Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How about taking in none of them?

Really the best thing to do, they create completely avoidable and completely unnecessary problems for the country with zero benefits. How this was ever even considered by europe is beyond me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He takes out his ruler and starts measuring their skulls. How do you think he can tell? People have accents, Nodin. It's quite easy to tell where they are from based on their accent. Anyway, can you cite sources to back up your claims that we vet all non EU migrants before they come here?

"Good character means that you show respect for the laws of the State. In this regard vetting and background checks will be conducted. This will involve enquiries with An Garda Síochána and enquiries may also be made with other agencies.
    You must give details of all criminal convictions both within and outside the State in the relevant section of the application form, including road traffic offences. You must provide details of any offences for which you have been arrested but have not been formally charged. Please note that if you are arrested or charged with an offence after you have made your application you must inform the citizenship section of it.
    In relation to questions 11.9 and 11.10 on Form8 or 10.9 and 10.10 on Form11, if you do not regard something you have done as an act of terrorism but others do or might, you must include details of it in the ADDITIONAL DETAILS section.
    If you have failed to disclose any material facts then your application is unlikely to be successful"
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Frequently%20asked%20Questions%20about%20Irish%20Citizenship%20and%20Naturalisation

Doubtless now we'll get the 'those checks are useless' line or some derivative thereof.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because there were lots of them in all the schools and colleges Ive gone to and I knew them, and I know lots of nigerians through friends and social gatherings I go to. Thats what makes me think dublin has a very large nigerian population
    And I assume most black people I see on the streets in dublin are nigerian, which most of them probably are

Do ye now?

There are 50,000 "black" people in Ireland, so no, most of them aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

That is for those applying for naturalised citizenship here. Those applying for naturalisation are already resident in the state. Otherwise they would not qualify for naturalisation. You claimed that those coming here from non EU countries are vetted beforehand. Cite sources for that claim.

Really the best thing to do, they create completely avoidable and completely unnecessary problems for the country with zero benefits. How this was ever even considered by europe is beyond me..

Who is "they" and what problems have they caused for the country?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Who is "they" and what problems have they caused for the country?

They is the illegal refugees. The problem is we can't afford to house them and support their lives

That is for those applying for naturalised citizenship here. Those applying for naturalisation are already resident in the state. Otherwise they would not qualify for naturalisation. You claimed that those coming here from non EU countries are vetted beforehand. Cite sources for that claim.

My, aren't we aggressive.

What will we find wrong with this, I wonder?
    http://www.nascireland.org/know-your-rights/immigrants-in-ireland-and-identity-documents/pq-immigration-policy-criminal-background-check/

Will the counter claims go on until you boldy maintain there are no checks at all? Ahh, the sense of deja vu....

They is the illegal refugees. The problem is we can't afford to house them and support their lives

I wasn't aware we had a problem with not being able to house illegal refugees, seeing as we haven't taken any as of yet (presuming you refer to the matter mentioned in the OP). Are you posting from some disastrous future?

Do ye now?

There are 50,000 "black" people in Ireland, so no, most of them aren't.

Approx 1 in 4 black people in Ireland are Nigerian, so its a good guess.. and what difference does it make? There is still a large nigerian community in ireland as the other poster was saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Frequently%20asked%20Questions%20about%20Irish%20Citizenship%20and%20Naturalisation

Doubtless now we'll get the 'those checks are useless' line or some derivative thereof.
    Irish Naturalisation and Citizenship

Residence is now calculated in days – you must have residency permission for the 365 days immediately prior to the date of application (366 days if permission encompasses 29th February) plus 1,460 days in the 8 years prior to that period (+1 day for any period encompassing 29th February).

We're talking about Aslyum Seekers/Refugees. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but citizenship and refugee applications are different, no? How does background checks for citizenship equate to background checks for those making applications for refugee status at a border/immigration facility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I seem to remember a fine upstanding student from eiratrea who came here on a student visa 6 weeks later violently raped a young student .
    He's still here based off human rights law .
    He was deemed to be a extremely dangerous offender who will attack again .

Approx 1 in 4 black people in Ireland are Nigerian, so its a good guess.. and what difference does it make? There is still a large nigerian community in ireland as the other poster was saying

"most" is now one in 4. Your attention to detail shames me Sir.

Gatling wrote: »
    I seem to remember a fine upstanding student from eiratrea who came here on a student visa 6 weeks later violently raped a young student .
    He's still here based off human rights law .
    He was deemed to be a extremely dangerous offender who will attack again .

Yep. You've a point there.....?

I wasn't aware we had a problem with not being able to house illegal refugees, seeing as we haven't taken any as of yet (presuming you refer to the matter mentioned in the OP). Are you posting from some disastrous future?

No such thing as illegal refugees. I presume you mean bogus asylum seekers. Well, we have 5k in DP and a massive social housing crisis in this country. Hell, even 600 genuine refugees, those successful in their asylum claim, are still stuck in DP due to the lack of available housing.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-600-granted-asylum-have-no-homes-1.2131274

Yep. You've a point there.....?

Alot to be said about so called background checks wouldn't you agree if a violent rapist can just arrive on a student visa

Source
    Department of Justice have revealed how much Ireland’s asylum system is costing the government with at least an estimated €150 million spent each year.
    There are currently 4,353 asylum seekers in Ireland and concerns have again been raised recently about the living conditions they endure at accommodation centres around the country, where many of them have been living for more than a decade. Over 68% of asylum seekers in the country at the moment first sought asylum over three years ago.

