actual classic presentation. Pain in the backside that disease.

But it could just be any old virus i guess, most of them seem to present with high fever and a random rash (just had one a few weeks ago, we suspect it was some form of viral meningitis but we dont know as they dont do tests here - they just say ' virus' and send you home with antibiotics (just in case you get a secondary bacterial infection...i presume) and calpol. Husband got it as well and he thought he was going to die...

Thanks all.
    Reading your responses, my money is still on HF&M. The doc seemed to dismiss it on appearance alone.
    He doesn't have the classic blisters, just the rash on his torso and his arms and his knees and lower legs are very spotty. They're angry looking ones aswell. No blisters on the soles of the feet either but I know they are sore because he's gone on his tippy toes a few times. His mouth is the worst - looks like he's covered in coldsores and also on his chin.

But it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse since yesterday thank God.

I don't know if there's a test for hand foot & mouth but the doc has only sent a sample for measles testing - I suppose that's the most serious scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

My two year old was just diagnosed with hand foot and mout. So far he just some spots on his hands and wrist with a 39.6 temp. Doctor said he should be quarantined for 5 days so obviously no childminder for the week. Just wondering how long you all had to keep your children off from crèche/childminder? Was it longer than a week? I know it depends on the severity of the case but just a general guide would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

cant26 wrote: »
    My two year old was just diagnosed with hand foot and mout. So far he just some spots on his hands and wrist with a 39.6 temp. Doctor said he should be quarantined for 5 days so obviously no childminder for the week. Just wondering how long you all had to keep your children off from crèche/childminder? Was it longer than a week? I know it depends on the severity of the case but just a general guide would be great. Thanks.

My son got it about 3/4 months ago and we kept him out for over a week, I think a week about a half all told. He ended up on antiviral medicine as he was quite sick with it. The one that gave it to him in creche was fine within a few days and back once rash disappeared.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we had it last month.

face, hands, feet, legs and arms

the blasted crèche wouldn't take him back for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My girl has it - NHS guidelines are for the kids not to miss out on school. Once they feel well they can go back. My GP wrote a letter to that effect for the creche

Two weeks out of crèche seems like overkill for something that isn't dangerous, just disagreeable.
    My son's pediatrician said there was absolutely no need to keep him out of crèche (the crèche policy pissed me off anyway, he got the bug in the crèche, so other parents knew their kids had it and didn't tell, whereas we got penalised because we were honest with the crèche).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Thanks for the replies. Turns out my sons childminder won't take him for two weeks. She has never heard of it and she is afraid she's going to get it herself or that it will be passed to the other kids. Find it strange that in her line of work she never came across it but I just have to suck it up. She also wants a letter from my gp stating that he is no longer contagious before he can return to her. I don't know if my gp will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My GP had no issue with it and actually printed out the NHS medical guidelines on it and highlighted the part about not being kept out of school to give to the crèche

Just ring and ask -

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

foodaholic wrote: »
    My girl has it - NHS guidelines are for the kids not to miss out on school. Once they feel well they can go back. My GP wrote a letter to that effect for the creche

My doctor wouldn't write a letter and the crèche said HSE guidelines which it states a 9 day exclusion :(

OMFG, I just checked the HSE guideline and there is no exclusion time for Hand, foot and mouth. I am livid. I used 2 weeks holidays for no reason

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Pretty sure S has it too. He's had fluey symptoms since Saturday night and yesterday got the blisters all over his feet and ankles. Today they are on his hands too. He's also drooling, so at first I thought it was teething as he has two teeth left to come but the rash looks just like HFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mackey9387

My son has it he's one and a half. Around his mouth the rash is very bad anyone any suggestions he to help it heal? He is dribbling quite a lot which isn't helping he has had the virus for 4 days now rash on his mouth and bum have been bad for 2 days. Been using canesten cream on his bum as the rash and blisters are so bad. Thankfully he is drinking and still eating small amounts

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Poor babies my little girl has it too , she's really bad over it screamed herself to sleep in some pain , covered in sores all over her mouth and bum .

Feel so bad knowing I can't help her apart from calpol and the likes , at least ice cream kinda helps them

Poor babies my little girl has it too , she's really bad over it screamed herself to sleep in some pain , covered in sores all over her mouth and bum .

Feel so bad knowing I can't help her apart from calpol and the likes , at least ice cream kinda helps them
    Yeah and lots of hugs. My son isn't very huggy but when he had HFM, all he wanted to do all day was snuggle and drink bottles (couldn't eat solid food because of the sores in his mouth).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Hey there, myself and my 15 month old had it 3 weeks ago. He got it first. Very high temperature after a morning at a toddler group, then sick and then the next morning he had spots around his mouth and the line of his nappy. It looked awful. Brought him to the GP and he said he had a throat infection and put him on antibiotics (first time) and cream for rash. No improvement over the weekend, rash all over legs, feet and hands. Went to out of hours GP and they just prescribed another cream. Back to GP on Monday and he sent us into hospital to see a paediatrician as the rash looked infected...they said it's a viral thing called hand, foot and mouth and it just has to fun it's course. He was very sick looking with it. No humour to do anything but hug and read stories. Calpol/Nurofen helped and toast!
    I noticed on the way home I had a few spots on my hands...then the next morning my face, feet and legs etc. We had it bad for 7 days (I looked like a zombie with the rash!) GP said it's unusual to get it as an adult but it could be because my immune system is down as I'm pregnant.
    Anyway, sorry for the essay but it gets better after a week usually. It's spread by contact of bodily fluids so keep hygiene up when changing nappies, cleaning burst spots and don't share drinks etc. It's not a nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hey there, myself and my 15 month old had it 3 weeks ago. He got it first. Very high temperature after a morning at a toddler group, then sick and then the next morning he had spots around his mouth and the line of his nappy. It looked awful. Brought him to the GP and he said he had a throat infection and put him on antibiotics (first time) and cream for rash. No improvement over the weekend, rash all over legs, feet and hands. Went to out of hours GP and they just prescribed another cream. Back to GP on Monday and he sent us into hospital to see a paediatrician as the rash looked infected...they said it's a viral thing called hand, foot and mouth and it just has to fun it's course. He was very sick looking with it. No humour to do anything but hug and read stories. Calpol/Nurofen helped and toast!
    I noticed on the way home I had a few spots on my hands...then the next morning my face, feet and legs etc. We had it bad for 7 days (I looked like a zombie with the rash!) GP said it's unusual to get it as an adult but it could be because my immune system is down as I'm pregnant.
    Anyway, sorry for the essay but it gets better after a week usually. It's spread by contact of bodily fluids so keep hygiene up when changing nappies, cleaning burst spots and don't share drinks etc. It's not a nice one!

Sounds exactly like us last year woollywoman. My little lad got it and passed it onto me! I was also pregnant! This year we got it again a few weeks ago. My little guy got it again. But my wee girl didn't seem to get it (don't know why!?). He was so sore and couldn't eat or drink. His mouth was covered in sores on the inside! Avoid anything acidic like juices and citric acid. Calpol and nurofen used here for the pain. Nice warm baths seemed to relieve him slightly and put him In good form. Ice cream was sometimes tolerable....

• Advertisement

We are just over it again here too: we used orabase and vaseline mixed together for nappies and small amounts of orabase on its own on some of the worst ulcers in her mouth and on her chin... It forms a protective barrier so works really, really well! Doc okayed it :) Ive been using it for mouth ulcers for years but hadnt really thought of using it for her!

Advertisement