Since the Government doubled the numbers of refugees we'll be taking in to 572 per 20,000 (with 1 million waiting to cross) we could, quite possibly, see an increase of 28,600 applicants. Which, if the current figures are anything to go by, (around €33,000 per head) we'll be spending an additional €940+ million.

We're talking about Aslyum Seekers/Refugees. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but citizenship and refugee applications are different, no? How does background checks for citizenship equate to background checks for those making applications for refugee status at a border/immigration facility?

http://www.nascireland.org/know-your-rights/immigrants-in-ireland-and-identity-documents/pq-immigration-policy-criminal-background-check/

Alot to be said about so called background checks wouldn't you agree if a violent rapist can just arrive on a student visa

You realise that there is no magic wand that can be waved at people that screams "He'll rape!!!" and thus allow them be detained before they commit the crime? Or three people floating in a tank feeding similar information to some Garda with a resemblance to Tom Cruise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I agree with the Brits here. These migrants are mainly not asylum seekers from North African countries in which the west has intervened (and therefore would have a moral obligation to take them in) but are economic migrants from places like Eritrea and Somalia. Taking them in will encourage more and more in an endless escalation.

You're right... F them all, let them starve to death, but if they are from a country involved in a war "we" are trying to help in... we are ok to help out... :rolleyes:

You're right... F them all, let them starve to death, but if they are from a country involved in a war "we" are trying to help in... we are ok to help out... :rolleyes:

How in the bugger is NATO (which we're not a member of)'s actions something we should be responsible for? Ireland doesn't have the capability to police its own air lanes, doesn't even have the capabilities to watch its own air corridor (which is incredibly, incredibly busy) never mind be an instrumental partner in a bombing or land campaign.

If you're going to use the military-shtick, you might want to canvas for us actually having a military that you can blame first.

• Advertisement

You realise that there is no magic wand that can be waved at people that screams "He'll rape!!!" and thus allow them be detained before they commit the crime? Or three people floating in a tank feeding similar information to some Garda with a resemblance to Tom Cruise?

No but there's but such thing as Return to Sender .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anyone heard this story?
    Malaysian authorities have reportedly discovered 30 mass graves believed to contain the bodies of hundreds of Rohingyas and Bangladeshis near Malaysia's border with Thailand.

The shock find follows the discovery of similar mass graves in Thailand early in May, which prompted Thai authorities to crack down on human trafficking networks.
    http://www.smh.com.au/world/bangladesh-pm-sheikh-hasina-slams-starving-migrants-as-mentally-sick-20150525-gh8ua0

This has been going on for years but it finally seems that the Thai and Maly government have had enough and are trying a different tact in an effort to stop the human trafficking of migrants and refugees.

Of course us westerns love to beat ourselves up about this, as if all the worlds problems are there to be fixed. To put it in context" Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina slams starving migrants as 'mentally sick"
    http://www.smh.com.au/world/bangladesh-pm-sheikh-hasina-slams-starving-migrants-as-mentally-sick-20150525-gh8ua0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nope, even if someone is a lying cheat, rapist or murderer and they have committed crimes here in Ireland and even if they have been found to be here illegally they cannot be deported if they are seen as being vulnerable to abuses in their country of origin. Great system eh! :rolleyes:

Imagine for a second he was American. He arrives here and does what he did. It then turns out he's wanted in America for murder in a state with the death penalty. He would still not be sent back, unless guarantees were given the death sentence will not be sought. Same in all EU states.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Imagine for a second he was American. He arrives here and does what he did. It then turns out he's wanted in America for murder in a state with the death penalty. He would still not be sent back, unless guarantees were given the death sentence will not be sought. Same in all EU states.

He should be sent back though; American, Eritrean or anything else. No way should this person become our responsibility.

He should be sent back though; American, Eritrean or anything else. No way should this person become our responsibility.
    Following his conviction, Ms Justice Maureen Clark, who described Mekonnen as a very damaged and disturbed man who was at high risk of re- offending,

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/violent-rapist-has-visa-renewed-as-he-cannot-be-deported-30336581.html

That's the cut and dry of it for me. Why take someone in if they possess a significant risk to your citizens. If he didn't want to be sent back, then he should not have committed rape.

But of course we are stuck with him now and the Gardai have to monitor him so he doesn't reoffend.

If the Americans wanted an on the run murderer who claimed asylum here, he would be back in the states fairly fecking sharpish. You're delusional if you think differently.

Regardless of whether principles you want to live upto regarding Asylum seekers and so on the fact is that everyone knows this level of immigration is not sustainable. The international treaties need to be re-signed to set limits so that it is sustainable.

Unfortunately there are probably billions of people around the world from wartorn countries. The idea that Europe can take all in is rediculous.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/violent-rapist-has-visa-renewed-as-he-cannot-be-deported-30336581.html

That's the cut and dry of it for me. Why take someone in if they possess a significant risk to your citizens. If he didn't want to be sent back, then he should not have committed rape.

But of course we are stuck with him now and the Gardai have to monitor him so he doesn't reoffend.

Exactly.

Boggles the mind that anyone could defend keeping him in this country.

In some people's minds foreign immigrants lives are more important than Irish people's lives, regardless of the circumstances.

• Advertisement

Nodin would change his tune if such a character was rehoused beside his girlfriend, family member or female friend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement